Tuk-Tuks Blockade US Military In Phuket

webfact

If Farang wants to come to Thailand, they should contribute to the local economy too.

Next time, they bring their own van, to visit their own bars, and drink their own beers, and perhaps even import their own girls (from the Philippines).

Dear Khun Rucharee,

For long term Farang over here, we already do drive our own cars, many already have imported their long term girl friends from the Philippines(I am the last to still have a Thai wife), and already do drink their own beers at each other's house bars instead of travelling in rip off taxis to rip off bars to be scowled at by ignorant bar service staff.:)

The only thing that kept many Farang from actually moving to the P.I.'s was the perceived safety benefits of Thailand - I guess many Farang Bangkok residents will be reconsidering the perceived safety benefits after recent events.:D

The key point here, is Farang perfectly understand the difference between patriotism and price gouging or rip-offs. No one minds contributing to the local economy, and most begrudgingly understand or tolerate the racial prejudice of the two tier Thai/Farang price structure as a kind of patriotism - BUT Farang hate price gouging and rip-offs of any sort - 2,000Baht for a taxi on this route is a rip-off.

The inability of the local police to really control what goes on around the pier roads shows who is really in control there - the taxi mafia is... not the police or local government. As long as everyone understands this, that is fine :D

Just wondering, do you in Phuket? I explained the system as I understand it in Phuket, in my last post.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2,000 bath to go to Patong ??????????? and they are surprised that US navy organized their own transportation ? Phuket taxi are a total rip off ,prices are as high as in Europe . Let them cry a bit and get back to reality . And they are angry ...what next ? the hookers in Patong will block the bars because of their fees ? Phuket has become a joke in the asia region. I stopped to go there long ago as it became a total mess.

I stopped going to that shit hole a long time ago also. The Navy should boycott the place.

Details of what transpired last night have yet to be fully confirmed, but sources told the Gazette this morning that the blockade lasted several hours and was only broken up around midnight following negotiations between the drivers and police, local government and military negotiators.

What a hoot... A few (many?) rogue drivers can be powerful enough to require multiparty negotiations?

It is a shameful thing for the USA Navy to supply Officers free transportation, while making their ordinary sailors pay 2000 Baht for a ride into town.

Shame on you USA Navy!

As per the first quote, details about what happened are sketchy.

I would not be going out on a limb to state categorically that the premise of enlisted taking taxis and officers getting provided free vans is completely false.

If Farang wants to come to Thailand, they should contribute to the local economy too.

Next time, they bring their own van, to visit their own bars, and drink their own beers, and perhaps even import their own girls (from the Philippines).

And 2,000 baht for a short ride in an old battered pickup truck is ok, in your opinion?

I personally agree with most of what's been posted by you guys but, Rucharee please read the report at the top of this page, Phuket and Thailand make big business from resupplying US war ships.

The US Navy should go back to R&R'ing in Pattaya where they will be treated better and gat away from the obnoxious Mafia Taxi/Tuk tuk drivers. I live in Phuket,always have for past 13 years and love it but

I wish we had the same system for taxis as they do in Pattaya, The Baht bus, dirt cheap but always busy, Tuk Tuks ? Well, how many hundreds of them do we see with no punters here all over Phuket but they are a joke in Patong, you can't find a parking space and they are double/treble parked ????

Rucharee, how would you feel about paying a "minimum" 2,000 Baht, that's only the Minimum ?wink.gif

I guess you didn't read the article or don't understand english! To quote the article: "People think the only benefit to the local economy is the money sailors spend on nightlife, but that is only the tip of the iceberg. When the USS Ronald Reagan was here they loaded 14 containers of supplies. It is a huge business and it would be a shame if we were to lose it because of the greed of a small group of taxi drivers."

They will just go to the Philippines or Singapore or somewhere else they and their money is welcomed! Talk about arrogance, the Thai's win the prize on this hugh blunder!

theres really a vessel named the uss ronald reaganlaugh.gif

Um..helloo...it's only the worlds most powerful warship.

Having avoided Phuket for the 10 years I have been here I was finally unable to avoid a trip there on business. Scam upon scam and more scams on every corner. Everything from rented motorcycles travelling 112 kms and being charged 1,200 Baht for the fuel, Tuk Tuks who only would go where they wanted, and at stupid money (love to see these t*rds survive in Bangkok), hotels charging double budget rates for my Thai workers in stinking holes that were 1 star if that, and arrogance beyond belief of many an Expat 'local' I met that I was unable to avoid to do business with. And let's not forget the police!

But with no metre'd taxis available, a walking street that was the pits my clients insisted in seeing, I was appalled at the depravity which is far beyond anything available at Patpong (just) and especially Cowboy and Nana. Everything for open pedophilia to available drugs on every corner.

I have no desire to go anywhere near Phuket again and advise my clients weekly when asked do they want to work there for what I do. I have effectively turned away more than 10M Baht in business in the last year from Phuket spreading it into Krabi and other more reasonable places with far better people, and will continue to do so. I have also advised the two Govt agencies I deal with of the issues there, not that it will make much difference, and have also placed a warning on my websites which get about 10-15,000 hits a month on enquiry for Thailand. It is only small retaliation but right now this is the type of thing Abhisit should be addressing.

I would ban Phuket and all within it and force its secession from mainland Thailand. It is the pits. annoyed.gif

Mind you - would love to see the sailors have a rumble in the jungle with the Tuk Tuk guys - now that would really have been fun - and I bet none of them wore their red shirts!

Other than the bit about the Tuktuks, this is a nice little bit of pure fiction. Thank you Mr. Krabi investor/hotel operator/tour operator. (Aka Asiawatcher)

they could just hire a bunch of somchai to goto the airport, rent 800baht a day honda jazz and drive them around all day...

takes 5mins of planning and a couple poor somechais

Sorry but, I guess you missed this part of the article: In the past, the sailors were taken to Patong in large air-conditioned coaches.

The appearance of the passenger vans in their place infuriated the tuk-tuk drivers, who thought their ‘turf’ was being infringed upon. A false rumor circulated among the taxi drivers that the sailors were paying 200 baht a head to board the vans, which in fact were provided free-of-charge, just as the buses were in the past.

So, the US Navy hired local mini buses or vans, instead of the large tour buses, and this is what happens? What's the difference? Larger bus or more 'vans." More people employed or less? Just didn't hire the local mob!

No-one seems to have mentioned that the Police duty officer was no where to be seen, the shift had, what could have turned out to be a major problem, and the duty officer couldn't let himself be dragged away? To do his duty!...great suffering mergatrood! What was he doing ....hiding in the toilet?:):D

Many Thais have already lost their jobs and livelihood this won't solve the problem, the problem is that Phuket and Chiang Mai have powerful people in charge of the Tuk-Tuks and it will take time to change the system. It will take a strong Prime Minister who is not afraid of the consequences

I've even heard it suggested that members of the police force are often the owners of the tuk tuks. The drivers have to pay a daily rate to the owner and after that hope to make a profit.

I have no way of knowing if this is true. If it were true, think of the conflict of interest to send the police to remove the blockade. It's not too hard to imagine why there is no public transport in Phuket.

MONEY MONEY MONEY

I'll take it one step further. Many police own tuk tuks and when they arrest someone, they give them a choice of prison or work for me driving a tuk tuk. Kind of like slavery, one could say. As another person I've know here for years said to me, the only mafia here is the police, they run the tuk tuks and most everything illegal and corrupt. I have a story or two of my own... Also it's a high buy in for the policeman to be stationed in Phuket. So, how is ever going to change? When they get hit where it hurts, their wallets! The US Navy should boycott Phuket! Send a clear message to the Thai Government!

I have never heard that, but if it is true, it sure would explain a lot of their behaviors.

Rucharee, I will be visiting Thailand in not too many months, and I'll be happy to rent a Thai van, visit a Thai bar, and drink Thai beer. But from what I have read, over and over, I have crossed Phuket off my list of places to visit.

If everything Thai is about respect, then Phuket seems to have left Thailand.

Why is Thailand still letting US military/navy into their country?????

I was just reading yesterday about how Pattaya became a sex tourism destination like it is today... it all started thanks to American troops being stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war.

Screw the US and their NWO. Al Qaeda is a US made up enemy:

[/url]

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c-v34Lf0g6U

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I take it you are a newbee on this planet too or did you just escape from a mental hospital ?unsure.gif

No-one seems to have mentioned that the Police duty officer was no where to be seen, the shift had, what could have turned out to be a major problem, and the duty officer couldn't let himself be dragged away? To do his duty!...great suffering mergatrood! What was he doing ....hiding in the toilet?:):D

He's the big boss of the local tuk tuks!cool.gif

Wow ! you are really trolling for some nasty comment aren't you.

Based on the 36 replies (and counting) in this thread to the 2 sentence post, it has been quite successful at its intent.

move on. visit some developed country. problem solved.

Developed countries don't offer the same "recreation" at the same price...

Yes they do and without the BS ripoff and disrespect that has been going on too long in Thailand. Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia will kill the Tourism that Thailand has enjoyed and ruined by the greed of many for to long. The Land of Smiles has turned into the Land of Scams.

2000 baht ($60.00) for a 10 minute ride in a piece of <deleted> !!! get real !!! USN go to the Philippines for your R&R where you are respected and welcomed.

The thing is Thais like Rucharee dont mind farangs getting ripped off.

Where is Rucharee to defend that intelligent and well thought out post, typical Thai.

Dear Khun Rucharee,

Geez, do you guys really all believe this person is actually Thai? :):D

I agree. However I think the Tuk Tuks and Taxi drivers shouldn't see this as an opportunity to rip off farangs. If they are willing to accept reasonable fares, then the US should definitely contribute to the local economy by using the local transportation services.

The thing is Thais like Rucharee dont mind farangs getting ripped off.

Where is Rucharee to defend that intelligent and well thought out post, typical Thai.

Dear Khun Rucharee,

Geez, do you guys really all believe this person is actually Thai? :):D

Ofcourse we do. We're all "typical farangs". We'll believe anything we read :D

Yes... Didn't you read the article either? It is I think the newest US Aircraft carrier. Many US ships are named after US President's

The really discordant name, of course, is the USS Jimmy Carter.

Carter didn't get a carrier, an attack sub is named after him.

The Navy was invited by your governmnet. Thailand makes BIG $$$ fron the USA on this. The Bus drivers were from Thailand and it was a Thai company being paid. GREEDY and STUPID people did this.....Mafia!....That is the problem...Go ahead run all your tourist off....When you run out of customers...blame yourself....I am sure Singapore will not treat the Navy like that. I would never expect you to think beyound today anyway. :)

move on. visit some developed country. problem solved.

Developed countries don't offer the same "recreation" at the same price...

Yes they do and without the BS ripoff and disrespect that has been going on too long in Thailand. Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia will kill the Tourism that Thailand has enjoyed and ruined by the greed of many for to long. The Land of Smiles has turned into the Land of Scams.

2000 baht ($60.00) for a 10 minute ride in a piece of <deleted> !!! get real !!! USN go to the Philippines for your R&R where you are respected and welcomed.

Not all of Thailand is like Phuket! And not all of Phuket is like Patong! I've lived here in Phuket for over five years. I know what's up, where to avoid and what not to do. I feel sorry for the tourists that don't have a clue. Most of the Thai's here that are not Phuket native. They come here for money from the rich farang tourists. Same with Kamoey's (thieves), they seem to be native to other provinces. They come here to steal from farang and Thai as well. I live in a town that used to be pretty small, we didn't even have a bank here until about three years ago. All the local Thai's know me and treat me with respect, as I do them. My GF goes to a shop or the bank and they ask where I am, am I alright. It's a community.

As far as tuk tuks; as I said before they should be made illegal! That would stir the pot and it would boil over. But 2,000 Baht trip in a little piece of crap truck for a maximum of a half hour (they have no horsepower) trip that should take 20 minutes is insane. I went to Don Muang, a couple of months ago and took a meter taxi from there to Sa Kaew, almost a three hour drive, one way for 1,500 baht. The taxi driver wanted more to pick us up, so I called an old friend in Bangkok, who's a taxi driver. He came and got us in Sa Kaew to Don Muang for 1,500, gas and expressway tolls included! Something needs to be done about the lack of public transportation on this island. My 90 minute round trip from my house to the Phuket airport was the same price as a 3 hour drive in a Bangkok meter taxi!sad.gif Crazy!

I notice that more and more people arriving at Pattaya Nua bus station walk across the road and hail a passing baht bus rather than patronise the bus station taxi mafia. May that long continue.

hm... mafia at Pattaya Nuea? as i remember, they always asked 20 baht (for shared trip of coz). and, considering a distance between there and, say, soi 13/1 second rd., where I often lived before, maybe it's not exactly cheap, but (for Pattaya) is reasonable

but, last time when I arrived to Pattaya few weeks ago (from Udon), tuk tuk drivers near Pattaya Klang didn't want to bargain for less than 50 for 1.5 km just straight to Klang/Buakhao corner... and yes that's while they saw I came from Udon and also while I bargained with them in Thai!

i just ended up crossing Sukhumvit myself, then catching 10 b songthaew down Pattaya Klang (was not difficult at all even at 7.30 am)

about Phuket tuk tuks... i heard a lot about them, so, when finally i visited Phuket 10 to 15 may this year after coming back from Indonesia, i even never tried to talk with them

but of course saw those crazy 900 baht prices to Patong at the airport... of course, my choice was a bus to Phuket town for 85

In the past we also paid THB 20 for a shared trip in a bahtbus (sorngtaew) from Pattaya Nuea Bus Station to Beach Road/Pattaya South Road.

That is not too expensive, normally you pay THB 10 for a single trip, e.g. from Sukhumvit Road until Second Road.

Moreover some people were carrying suitcases.

When you take a bahtbus “private” (no tuktuks in Pattaya !), you have to discuss the price: normally prices start at THB 100 for a trip in town.

So, you risked your life crossing Sukhumvit Road twice just to save THB 30 (THB 50 - 2 x THB 10).

Other times and places (including Thailand), the folks who stood to make real money from a visit by a carrier group would not have been amused by somebody like the tuk-tuk drivers potentially breaking the golden egg and would have taken care of the problem quietly and efficiently.

Yes... Didn't you read the article either? It is I think the newest US Aircraft carrier. Many US ships are named after US President's

The really discordant name, of course, is the USS Jimmy Carter.

Carter didn't get a carrier, an attack sub is named after him.

Actually that would be fitting as he was a submariner! He started on diesel electric subs and served on one of the first nuclear subs. How many leaders of any nation can say that and then go on to build houses for the poor of the world, through "Habitat For Humanity?" I'm sorry i didn't vote for him, as I knew he would get screwed, as he did. I voted for Gerald Ford, as I didn't want Ronald Reagan to run the US. Especially after seeing what he did to California as Governor and as the president of The Screen Actors Guild!

Edited by Jimi007

Looks like Farang have already moved on to one of your more reasonable neighbors. Arrogant people like you give Thais a bad name. Let's hope more and more Farang move on and prices become more fitting to the 3rd world country that it is. Then it will be a reasonable tourist destination again.

International tourist arrivals (2009)

1 France 74.2 million

2 United States 54.9 million

3 Spain 52.2 million

4 China 50.9 million

5 Italy 43.2 million

6 United Kingdom 28.0 million

7 Turkey 25.5 million

8 Germany 24.2 million

9 Malaysia 23.6 million

10 Mexico 21.5 million

Wait until 2010 results are in. This is a win win situation for everyone. Less Farang coming, makes you happy. Prices dropping makes things easier for those of us still here. Keep up the good work is what I say :)

"police and Wichit Municipality negotiators to go back to an old agreement allowing the local taxis access to low-ranking US military personnel while only officers could take advantage of the free van service provided by an outside contractor"

So just the poor low paid sailors have to use the 2000 baht tuk tuks, while officers get free transportation. Nice. bah.gif

Yes, and who was doing the negotiations on the navy's behalf? Certainly not enlisted men.

Dr.Weng?