Going To States -Return Ticket Needed?

nilster

I have a flight (thaiairways) to L.A. next tuesday. Ticket is one way only, because Im planning to continue to Europe after two-four weeks. Now I read from forums that US authority require return ticket to show when entering country. And its possible that Thaiairways dont let me to plane here in BKK if I dont have return ticket? Id like to know is that rule keeped eye on lately. I rather buy off-US ticket when know better how long I like to stay in the country.

What is your nationality? If US citizen, you don't need a return ticket. Or, if you have a visa already, you are OK. I have flown to the US and back here to Thailand on one way tickets several times. Never a problem.

But...did have a problem going to the Philippines. I was going to get a visa on arrival and the airlines said I needed a return ticket. So, I bought a full fare, fully refundable return, applied for the refund in Manila, and got credit back on my card in about 60 days....

If I understand this correctly the U.S. customs agents just want to make sure you are not going to stay long term in the U.S. and all you need to show is that you have booked departure transportation. This might be a little different idea but maybe you could buy an LA to Tiawana, Mexico bus ticket (dated for four weeks after your arrival) on-line before you go to LA. I am not sure this would work but you could check with a travel agent to make sure.

BB

My wife's Thai and the only time U.S. Immigration has looked at her ticket, in about 10 trips, was once when she had less than six months remaining on her passport, need to show that we were departing in two weeks.

The other times she/we just put the estimated length of our stay in the U.S., usually 4-6 weeks, on the I-94 form, and she's always been stamped in for six (6) months. Guess the Immigration folks don't like to bother resetting their stamp to another period! Never asked for a ticket.

I'd go with your one-way ticket, just show up at Swampy a bit early in case there's a question by your airline.

Mac

There are two issues here. One is the airlines here in Thailand...the other is US immigration...customs does not deal with this...they only get involved if you are bring in too much stuff, the wrong stuff, etc.

The airlines here will look at your passport to make sure they are no immigration issues. Reason? They don't want to have any problems with you when you can't get into the US due to immigration problems (i.e. they may have to fly you back here at their expense!). As long as you are a citizen...or have a visa (I-94 included)...or a green card....you are OK.

If you don't have a visa or US passport, you will have problems. The airlines here will catch it initially.

Some of the US airlines websites have details on this...but only some of them...

...they may have to fly you back here at their expense!

Thats exactly what I heard too. Now I called Thaiairways and after 15min waiting the lady there found out that I need return ticket too, and they will check it before I can enter plane. Im from Finland and I dont need visa in USA if I stay there less than three months, but that return ticket is needed. I think its same practice with most of EU citizens(?)

Now, any guesses whats the cheapest route to fly Canada or Mexico from US?

Ty for all for answers so far :)

As others have pointed out, the airlines have to return you if you are inadmissible to the country you are traveling to. If you have purchased a round trip ticket and you are sent back they have received payment and the transaction is complete. When you check in on a one-way ticket the agent is supposed to check something like this Delta Airlines site that tells them the entry requirements. Incidentally, proof of overland travel to Canada or Mexico is not acceptable in this case according to the link although it does mention something about travel to adjoining blah blah blah. Having a visa is the pre-approval that the airline is looking for to guarantee you will be allowed entry in the case of a one-way ticket.

I understand the desire to be flexible depending how long you want to stay but you should be careful how you do it. My advice is to buy the cheapest, changeable ticket to your final destination. You might have to show US immigration proof of onward travel which to them may not just mean a plane ticket. If I were looking for proof from someone who said they were going to Canada I would want to see their hotel reservation information as well unless they were a Canadian citizen. We are talking about the US here, most people will breeze through but they can be sticklers for detail even with their own citizens. Some of them assume that everyone wants to live in the land of the free so it is up to you to prove you are leaving. The last thing you want is to get tripped up with a ticket you had no intention of using. In my over 50 encounters with US immigration I have learned that you never know exactly what will happen so be prepared. I have breezed through in seconds and I have been taken aside and questioned extensively, all depends on the mood of the agent, my plans and answers, and the alignment of the moon and stars.

There is no requirement for return tickets - the most that would be required is onward tickets to next destination. But it appears even that is not required if pax can show financial means to obtain.

/ 16JUN10 / 1041 UTC

National U.S.A. (US) /Destination Finland (FI)

Finland (FI)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for the period of intended stay.

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 90 days in any 6

months period:

Additional Information:

- Joint passports must include For details, click here

- Valid visas in expired, invalidated or full passports or

travel documents are not accepted.

- All visitors must hold return or onward tickets or

sufficient funds and other documents required for next

destination.

- This country is a Schengen member state TIRULES/R33

Warning:

- Non-compliance with entry regulations can lead to refusal of

passenger and

For details, click here

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - SOUTH AFRICA: FIFA 2010 WORLD CUP

Timaticweb Version 1.3

16 June 2010

I would recommend you get a fully refundable ticket from one of the larger airlines....preferably one that is NOT American. I have found the US based airlines are sometimes harder to deal with. I got my refundable ticket from Emirates. Got all my money back in 60 days....but had to charge a large sum on my credit card...

What airline are you flying to the USA?

My experience concurs with MrBean except to qualify 'round' ticket as 'onward' ticket.

As others have pointed out, the airlines have to return you if you are inadmissible to the country you are traveling to. If you have purchased a round trip ticket and you are sent back they have received payment and the transaction is complete. When you check in on a one-way ticket the agent is supposed to check something like this Delta Airlines site that tells them the entry requirements. Incidentally, proof of overland travel to Canada or Mexico is not acceptable in this case according to the link although it does mention something about travel to adjoining blah blah blah. Having a visa is the pre-approval that the airline is looking for to guarantee you will be allowed entry in the case of a one-way ticket.

I understand the desire to be flexible depending how long you want to stay but you should be careful how you do it. My advice is to buy the cheapest, changeable ticket to your final destination. You might have to show US immigration proof of onward travel which to them may not just mean a plane ticket. If I were looking for proof from someone who said they were going to Canada I would want to see their hotel reservation information as well unless they were a Canadian citizen. We are talking about the US here, most people will breeze through but they can be sticklers for detail even with their own citizens. Some of them assume that everyone wants to live in the land of the free so it is up to you to prove you are leaving. The last thing you want is to get tripped up with a ticket you had no intention of using. In my over 50 encounters with US immigration I have learned that you never know exactly what will happen so be prepared. I have breezed through in seconds and I have been taken aside and questioned extensively, all depends on the mood of the agent, my plans and answers, and the alignment of the moon and stars.

There is no requirement for return tickets - the most that would be required is onward tickets to next destination. But it appears even that is not required if pax can show financial means to obtain.

It looks like you don't know whether you are coming or going, or even who you are anymore....get a grip man! But seriously, in the actual case of the op this is the fine print. If you show up without a visa you must meet certain conditions, one of which is;

is holding onward/return tickets (or electronic ticket

record or return passages) with a final destination to a

country other than Canada, Mexico or contiguous (adjacent)

countries/islands situated in or bordering the Caribbean

Sea, TIRULES/R36 unless passenger holds proof of

residence in or is transiting to such country/island, in

which case onward/return tickets to that country accepted.

Ticket validity is considered 1 year, regardless of fare

type;

- is a non-immigrant;

- waives any right to protest any action for deportation.

Total period of stay in the U.S.A. may not exceed 90 days.

No additional time is given (extension) based on the

departure to contiguous (adjacent) territory. Passenger is

admitted for up to a 90-day period and a specific date of

departure is given on the Form I-94W (05/08).

Deportation on the delivering carrier will follow if the

Immigration officer determines that the passenger is

inadmissible.

Passenger can make side trips to Canada, Mexico or Caribbean

countries/islands, provided first entering the U.S.A. on a

carrier participating in the V.W.P. and provided all other

conditions of the V.W.P. are met.

There is a big difference between having met the requirements on paper and satisfying the agent that greets you. The goal is to get into the country, not to prove how much you know about the rules and loopholes. My experience is that the words "if the Immigration officer determines that the passenger is inadmissible" are the most important ones in the quote.