Non-B Visa For Consultant Being Sent To Client In Bkk

I am in the process of talks about working with a consulting company based in Singapore but with no business structure in Thailand. They merely have clients here and they would like to have me in Bangkok to work with their client. If I am employed by a Singaporean company but only working in Thailand temporarily on projects, how can I acquire a Non-B so that I don't have to play around with visa runs the whole time? Contract may be for a year. Paid from Singapore, working with Thai client on-site.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Loganberry

I'm in much the same situation, and I'd like to know what kind of visa/work permit I need to do this:

A Hong Kong company has contracted with a Thai firm to do some work for them.

They have separately contracted me to oversee the work here in Thailand.

I won't be paid during my time in Thailand, but will receive a lump sum after the contract is completed, and then royalties thereafter.

So...what kind of visa do I need, and what kind of paperwork do I need to show?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Seems to me the Singapore company could write a letter stating the circumstances including the Thai client, maybe including a separate section for the Thai client to sign stating that the letter is true. Notarized signatures wouldn't hurt. I would think this would do it. I mean a B 1year visa is not that hard to get. Or you can contact a company on Wireless Road across the street from the US embassy called TSL, better to go there. I'm sure they can do it for you or just give you some advice. Either way they're top notch professionals. Virginia or David Lam would answer all your questions. TSL Associate Co., Ltd. Bangkok, Thailand - Tourist, Travel Visas, Legal Services, Translations, English Language Training TOEFL

You will need a Thai company to support your work permit.

Correct and in both cases above the Thai company (client) needs to supply the documentation to support the application for the non-imm B as well as apply for your WP, The Singapore/Hong Kong companies cannot do anything for you...has to be a Thai entity

Where and when you get paid is completely irrelevant and has no bearing on determining whether you need a WP or not...You do need a WP, whether paid or upaid

Yes , you need the WP otherwise you have to take the risk of being caught working illegally. To get the WP you need a local salary and to pay tax on that. At the end of the day it is not that difficulty to get with the right approach. Having had to scurry out the back door in the past due to a surprise inspection i can tell you the risk exists. If you are here on a tourist visa and working it is your welfare at risk.

Having said all that , there are people that can help to get WP's legally and take the stress away. Do some homework including on Thai visa.

Also keep in mind that in addition to (and separate from) the visa issue is the income tax issue. If you are planning on living in Thailand for a year and deriving income from employment or providing consulting services here, you will almost certainly be liable for Thai income tax regardless of where you are actually paid. The rules for tax residency in any country tend to be complex, but in the case of Thailand the significant test is >=180 days in-country in a given tax year. If you are present in Thailand for 180 days or more, all Thai source income (and that includes salary/compensation from employment or consulting) is subject to Thai income tax.

To be compliant with tax, labour and immigration rules, you will need a Non-Immigrant visa (preferably "B" but "O" may be acceptable in some circumstances), a work permit and tax deducted at source from your salary.