Corruption Getting Worse: PM Abhisit

webfact

Corruption getting worse : PM

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai politics is getting worse with extensive corruption the main factor in hampering the development of the country and democracy, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva told a Bangkok seminar yesterday.

"Throughout my 18 years in Thai politics, politicians are increasingly getting involved in benefiting their own interests rather than working for the country or serving any political ideology," he said.

"This tendency is continuing. Many times I asked senior politicians about their views on Thai politics - whether it is getting worse or better. They unanimously give me the same answer: 'Thai politics is getting worse'," he added.

"Corruption is also used by coup-makers as an excuse everytime for a coup d'tat," he added. "It is the main reason why the development of the country and democracy has been hampered."

Citing an example, he said the Customs Department topped the corruption-ranking in Thailand, and this had prompted him to consider aborting a long-standing ransom system awarded to customs agents based on the value of contraband goods they seized.

"The objective of this ransom system aimed at encouraging their active roles has only led to more extensive corruption," he said, without explaining.

The other form of corruption widely rampant is in the purchase of government-issued materials through auctions, both in the old-fashioned process and through electronic versions.

He said independent anti-graft agencies such as the National Anti-corruption Commisison could be an ideal mechanism to battle corruption like those set up in South Korea and Hong Kong.

However, the selection of NACC members could still be influenced by politicians, who could use their status as "elected people" to exploit their popularity and counterweigh their corrupt conduct and violations of law.

Speaking at a forum organised by government-funded courses on suppression of corruption, Abhisit said although corruption drained a small amount of money from willing bribe-givers, it could have devastating effects on the general public and further develop into a national crisis. "The people will be left angry and frustrated by the abuse of power by state officials, but have no choice but to comply with tea money from systematic bribe-demanding," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-17

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only suprise there is that tha admission comes from the PM. Could this be a prelude to some sort of action or are his hands tied just like everyone else. A cynic might say that he's fine with the system as it is and is only faking the hand-wringing as a PR exercise. I'd prefer to think that that is not the case.

Corruption is a natural outgrowth of a lack of accountability. Abhisit, as the proxy for the current government, is doing everything to eliminate his opposition. His "reconciliation plan" is nothing more than a chance for his cronies to capitalize on the financial benefits of being politicians in Thailand.

Corruption is a natural outgrowth of a lack of accountability. Abhisit, as the proxy for the current government, is doing everything to eliminate his opposition. His "reconciliation plan" is nothing more than a chance for his cronies to capitalize on the financial benefits of being politicians in Thailand.

You should try reading up on Abhisit's history, from the BBC no less.

Lets face it , the only reason they are there, MOST of them, are to feather there own nest, they couldn't give a tiddley tit about the country, all Thai poly's should come up through the party's branches , not front up to a newspaper and declare, I am now running, they should be nominated by the people from the party branches,and answer to the people of Thailand, thats Democrocy, also freedom of speech on all matters, is another form of Democrocy, untill Thailand gets that, Democrocy, it's just a word.

As a long time Thailand resident it is not surprising we have continual discussions on corruption at many levels, whether it comes from politicians, the police, or even the military. The number of extremely wealth individuals in all of these three sectors of society is startling. There is graft, extortion, protectionism, favortism at many levels and we see it daily, I understand why the rural poor and the lower middle class get so upset and are so concerned, they feel they are not getting their fair share. I have been married to a Thai citizen for a number of years, we have 4 children, one studies in the US and 3 study here, my 14 y/o told me the other week that he wanted to join the Military and make it a career. When asked why he proudly stated that he can work his way up and become rich. I offered him a suggestion that he join the military to help his country and protect the citizens of Thailand, this should be the motivation and not to 'get rich'. He went on to say that if you are in the military long enough everyone knows you have money and he wanted to have that too. I will council more on this topic later as he grows up, but needless to say I was rather surprised to hear such a statement from my son. How is is possible that high ranking officers are perceived or are actually wealthy when the Thai military salary is so low? (retorical question, I can guess the answer :) )

Corruption must be tacked at many levels and needs to be part of the educational fabric that we bring our children up here in Thailand, they need to learn, it may be actually too late for those in politics today to change but with education and persistance I'm hopeful that the future will be less corrupt. If Mr Abhisit can work on better education, better quality of education and more consistent training then the future will be brighter for so many of Thailands citizens.

Cheers.

C

As a long time Thailand resident it is not surprising we have continual discussions on corruption at many levels, whether it comes from politicians, the police, or even the military. The number of extremely wealth individuals in all of these three sectors of society is startling. There is graft, extortion, protectionism, favortism at many levels and we see it daily, I understand why the rural poor and the lower middle class get so upset and are so concerned, they feel they are not getting their fair share. I have been married to a Thai citizen for a number of years, we have 4 children, one studies in the US and 3 study here, my 14 y/o told me the other week that he wanted to join the Military and make it a career. When asked why he proudly stated that he can work his way up and become rich. I offered him a suggestion that he join the military to help his country and protect the citizens of Thailand, this should be the motivation and not to 'get rich'. He went on to say that if you are in the military long enough everyone knows you have money and he wanted to have that too. I will council more on this topic later as he grows up, but needless to say I was rather surprised to hear such a statement from my son. How is is possible that high ranking officers are perceived or are actually wealthy when the Thai military salary is so low? (retorical question, I can guess the answer :) )

Corruption must be tacked at many levels and needs to be part of the educational fabric that we bring our children up here in Thailand, they need to learn, it may be actually too late for those in politics today to change but with education and persistance I'm hopeful that the future will be less corrupt. If Mr Abhisit can work on better education, better quality of education and more consistent training then the future will be brighter for so many of Thailands citizens.

Cheers.

C

C. The whole of the country is set up for the upper class, through and through, no ground will be given , just keep the Bar!!!!ds down.

BBC News - Profile: Abhisit Vejjajiva

The Democratic Party failed to win power at national elections, but in December 2008 the Constitutional Court found the ruling party, led by allies of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, guilty of electoral fraud and banned it.

Amid the turmoil of the airport blockade caused by anti-Thaksin protesters, a few Thaksin loyalists changed sides.

This enabled Mr Abhisit to form a new government and become the next prime minister without calling elections.

Among the chinks in the Abhisit armour are his failure, so far, to win the popular vote and the impression that his good looks tend to outshine his sometimes rather bland political pronouncements.

In March 2010, he was spirited away to a barracks when red-shirted opposition protesters marched on Bangkok for days of mass rallies, denouncing him as an illegitimate leader.

The prime minister may find that only the popular mandate of a national election win will ultimately silence his critics.

the profile has a few other funny details like:

When Mr Thaksin called a snap election in February 2006, Mr Abhisit's campaign pitch was that he was "prepared to become a prime minister who adheres to the principle of good governance and ethics, not authoritarianism".

that is indeed true, in 2006 the PAD protests, the demands that Thaksin has to go 'ork bai' ork bai'. Thaksin said he cannot let the mob make the decicions here, but has to accept and respect the public's decision, the electorate is in that position, he dissolved the house and called for a snap election. First Abhisit said he is ready to become the new PM. But what Abhisit said yesterday can become void overnight. So after someone explain to him that he will probably not win the snap election he decided to boycott and avoided the snap-election. As general rule, what Abhisit said in the past has the value of zero in the present or future.

And there are also the tiny details that comes through the BBC somewhat misleading:

Going beyond the current transparency rules for Thai MPs, he said he would require all future Democrat Party representatives to declare their assets and any involvement in private companies. Currently, those measures apply only to cabinet members.

Sounds good, but does it meet reality? One name immediately comes to my mind Deputy prime minister Suthep. Unconstitutional shareholdings were the reason that he had to resign from his MP seat, though he insisted he would remain a cabinet minister.

Cheers.

C

Thank you for your post. The BLOODSUCKERS do not want the Thai people educated. The BLOODSUCKERS do not love Thailand. Thailand does not know what democracy is, nor does Thailand understand consequences. There will be little if any change in most of our lifetimes. Pity b/c the beautiful, Spiritual, hard working Thai people DESERVE better.

Ah so the BBC is invoked when it serves your point of view, and trashed when it doesn't.

BBC News - Profile: Abhisit Vejjajiva

The Democratic Party failed to win power at national elections, but in December 2008 the Constitutional Court found the ruling party, led by allies of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, guilty of electoral fraud and banned it.

Amid the turmoil of the airport blockade caused by anti-Thaksin protesters, a few Thaksin loyalists changed sides.

This enabled Mr Abhisit to form a new government and become the next prime minister without calling elections.

Among the chinks in the Abhisit armour are his failure, so far, to win the popular vote and the impression that his good looks tend to outshine his sometimes rather bland political pronouncements.

In March 2010, he was spirited away to a barracks when red-shirted opposition protesters marched on Bangkok for days of mass rallies, denouncing him as an illegitimate leader.

The prime minister may find that only the popular mandate of a national election win will ultimately silence his critics.

the profile has a few other funny details like:

When Mr Thaksin called a snap election in February 2006, Mr Abhisit's campaign pitch was that he was "prepared to become a prime minister who adheres to the principle of good governance and ethics, not authoritarianism".

that is indeed true, in 2006 the PAD protests, the demands that Thaksin has to go 'ork bai' ork bai'. Thaksin said he cannot let the mob make the decicions here, but has to accept and respect the public's decision, the electorate is in that position, he dissolved the house and called for a snap election. First Abhisit said he is ready to become the new PM. But what Abhisit said yesterday can become void overnight. So after someone explain to him that he will probably not win the snap election he decided to boycott and avoided the snap-election. As general rule, what Abhisit said in the past has the value of zero in the present or future.

And there are also the tiny details that comes through the BBC somewhat misleading:

Going beyond the current transparency rules for Thai MPs, he said he would require all future Democrat Party representatives to declare their assets and any involvement in private companies. Currently, those measures apply only to cabinet members.

Sounds good, but does it meet reality? One name immediately comes to my mind Deputy prime minister Suthep. Unconstitutional shareholdings were the reason that he had to resign from his MP seat, though he insisted he would remain a cabinet minister.

No matter what you say, Mark & PAD is good. Thaksin & UDD is evil.

Ah so the BBC is invoked when it serves your point of view, and trashed when it doesn't.

It is very sad to see so much cynicism here. I believe that Khun A has been fighting corruption for years - its a bit like trying to climb an ice wall without crampons. He is an honourable man, schooled in western politics with a vision that runs counter to the 'Thai way'.

It does little good to highlight the persistant and growing grip corruption holds on Thai society without also offering his governments policies on how to stall and roll back that corruption. I think Abhisit probably has policies and laws and restructuring he'd like to enact for that very purpose but he sometimes seems a bit inept politically with his timing and delivery. Highlighting the problem and offering the solution should go hand in hand.

• Like 1

Money is power in Thailand, not politicial positions. The political position by itself has no power. Hence, these politicians join politics to line their own pockets, building up millions and millions of funds to give them the power and control over others. Stamping out corruption in Thailand is impossible. The politicians tasked with upholding the law are the worst of the worst. There is no bonafide system of checks and balances to keep these politicians in check such as there is in the UK and the USA. The politicians know with the amount of money they have accumulated, they can buy their way out of any legal problems or threaten others if their case is not swept under the rug. It is downright igorance to think that a government MP that makes 100,000 a month can accumulate 300,000,000+ as a politician and not get caught. This is because now he has enough power NO ONE will dare to mess with him.

Other posters are correct. These politicians do not give one shit about Thailand or Thai people. They send all their kids off abroad to go to school and get educated. No need to improve the Thai education system when the people in charge of education are having their kids educated in the UK and USA.

The thing that really pissed me about Thai corruption it that it is so blatantly obvious and the people behind the corruption give a reason that is too stupid for anyone with any common sense to even believe, yet these corrupt politicians, military, police actually think the whole country is that stupid to believe it

The Army's latest airship is one that just totally amazes me. An blimp that was priced 40 times higher than it should be. Not designed for combat. Not able to fly in wind above 25 knots or rain. Limited to 3,000 altitude. The blimp company could not get US DOD clearance to sell the security cameras that the blimp was suppose to use for surveillance in the south. So in essence in excess of 650,000,000 was spent by one Chief of the Army, even though previously a committee voted it down for all the reasons I have listed. The army ends up with 2 blimps that can absolutely no function what so ever now with no cameras, the Army Chief is retiring in September and there is 600,000,000 in corruption money lost someonewhere. How the whole country can be afraid of one man is beyond me. In any other country in the world this guy would be in jail, Army Chief or not.

The Army Chief's new plans is to have helicopters equipped with cameras fly along the blimp that will be up in the doing absolutely nothing because it has no surveillance equipment and can perform no function benefitting the Army. Are Thai people that stupid to believe this?

We see Thaicom shares bought and sold in one day from average trading of 82,000,000 to 1,350,000,000. Hundred of millions of baht was made by politicians in this insider trading scam. Yet the Finance Minister who is suppose to control all of this is one of the people implicated.

YOU CANNOT HAVE A FOX GUARDING THE HENHOUSE

That is exactly what is wrong and why Thailand corruption will never be solved.

It is funny Thaksin got convicted and no one else?

There must be a mechanism some where to get convictions if they really want to solve the problem.

Cheers.

C

Thank you for your post. The BLOODSUCKERS do not want the Thai people educated. The BLOODSUCKERS do not love Thailand. Thailand does not know what democracy is, nor does Thailand understand consequences. There will be little if any change in most of our lifetimes. Pity b/c the beautiful, Spiritual, hard working Thai people DESERVE better.

Given half a chance those "beautiful, Spiritual, hard working" Thai people would fill their own pockets - it is a national sport from low class to high class from the copper on the street to the village headman to politicians and will not change in the near future - live with it or move ... but there is another problem, look at the UK MP's, just as money grabbing and dishonest ..... it's human nature and called opportunism and there are very, very few individuals who not give in to it.... most of those who don't are so rich already they don't need to anyway unless their name is Thaksin

POWER CORRUPTS - TOTAL POWER CORRUPTS TOTALLY

Edited by BKjohn

Sounds to me like a veiled but specific reference to a police force that did nothing while paid miscreants set up camp blocking Bangkok thoroughfares and easily trafficked armaments, and to military personnel that supplied the arms.

The RTPF is a disgrace, and needs to be rattled from its core to the newest recruit -- fat chance this ever happening.

Corruption is just as much part of the culture as som tam, and it's a no-no to criticize other cultures, right?

:)

A Big Fish must fall and make waves to scare the other Fish back into line. Until then nothing will change.

Agree. That is why the white people catch Khun Nelson to scare the black people.

Although he done no wrong.

The only suprise there is that tha admission comes from the PM. Could this be a prelude to some sort of action or are his hands tied just like everyone else. A cynic might say that he's fine with the system as it is and is only faking the hand-wringing as a PR exercise. I'd prefer to think that that is not the case.

The corruption was very obvious during the Red Shirt Demonstration. No one would /could do anything because the amount of money was being hand out. Finally it become more expensive to continue than to pay for the corrupt leaders that is why finally government had to act and remove the demonstrators.

I am very gratified to see this brave statement from the PM. Thailand is perceived as a modern nation, but one of the main obstacles standing in the way of being a truly modern nation is corruption. A country must have a clean government, police force, and military in order to progress. Corruption also curtails foreign investment because after doing a cost analysis, they cannot be sure that they have truly anticipated all of the hidden costs of doing business, or even that the enterprise can function at all if obstructions are erected by corrupt officials.

And when have I "trashed" the BBC? :)

But now you've made the insinuation, it should be noted that even a media outlet arguably heavily slanted towards the plight of the red shirts during the recent turmoil even states that Abhisit has a reputation for clean politics.

The corruption was very obvious during the Red Shirt Demonstration. No one would /could do anything because the amount of money was being hand out. Finally it become more expensive to continue than to pay for the corrupt leaders that is why finally government had to act and remove the demonstrators.

This Post is worth the price of admission. Corruption only showed up during the red shirt demo? The corruption was very obvious during the 1/2 year occupation of Goverment by the yellow criminals, TOO. No one would /could do anything because the amount of money was being handed out.

I am very gratified to see this brave statement from the PM. Thailand is perceived as a modern nation, but one of the main obstacles standing in the way of being a truly modern nation is corruption. A country must have a clean government, police force, and military in order to progress. Corruption also curtails foreign investment because after doing a cost analysis, they cannot be sure that they have truly anticipated all of the hidden costs of doing business, or even that the enterprise can function at all if obstructions are erected by corrupt officials.

With the exception of the 7 words starting the 2nd sentence, everything else you said was accurate. [unless you meant it is percveived that way by the Thai Elite because they have all those childish boy scout type badges on their puffed up chests!] [hanging onto regalia or what?]