Truffles

cloudhopper

Yup.. had them for lunch.. whole, stir fried with garlic and chilli... and oyster sauce ( At least thats what I could detect coming from the kitchen)

I think its the same mushroom you are talking about, as everyone is cooking them these past few weeks...

I dont think they are a species of truffle though.. but they are round, brown, grow underground... and bloody delicious!

Funny thing is, I was thinking about starting a thread about them, to find out more...

The ones I've had in town have been too leathery, the other 'skin' was just too tough... and they were chopped into slices... much prefer them uncut and fresh!

Edited by whiterussian

truffles are mushrooms

mushrooms are fungi

perhaps you were thinking of chocolate truffles which are confectionary treats

Yes I know about mycology just that truffles are not well know, mushrooms are but they are call mushrooms. I'm sure they must be good anyway.

whats the approx. market price atm?

And where do you find them?

I love truffles (even if these ones are probably not as tasty as the ones from Periguord or from Bourgogne, I am sure it is good enough)

I use to mix them with buttter then spread on good bread or cook with it.

French sniff at cheap truffles from China

The French are accusing the biggest producers, headed by Wu Jianming, of threatening their national delicacy with a cheap, low-quality version.In France they are mixed with the local variety and sold at a hundred times the price paid to the farmers who find them.

Connoisseurs say the Chinese variety is not only cheaper but is much inferior in taste.

"It is scandalous that some dealers get away with mixing French and Chinese," said Michel Queyroi, the president of the growers' association in Perigord, home to France's most famous truffles, known as black diamonds because of their appearance and value.

Mr Wu, speaking at the headquarters of his company, Kunming Rare Truffles, complained that French distrust of his product was snobbery.

I love truffles (even if these ones are probably not as tasty as the ones from Periguord or from Bourgogne, I am sure it is good enough)

They are found just below ground level in the forested areas around here and appear to have a month or so-long season around the start of the rains. Price here at the beginning of the season was up to 200 B/l but now as low as 30B. They do appear to be in fact a member of the truffle family of which there are more than 100 variants (and like everything else in the world are doubtless of inferior quality to anything French!). I like em though...

My dog is a trifulau (truffle hunter) so maybe we can search the forests of the north.:ph34r:

The better quality truffles (Alba - Piedmont, Italy white truffles) are more expensive than caviar and are considered to be the ultimate luxury food. I don't think any brave souls have tried to import them to Chiangmai...yet.

There are many types of truffles, morels and mushrooms grown but none is as perfumed, rich, earthy, heady and exotic as the white truffle.

If you find one, let me know... I've go the wine to match it!

Oh, and by the way, the market price for white truffles - about USD$45 per gram.

They are found just below ground level in the forested areas around here and appear to have a month or so-long season around the start of the rains. Price here at the beginning of the season was up to 200 B/l but now as low as 30B. They do appear to be in fact a member of the truffle family of which there are more than 100 variants (and like everything else in the world are doubtless of inferior quality to anything French!). I like em though...

Thank you but my question was more about the places where they sell truffles ;)

I mean: Warorot? Rimping?

Thanks for the info... curious little things.

I used to collect Boletus (Cep aka Penny Bun) in the UKand in the highlands of Zimbabwe. My personal fave. I think they grow in China, utterly divine...

The best thing was that the average Brit wouldnt touch them... plenty for me... and about $40 a pound from memory (15 years ago!)

(I have collected many single mushrooms weighing a pound!)

slowly fried with garlic and butter on a good slice of brown bread. dam_n I'm hungry!

Edited by whiterussian

anyone have photos of these thai varieties?

Maybe I missed it, but what is the Thai name for truffles (or the mushrooms in question). I gather they are avaliable at Wairoot Market, but I expect my mentioning "truffles" won't get me very far....or, should I say close. Perhaps Rimping... for a premium price?

Edited by Mapguy

CIB n Mapguy, these things are ALL AROUND right now. You have to get yourself out to a dtalaat to find them. For heaven's sakes, dont go to Rimping ! The markets that only meet some days for a few hours are the best, as people who gather them up in the forests have come down with fresh batches. They call these temporary markets 'dtalaat nat' or 'meeting market.' The mushrooms in question are called 'Het Top' as the OP has mentioned. Btw... because of the t ending in the first word, and the t beginning in the 2nd word, it sounds almost like 'Het Hop' when the locals say it. Look for someone squatting on a stool, low to the ground with a basket of black dingy balls the size of olives, but quite round, rather than oblong. They scoop them with a tin cup much the same as you see the steamed peanut vendors using. Of course these will run a fair bit more. Just a few weeks ago they were 250B/ kg. Now they're somewhere under 100B, but I'm not sure how much as I haven't asked in a couple weeks. You should be able to find them in Warorot, or Thanin, but why not hit the Dtalaat Nat that happens in the dirt lot opposite the bridge by Rajavej Hospital/ Holiday Inn every Tues n Thurs afternoon ? Be on the inside of the River (W side)and don't get there till 4 pm for the most shopping fun.

Just discovered a bag of deer droppings in water, soaking in my fridge - aka Hed Top.

Appears that the wife has been soaking the rubbery balls of joy before cooking them... which may explain why the ones I eat in town are rather wooden in comparison.

Will provide photographic evidence of these Thai truffles tomorrow.. if i remember my dongle.

deerdrop.jpg

Edited by whiterussian