Suzuki Jelato

GarryP

A poster mentioned that this model was worth looking at (Richard-BKK or something like that). Well I saw one last night and I must say, I personally think it looks much better than both Fino and Scoopy. I didn't ride it though (didn't want to get arrested for theft). Does anyone have any experience with the latest model and, if so, what do you think of it?

yepp, I v tryed it

More power and much better than Fino and better than Scoopy.

I d say its the second best small/medium scoot in LOS, being technical identical I prefere the looks of Skydrive. But no sccot is better than the dealer, and some of the Suzuki dealers have a long way to go

It was a new model last year, and I think the same this. Being fuel injected AND 125cc puts ahead of its competition, particularly as Suzuki is not regarded as highly by consumers in Thailand as Honda and Yamaha Mio/Fino; we may get more 15cc or Fi for about the same.

The twin headlights do seem odd to some (an Avatar, perhaps, and not Marty), but then twin beams might be more visible to oncoming traffic. I "test" drove it, but not enough to find it more than zippy. One reviewer found it a bit wobbly at 110 (bike's speed indicator) and said it could go but 120 - not bad if roughly correct. I've a friend in Chiang Mai who got a 'Zuki Shogun 125 a few years ago and he is extremely happy - including the seller and shop service.

I can just imagine my son going to Uni' on that Miss Teen Jelato. He would never live it down. I was, in fact still am, contemplating buying an Elegance. GD's suggestion on another thread to buy second hand and then buy extras with the savings did not go down well with my wife. She wants my son to have a new bike - second hand will not wash. Also, my son is quite boring and intends to maintain whatever I buy on spec. He has no intention of adding any modifications.

Also, as I intend to use the bike as well and we are both 1.8 m tall, although very different physiques, before I make a final decision about the Elegance I wanted to see if there was anything else worth considering. The Jelato that I saw last night, while a whole different kettle of fish, really looked nice. More chunky and stronger looking than the Fino and Scoopy. Not sure how it would be for someone with long legs though. I just may have to find a Suzuki Dealer. Their website seems to be infected with a virus so have been unable to check where they are but hopefully there will be one in Prakanong district.

By the way, I could not give a twopenny dam_n about resale price, so being a Suzuki is not off putting on this point. I alsolike the look of the Tiger but would be concerned about servicing.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Garry,

I have test ridden the Jelato, actually it was a little bit more than a test ride, probably 300km all up. I have since ridden the Suzuki Skydrive.

I am not attracted to either of these bikes, especially the Jelato. :D

The Skydrive, to me was the nicer bike of the two. They have identical sized motors 125cc & are fuel injected. Both are relatively new models and a bonus to either of them is you don't see as many around, whereas fino's and to some extent scoopy are like aholes.

When I rode the Jelato I hadnt ridden a fino for some time and to me I couldnt pick the difference in the power output and I mentioned this on the thread when talking with Richard in an old topic. Since that time I re-rode fino and then jumped on a Skydrive and IMHO the Skydrive had a slight edge over the fino, power wise. On paper, I believe its a few HP but I cant remember what they were exactly. So I am guessing from that, the jelato would be the same.

I'm not a fan of auto bikes and at the time I tested Jelato I was riding through steep mountain ranges & wasnt impressed with the uphill, I am sure fino and scoopy would of been equally unimpressive. Having said that, I rode the asss out of it on the downhill and found it to be fun to ride, the suspension handled my weight (90kg) well and later I had another 50kg on its back with a passenger and it was still good. It was a completely stock bike and some of the roads we rode along were a bit average and it handled the bumps quite well. It was comfortable, even two up & the passenger reported it being comfortable too.

I test rode the Skydrive in the traffic in Bangkok and it was zippy in the traffic and because of that I didnt get to fang it through the same twisting bends that I did on the Jelato I cant really comment any futher. Brakes were excellent on the Skydrive. .

I wouldnt consider fino because its not fuel injected & IMHO other than that they are all so very similar, it virtually comes down to personal taste.

I will give Suzuki thumbs up for Service, I've dealt with HQ a couple of times and they were always very responsive. I've got a three year old Suzuki here & had 3 warranty claims on it in that time. The last of the warranty claims came just a week before the warranty expired with 28xxxkm on the bike (3 year/30,000km warranty) and they didnt even batter an eyelid. Those warranty claims were fairly minor, firstly a choke cable and the other two were the same thing 21,000km apart (dodgy timing chain pretensioner design on the Suzuki Raider 150) .

What amazes me with all these bikes is they are like $1500USD and it amazes me you can produce these things for that sort of money, I mean seriously, how can you go wrong? :)

Sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but I have the idea that when somebody is looking at a model as the Yamaha Fino, Honda Scoopy-i or in this case the Suzuki Jelato 125 the person is not looking for a scooter with high speed performance – the whole retro style design is basically deathly of speeds higher than +/-100km/h.

We once equipped a Yamaha Fino with a near 200cc bore-up and needed bigger carburettor, but higher than 110km/h (real km/h) the whole scooter became so unstable that it became live-threatening, even when we balanced the wheels for speeds for over 150km/h we saw no improvement in the maximum speed so you could assume that the actually speed you get out of the retro look (aerodynamically the Yamaha Fino, Honda Scoopy-i or Suzuki Jelato 125 is not that different).

But why would you love a bigger and more powerful engine if it is not about speed? The answer is how good you can ride it, does it take 5 minutes to get to a good speed or does it's a twist of the throttle... For me the whole retro look scooter looks is useless, I'm more a Honda PCX, Suzuki Skydrive guy if I needed to get onto a scooter.

P.S. I was told by Suzuki Thailand that the Suzuki Skydrive 125 and Suzuki Jelato 125 share the same engine...

Edited by Richard-BKK

^Yeah they share the same engine, slightly different drive ratio from memory but I don't think there would be much in it.

You are the one that told me that Skydrive & Jelato had more HP than fino/scoopy/click etc. If the OP weighs a bit (hes taller than most thais, then the power of the engine may come into play, then its personal taste and styling. I've only ever owned a few Suzuki's and they havent always been my first choice BUT I've always had good experiences with the ones I have owned.

It also helps if you can find a good dealer close to where you are living, that makes all the difference IMO.

Did you say "jelato" ? What flavour is that ? :)

Who thinks up names here in Thailand.

Mate has a "kaze', short for "kamikaze" no doubt. And then there's another one called "Smash".

Very appropriate.

Edited by sibeymai

Did you say "jelato" ? What flavour is that ? :)

Who thinks up names here in Thailand.

Mate has a "kaze', short for "kamikaze" no doubt. And then there's another one called "Smash".

Very appropriate.

The first Honda Jazz/Fit was named "Fitta". Means p-ssy in Swedish:P. Replaced name before or just after launch

Someone elsewhere mentioned that gelato is an Italian ice cream - maybe that's the source of the name, since Suzuki sells worldwide.

OP's leaning toward the Elegance suggests that a bit more power and greater seating size, while retaining automatic, might be advantages, if one is willing to surrender fuel injection (as with present models). There is no alternative of which I know, although -

Honda's PCX is a more expensive choice yet, but wider and does not park or maneuver in traffic as easily as the rest, even Elegance (owners contest this, as do huge Harley riders and everyone else attached to bigger bikes such as Ninjas and Kwackers; (they're all crackers). Pity re-sale is not a factor. Reports say that Thai women have extreme views of this model, very + or - . It is a pleasure to ride, but who knows what a youngster's friends would make of it in U?

For size alone and NOT speed or power, Suzuki's 2009 Hayate might still be around as new, and the Yamaha MX still seems to be listed as being available - neither is Fi.

Thanks for all your input. We are not massive in size, both being 180cm tall and about 78-80kgs, but our primary concern is about comfort. We will not be screaming around and power is not really our main concern. It just so happens that the larger engined bikes also tend to be of a size more suited to people taller than the average Thai. I had a quick look at some bikes yesterday with my son and he is not taken with the Jelato. He is favoring the Elegance just because it would appear more comfortable. Oh, also we favor automatics as it will be used for city riding.

Thanks for all your input. We are not massive in size, both being 180cm tall and about 78-80kgs, but our primary concern is about comfort. We will not be screaming around and power is not really our main concern. It just so happens that the larger engined bikes also tend to be of a size more suited to people taller than the average Thai. I had a quick look at some bikes yesterday with my son and he is not taken with the Jelato. He is favoring the Elegance just because it would appear more comfortable. Oh, also we favor automatics as it will be used for city riding.

Elegances longer wheelbase makes it more comfy, and the rear dual shocks is more suited for 80 kg rider with passanger.

Skydrive and Jelato has better legroom than most of its size, and better legroom than the larger Airblade

Elegances longer wheelbase makes it more comfy, and the rear dual shocks is more suited for 80 kg rider with passanger.

Skydrive and Jelato has better legroom than most of its size, and better legroom than the larger Airblade

Interesting claim. So bikes with single shock are best with loads under 80kg? Can you tell me where you get this information from or why the mark was picked at 80.

It seems just virtually every bike with a single shock in Thailand carries more than 80kg without problem (2 thais 100kg).

Interesting claim. So bikes with single shock are best with loads under 80kg? Can you tell me where you get this information from or why the mark was picked at 80.

It seems just virtually every bike with a single shock in Thailand carries more than 80kg without problem (2 thais 100kg).

Neverdie I never said max load 80 kg, I meant to say 80 kg rider pluss passanger. 80 kg cause thats OPs weight.

3 bikes with dual shocks are Airblade, Elegance and PCX. They all have load limit 160 kg according to manufactorer.

The single shock smaller bikes all have lower load limit, different bikes different limits. Its not only the shocks, its also tyres load limit and tiny brakes. Most of these smaller singleshock bikes work fine with 3 x 50 kg, but how safe is it? Personally I find my 100kg enough for the smaller single shock bikes, more than 50-60 kmh is not safe with passanger. And neither Click, Scoopie or Fino is able to go up the mountains with passanger. Only Suzuki.

And just to have it said, single shock works fine in Ninja 650R loaded with 200 kg.

^Okay, you've ansered my questions. I am yet to find a weight limit in the book for my little scooter. Suzuki seems to have missed supplying that information. I thought you were calling 80kg weight limit, BUT THAT IS NOT SO.

I couldnt agree more about weights and safety, but generally speaking, if the OP weights 80kg & he's marriied to an average thai, then the two of them weight wise are going to be fine.

I didnt know fino & the like wouldnt go up hills. Ive ridden the jelato up a hill, it wasnt very inspiring :lol:

^Okay, you've ansered my questions. I am yet to find a weight limit in the book for my little scooter. Suzuki seems to have missed supplying that information. I thought you were calling 80kg weight limit, BUT THAT IS NOT SO.

I couldnt agree more about weights and safety, but generally speaking, if the OP weights 80kg & he's marriied to an average thai, then the two of them weight wise are going to be fine.

I didnt know fino & the like wouldnt go up hills. Ive ridden the jelato up a hill, it wasnt very inspiring :lol:

Suzuki isnt very inspiring up the hills, but having at least 20% more power it gets you there:jap: . The other small ones dont.:unsure:

for weight limits, have a look at the tyres even if its just an indication. I d guess Suzuki says 130 kg, if you manage to find it in the book or at the sticker on bike.

Edited by katabeachbum

^Yep, no, nothing.

Of course theres something to be said for having a gearbox and a clutch when the going gets tough. I remember a mate of mine had a honda 70 years ago and you could of ridden the thing up a wall. Technology :lol:

I saw some Syms on Saturday too and a couple of them looked quite interesting, but would be wary of buying one. I have no idea how they fare when compared to the more common Japanese branded bikes.

Someone has suggested that the Tiger G-Max is worth looking at but it seems to be quite a jump in price for just a few more ccs. Also, technologically, I have no idea how it compares with more common auto scoots.

What will definitely be happening is that both my son and I will be travelling together quite a bit, albeit short journeys, so you are looking at a load of 160 kgs on a regular basis.

^160kg :o . Better buy a vigo. Just kidding.

Interesting topic. My CBR600 has a max weight limit mentioned on it, in fact, all my bikes except this one have always had it.

If any particular bike was limited to a weight, just say 150kg, then IMHO it could handle 160kg because no doubt the manufacturer has allowed some leeway but having said that if it were to be a regular thing (or purpose) for the machine I would look for something with a higher rating.

Its important to remember that the bike is only as strong as its weakest link. For example, someone might get a bike with a rating of 180kg, only to later fit a cheap aftermarket suspension system (copy) or perhaps some sub rated tyres and that original rating is then flawed.

^160kg :o . Better buy a vigo. Just kidding.

Interesting topic. My CBR600 has a max weight limit mentioned on it, in fact, all my bikes except this one have always had it.

If any particular bike was limited to a weight, just say 150kg, then IMHO it could handle 160kg because no doubt the manufacturer has allowed some leeway but having said that if it were to be a regular thing (or purpose) for the machine I would look for something with a higher rating.

Its important to remember that the bike is only as strong as its weakest link. For example, someone might get a bike with a rating of 180kg, only to later fit a cheap aftermarket suspension system (copy) or perhaps some sub rated tyres and that original rating is then flawed.

as for missing weight limit in LOS, it goes for LOS cars and trucks to. No info on vehicle.

for tyres load index its at temp 25C. Usually much warmer in LOS reducing load capacity, and/or reduced pressure= reduced load capasaty

For OP, I would not choose a small single shock scoot for 160 kg load, so I guess its Elegance or PCX. Better suspension and wheels, longer wheelbase, larger brakes, larger seat, more power.

For comfort you should look for a bigger bike!

Airblade is ok and certainly the new PCX (though too expensive imho).

I drove Fino, Jelato and Scoopy. I have a Scoopy now and am satisfied. However I drive mostly alone and for short rides. Don't need something fancy and big for my usage. I think you can't go wrong with all three, but Fino and Scoopy should have a much higher resell value!