Parents Shot In Front Of Daughter In Thai South Attacks

webfact

Parents shot in front of daughter in Thai south attacks

PATTANI (AFP) -- A two-year-old girl was injured in a shooting that killed both her parents in the latest bout of violence to hit Thailand's restive south, police said Sunday.

The attack -- which targeted a former ranger driving with his wife and daughter in Pattani's Muang district on Saturday -- came just minutes after a grenade attack on a mosque in Sai Buri that wounded two nine-year-old boys.

Around one person a day has been killed in recent weeks as a bloody anti-government insurgency continues to rage in the Muslim-majority south.

More than 4,100 people -- both Buddhists and Muslims -- have been killed in six years of attacks led by a shadowy mix of Islamist and separatist militants who never publicly state their goals.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-06-20

In India they had to have a partition, it is worth studying, one can read Rushdie's Midnight Children to understand what went on . Millions had to leave their home to go over the new border with Pakistan .There was a full-scale war . And it is not over yet .

Here in France, there are daily clashes about burkas, halal food, places of worship, education," territories" , it never ends now .

I wish I could read a definitive, detailed account of how the Sultanates came to be joined to the Kingdom ; I once read they did it willingly .

Anyway I used to go to Koh Bulon & around, I knew wonderful Thaï people and Chao Le there, but I wouldn't go further than Krabi on no account now and it saddens me lots.

In India they had to have a partition, it is worth studying, one can read Rushdie's Midnight Children to understand what went on . Millions had to leave their home to go over the new border with Pakistan .There was a full-scale war . And it is not over yet .

Here in France, there are daily clashes about burkas, halal food, places of worship, education," territories" , it never ends now .

I wish I could read a definitive, detailed account of how the Sultanates came to be joined to the Kingdom ; I once read they did it willingly .

Anyway I used to go to Koh Bulon & around, I knew wonderful Thaï people and Chao Le there, but I wouldn't go further than Krabi on no account now and it saddens me lots.

The human species would be much better off embracing science instead of religion.

• Like 1

How sad..... how very sad...a two year old with both parents gunned down.

My thai wife of many years hometown is Yala.

We used to travel regularly to Yala for family get togethers etc. We now simply wont go near Yala or any of the environs including Had Yai.

My thai wife sits in front of the TV when "yet another bomb in Yala or the immediate area" becomes news (daily lately)...and cries uncontrollably

My thai wife runs extremely nervous of the situation "down south"...she has a brother in the army patrolling the area....she has a further two brothers that live in Yala and travel further south to Wongsai to the family farm to work.....where on occassions...trees have been felled deliberately across the highway...and the armed muslims have put them both through the third degree and demanded money from them....all this on their way to work...normal thai folk going about there business.

Her sister commutes with two of her children daily in and around Yala on a motorcycle transporting two young ones to kindergarten/primary school.

Only 2 weeks ago....she was only 100 yards past the Mazda dealership in Yala when it was ripped apart by a bomb....then two days later was 50 yards from yet another bomb in of all places the bloody car park of the Yala hospital.

Remember the well loved, well liked police Superintendent in that area...ripped to shreds several months ago......I was personally very saddened by this.

Two weeks ago a grenade was lobbed at a passing army truck in Yala...it missed......but no before shredding and killing an innocent 5 year old girl waiting to be picked up from school her parents...and injuring, some seriously...23 other folk.

A shocking state of affairs......worse than the recent protests in Bangkok when you consider the length of time the "restiveness" has been going on down south....and its ongoing.

I cut out a press release from the Bangkok Post issued by the current Government and I quote word for word......"we simply dont have the time or the resources to commit to resolving the acts of terrorism in southern Thailand we are far to busy with the Red Shirt issues"

and that about says it all doesnt it.....

I trust the current Government will provide or pay for 24/7 care for this two year old until she is as a working adult..... they dam_n well should because they were "too busy"...to address somehow, or commit more resources to the problem)...I know this is a simplistic statement.. but for gods sake and the sake of the everyday ordinary law abiding Mum and Dad Thai folk...including the children (both muslim/buddhist)....this situation must be bought under some control...somehow....it has to start at the top level of Government.....for starters call in the recently appointed head of the Muslims in this area....and spell it out in no uncertain terms.....he is the only person with the power/authority/influence to curtail or stop this shocking stae of affairs....

RIP the parents of this wee lass

• Like 1

thank you for sharing this with us .

As to Muslim head putting off the fire, islamists don't listen to moderate muslims .

Just see what goes on in other countries .

One thing I remember about Koh Bulon, on a tiny island with not even a dispensary let alone a pharmacy, a nice concrete mosque had been built ( near the Chao Le village) , it was absolutely empty but for the appointed imam . Locals ( most of them muslims) had no idea why they had been granted this cumbersome, useless gift ( they didn't need it to quietly do ramadan before). Just who had decided of this mosque, I still wonder .

Horrible, brutal and pointless killings..............just seems to go on and on. I really don't know too much about the problem in a historical context (other than the region was annexed by Thailand many years ago), most worrying for the inhabitants must be the seeming total lack of dialogue / or basis for common ground. Horrible. Hope things improve soon.

@extraterrestrial

""The human species would be much better off embracing science instead of religion""

problems arise of the mix of politics and religion.

a modicum of mix is unavoidable ; but 10%/ 90% spells trouble .( this is a rough estimate).

Lots of the Koran can be seen as a political handbook , not religious preaching.

I am a religious person myself. I see it is possible to have more than one religion in any country, but it seems difficult with islam in lots of places . For instance, you won't see lots of churches in Morocco, that was cited before , or any North African country (where there are a few christians , like Kabyls in Algeria) .

Have a nice Wan A TIT everybody.

The human species would be much better off embracing science instead of religion.

Ahmen to that brother.

Nobody in the south is a terrorist.

They bomb. They kill. They behead.

But never called terrorists.

For the cynics out there, perhaps the Red shirts must take lessons in how to avoid being called terrorists, rather than have sling shots they must take up AK47. Rather than throw M150 bottle petrol bombs they must set off car bombs and motor bike bombs, rather than having a protest they must behead people.

But perhaps the best thing the Reds can do is pretend to be Democrat voters, that seems to make you immune from being labelled a terrorist.

For the cynics out there, perhaps the Red shirts must take lessons in how to avoid being called terrorists, rather than have sling shots they must take up AK47. Rather than throw M150 bottle petrol bombs they must set off car bombs and motor bike bombs, rather than having a protest they must behead people.

But perhaps the best thing the Reds can do is pretend to be Democrat voters, that seems to make you immune from being labelled a terrorist.

Nope. They southern rebels are classed as 'armed and violent insurgents'. Would you prefer that label for your red brethren?

Before you answer this question please remember that armed and violent insurgents can justifiably and legally be killed by the military at almost any time, and with relatively few restrictions.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Nope. They southern rebels are classed as 'armed and violent insurgents'. Would you prefer that label for your red brethren?

Before you answer this question please remember that armed and violent insurgents can justifiably and legally be killed by the military at almost any time, and with relatively few restrictions.

The Army seem to have killed over 80 innocent civilians in Bangkok and got away with it............ seems that wearing a red shirt also allows the military to shoot you with no protection from the government, in fact, its with the governments blessing and support it seems.

Hopefully we will see Abhisit and Suthep and others in the International Criminal Court in 5 or 10 years time, being brought before the judiciary (not a coup appointed Thai one) to account for what they did and defend their actions in a non biased court and system.

The Army seem to have killed over 80 innocent civilians in Bangkok and got away with it............ seems that wearing a red shirt also allows the military to shoot you with no protection from the government, in fact, its with the governments blessing and support it seems.

Hopefully we will see Abhisit and Suthep and others in the International Criminal Court in 5 or 10 years time, being brought before the judiciary (not a coup appointed Thai one) to account for what they did and defend their actions in a non biased court and system.

No. Only a handful of innocent civilians were killed. Those who defied a state of emergency, violated the civil and human rights of the citizens of Bangkok, and used weapons to attack military and police forces were neither innocent nor civilians.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Before you post things like this i think you should better think straight and have the facts right,the statement you make is NOT true from A to Z meaning your post is or a joke or you are brainwashed by your Thai redshirt family-friends.

I do feel bad for every single casuality but to say they where all innocent thats a bridge to far unfortenly some where but most did know exactly what they could face.Anyway this is no redshirt thread so i gone stop it.

NB totaly on topic " if somebody should face the International Criminal Court then its Thaksin for the Tak Bai incident but i geuss you never hear of that before...read about it and take some Thai recent history class

edit.

You do have 1 thing right the fact that this goverment is not really chosen by the people...so excuse me i accused you of get it wrong from A to Z you got A right i should have written from B to Z.

Edited by zigistar

If you are not Thai - or at least don't look Thai - it's still a very nice area to go to and visit.  I was there a few months ago.  The area is completely devoid of tourists.  The cities have a small city feel, and the beaches are pretty nice, etc.  While the Muslim population is a bit more reserved, they are generally very friendly and helpful.  My one selfish complaint would be about the lack of better hotels.