English Out Of World Cup In Phuket

webfact

English out of World Cup in Phuket

phuket-NOISY-NEIGHBOR-The-1-VjEiLZB.jpg

NOISY NEIGHBOR: The owners of the Seagull Bar will now have to pay the price for ignoring warnings to keep the noise down.

PHUKET: -- Authorities in Patong are reportedly cracking down on bars illegally showing World Cup football matches with English-language commentary.

A source has told the Gazette that officials last night raided a restaurant that allegedly violated international copyright law by airing broadcasts telecast on the Malaysian-based Astro SuperSport satellite TV network.

Astro Supersport is included in packages offered by many local cable television operators, which offer about 60 channels for a monthly rate of 350 baht a month, less for long-term subscriptions. It is currently the only television option among bar owners in Phuket seeking to provide English-language commentary of World Cup matches to patrons.

A representative of one of the cable operators, Phuket Cable TV, said the company pays for the right to transmit the signal to its subscribers under a one-year, renewable contract.

Last night’s raid was at a restaurant on Soi Kebsup in Patong, where officials also levied fines for playing copyright music to patrons without the necessary license, according to the source.

There is still some confusion regarding who was behind the raid, however.

Kathu Police today confirmed that there had been a raid, but said it was conducted by the office of the Kathu District Chief.

However Kathu District Chief Siriphat Phathakul denied his office was cracking down on intellectual property violators.

His men did raid the operators of the Seagull Bar on Soi Veerakit off Nanai Road on Wednesday for staying open past the mandatory midnight closing time on eateries, but only after the owners ignored numerous warnings about noise.

Led by chief administrative assistant for security Jirawat Namat, the arrests were not related to copyright infringement, he said.

Nevertheless, many bar owners in Patong are now worried that airing games on the Astro Supersport network could get them in trouble.

The issue of English-language commentary on football matches in Thailand has become a hot topic among the resident expatriate community and visiting tourists, some of whom have traveled to Thailand specifically to enjoy the World Cup.

Andrew Scott, a 30-year-old football-loving Phuket expat, said commentary in a language he can understand helped him get more engrossed in the action.

“Thai commentary doesn’t do that because you’ve got no idea what’s going on,” he said. “You just end up standing in front of the screen and speaking with your friends – and missing parts of the game.”

Thai entertainment giant RS paid Fifa for the exclusive rights to broadcast World Cup matches in Thailand. Its terrestrial TV partners in Thailand are providing broadcasts with Thai commentary.

RS sold the rights to HD broadcasts of the games to TrueVisions, the country’s only legal satellite provider.

Many bar owners snapped up the HD package, thinking they’d be getting English language commentary – but they didn’t.

One bar owner in Chalong told the Gazette that TrueVisions did not tell him the commentary would be in Thai. “If I knew this, I wouldn’t have spent the money,” he said.

So why didn’t TrueVisions buy English commentary in the first place?

TrueVisions sales officer Patchara Srisai told the Gazette that her company would have bought the rights – but RS didn’t have them. And RS didn’t have them because Fifa wouldn’t sell, she said.

Chulathai Saligupta, senior manager for sports programming at TrueVisions, said, “This is not the fault of RS International Broadcasting, but is due to restrictions by the original provider of the World Cup, Fifa, which is not allowing English commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy problem among neighboring countries.”

The owner of another popular bar, this one in Phuket Town, said he had changed his cable TV supplier and would be showing the games with English commentary – “until it gets banned,” he added.

Do you know of any venues that have been raided due to copyright violations lately? Help the Gazette by posting in the forum below or sending an email to: editor [at] phuketgazette.net

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-06-17

Last night’s raid was at a restaurant on Soi Kebsup in Patong, where officials also levied fines for playing copyright music to patrons without the necessary license, according to the source.

I know the bar in the picture. It's on Nanai 9. So why are they taking about Soi Kebsup. Something wrong with this report ...

This is a very poorly written story. It takes a thorough reading to figure out the issues here.

RS has been issued an exclusive right to broadcast the World Cup in Thailand, yet the club owner is a paid subscriber to Astro Supersport which also has paid for the right to broadcast.

So it is supposed to be up to the consumer to know that the service he pays for is not supposed to be shown across the national border?

This is really over the top. RS can provide to their customers and Astro can provide to theirs. Both are paying customers. The point is no third-party pirate stations.

I get the world cup in english and two channels in chinese. The chinese is ok with me as I more or less don't listen to it anyway, especially with the irritating swarm of bees sound.

Last night raids in Phangnga, Khao Lak and Takuapa:

Sunbird (Khao Lak) was raided though they had the official license (5000 Baht) from RS Media and did not show English language commentary (normal True Vision package). But the raid was about Beer advertisement from Chang (one of the official sponsors -Thai Beverage-). Chang gave out advertisement banners to attract customers to the different venues. Apparently it was not OK to do so. The same happened to one Restaurant/Bar in Takuapa.

What a scene: A place with 20 tables was raided by 15 police men in uniform and some non disclosed officials with video cameras and spotlights. Scared Tourists and Thai locals away and had the owner sign some documents. Thanks for a nice world cup experience to (boost)bust tourism economy. TIT

Just know: The owner had to pay a fine of 50.000 Thai Baht; Chang-Thai Beverage- is taking the case to court.

Edited by Duangta

Just sounds like another jumped up shakedown..

As tho there isnt enough problems for business right now.. And they need to squeeze the remaining businesses like this during low seasons just because 'wold cup' is a good enough excuse to turn on the thumbscrews..

Just tells you all you need to know about the idea of starting a business in this country.

This doesn't make much sense, in one sentence it says:

A representative of one of the cable operators, Phuket Cable TV, said the company pays for the right to transmit the signal to its subscribers under a one-year, renewable contract.
And in another is says:
A source has told the Gazette thatofficials last night raided a restaurant that allegedly violated internationalcopyright law by airing broadcasts telecast on the Malaysian-based AstroSuperSport satellite TV network.
So, the cable companies contract is illegal? I pay for cable and UBC, so it's illegal for me to watch Astrosports on the cable I pay for? And just who is RS? Yet another article that leaves more questions than it gives answers...

This doesn't make much sense, in one sentence it says:

And in another is says:
A source has told the Gazette thatofficials last night raided a restaurant that allegedly violated internationalcopyright law by airing broadcasts telecast on the Malaysian-based AstroSuperSport satellite TV network.
So, the cable companies contract is illegal? I pay for cable and UBC, so it's illegal for me to watch Astrosports on the cable I pay for? And just who is RS? Yet another article that leaves more questions than it gives answers...

I believe this RS raid stuff is for public broadcasting, not for private residences.

I believe this RS raid stuff is for public broadcasting, not for private residences.

But still who is RS? Why can a bar have UBC and not cable? Still doesn't make sense...

It's up to True to enforce their own commercial licensing agreements. And from what we have seen over the years regarding this type of thing, it's no surprise RS is taking it into their own hands.

It's up to True to enforce their own commercial licensing agreements. And from what we have seen over the years regarding this type of thing, it's no surprise RS is taking it into their own hands.

So, if you owned a bar and you get UBC installed, you sign a contract. When you get cable installed you also sign a contract. They know where the installation is. Isn't here a commercial licensing agreement with the provider? Not the 'public royalty police?" I can understand with music, but does the fee the bar pays for the "rights" to play someone's music go back to the recording company or the artist? Or into the pocket of the collection agency? Just another scam it seems...

So, if you owned a bar and you get UBC installed, you sign a contract. When you get cable installed you also sign a contract. They know where the installation is. Isn't here a commercial licensing agreement with the provider? Not the 'public royalty police?" I can understand with music, but does the fee the bar pays for the "rights" to play someone's music go back to the recording company or the artist? Or into the pocket of the collection agency? Just another scam it seems...

yep. very selective too in its application.