New Slim Led Sony Bravia

Maejo Man

Just returned from a fruitless couple of hours at Siam Electrics. My TV spat the dummy last night, so I thought I would replace it with with the new Bravia, which has a brilliiant picture.

Found what I wanted at Siam Electrics, and went to pay for it, and my card was refused! A Thai issued Amex that I use even at the local PTT station. Cash or Visa was what they wanted, and I had neither on me.

Who else is likely to stock the top of the range Bravia? Obviously Siam Electrics didn't need another 50,000 baht sale today....

I understand how you fell but I have never been turned down on a Visa or Master Card but on an AMEX there are allot of stores that well not deal with them due to their high percentage charge to use and late pay out. I stopped using AMX 25 years ago.

try Power Buy, no idea about service, what cards they take etc thou

KSK 3rd or 4th floor

Theres a Sony store @ Airport Central Mall 4th floor?, good chance they have Bravia as well

Good one, thanks mate, never thought of Power Buy, will give them a go tomorrow.

I understand how you fell but I have never been turned down on a Visa or Master Card but on an AMEX there are allot of stores that well not deal with them due to their high percentage charge to use and late pay out. I stopped using AMX 25 years ago.

As soon as American Express learned that I was living in Thailand they immediately proceeded to reduce my revolving credit line from US $12,500.00 to $2,500.00!

As soon as American Express learned that I was living in Thailand they immediately proceeded to reduce my revolving credit line from US $12,500.00 to $2,500.00!

Mine is a Thai issued card and carries substantially more than US 12,500 but it still won't get me a new tellyunsure.gif Just digressing, why not cancel your US card and get a local one, with heaps more benefits.

As Donnyboy said, try the Sony Center in Central Airport Plaza. The top of the range Bravia LED is a lot more than 50,000 Baht though. You could also try Niompanich on the road that runs from CAP to the south-west corner of the moat - they have a large selection of Sony TVs. I've been looking at a new LED TV myself, but I can't remember seeing any Sony ones in Power Buy. There's also a large Siam TV in Lamphun, but you may have the same credit card problem there.

Mine is a Thai issued card and carries substantially more than US 12,500 but it still won't get me a new tellyunsure.gif Just digressing, why not cancel your US card and get a local one, with heaps more benefits.

Better yet get a Visa or MasterCard because you will have this problem again where AMEX is not honored by certain stores. Be prepared for this rejection.

Better yet get a Visa or MasterCard because you will have this problem again where AMEX is not honored by certain stores. Be prepared for this rejection.

Never had a problem here in the 12 years I have had a Thai Amex. My PTT garage takes it, as do Tesco Lotus, Big C, Home Pro, Global, Rimping, Robinsons, and all the hotels I stay at. I realise that Amex have the highest charge of all the cards, but my points on Amex have paid for 5 overseas trips in the last few years, that's why I like to use it for just about all my purchases. Will see what today produces.......off shoppingsmile.gif

KSK 3rd or 4th floor

Theres a Sony store @ Airport Central Mall 4th floor?, good chance they have Bravia as well

Good one, thanks mate, never thought of Power Buy, will give them a go tomorrow.

Try Nimonpanich near Airport Plaza (Toyoto dealer). They are very good and are giving discounts on Sony TV's during the world cup as they are one of the sponsors. Not sure if they take Amex because the commission fees that Amex charge are about 5% compared with 3% for visa or mastercard

:(Good luck in your search

KSK 3rd or 4th floor

All done and dustedsmile.gif Thanks for everybody's help. I ended up getting it at Carrefour at Siam Electrics discount price....AND..... they threw in a free regular Samsung 21" TV They delivered it about half an hour ago. Now I'm a happy chappybiggrin.gif

Glad to hear you got there in the end MM.

Just a couple of quick questions -

Which model did you buy?

Do you think the Sony's picture is a lot better than the Samsung's?

And were you able to usr your AMEX Card?

Which model did you buy?

After a lot of comparing several models I settled on the 40EX500 which is in fact an LCD. The equivalent LED was another 35,000 baht . I don't use Blu-ray so the enhancement that LED gives Blu-ray would be a waste. So for downloaded movies, DVD's and True Vision it's fine.

As far as picture quality goes, I have always thought it was a matter of personal choice, but I would go for Sony over Samsung any day.

Which model did you buy?

After a lot of comparing several models I settled on the 40EX500 which is in fact an LCD. The equivalent LED was another 35,000 baht . I don't use Blu-ray so the enhancement that LED gives Blu-ray would be a waste. So for downloaded movies, DVD's and True Vision it's fine.

As far as picture quality goes, I have always thought it was a matter of personal choice, but I would go for Sony over Samsung any day.

Tx for the answers MM :)

I'd lose the AMEX card. They charge a higher fee to store operators, so obviously they don't like them. Visa is the way to go.

So I'd turn it around: It is AMEX who apparently don't want a 50,000 transaction, seeing the exorbitant fees they want.

Why would I want to loose it? It's generated five free overseas trips for me in the last few years, and various other perks and freebies along the way. I have several overseas issued Visa cards, but choose not to use them because of the costs of overseas transactions and conversion fees.

For a Thai issued Visa the banks want a guarantee in a fixed deposit equivalent to your monthly card limit.

My Thai issued Amex has been accepted everywhere, small stores and Siam Electrics excepted. It cost me little more than a Thai issued Visa account, so why on earth would I want to loose it?

Which model did you buy?

Tx for the answers MM :)

Good buy, you have got yourself a nice TV there.

But actually LED gives an improvement to all signals not just Blu-Ray. One of the main benefits being an enhanced color accuracy including blacker blacks. Another Big difference is the thickness of the screens, an LED screen will usually be around 10 cm thick (I think yours is 9.9 if I remember correctly), a LCD is a quarter of that which gives a more elegant TV.

As for Samsung vs Sony, if you are getting a LED TV Samsung is defiantly market leader for a reason, they have pioneered the technology and IMO you get more bang for your bucks. When it comes to LED technology, that is now so tried and tested that you'll get great quality from both brands, and you are better of deciding by price rather than brand.

Edited by AndersSN