Replacing True Adsl Router

saorsa

i have True ADSL, but the router gives me problems regularly when i try to have more than one PC connected to the web. iIt also locks up occasionally. Can I buy any type of wireless ADSL router to replace the one that True provided? If so, what is a decent model to go for? I have used Dlink before and they were ok, but not always stable when using bittorrent a lot.

Cheers

I purchased a 4 port wifi D-Link router/modem to replace the True supplied 1 port wifi one and had no end of troubles trying to get it set up, It would setup and connect ok, then 10 minutes later it would randomly reboot and then no connection... full reset and re setup required, drove me nuts even after I updated the firmware it was still the same, I had the true technician come out several times and couldn't sort it either.

I then went and purchased one they recommended ( I need 4 ethernet ports + WiFi) it is a ZyxZel P660HN, it setup flawlessly in a few minutes and has been online ever since (bout 4 months now).

Edited by Spoonman

I purchased a 4 port wifi D-Link router/modem to replace the True supplied 1 port wifi one and had no end of troubles trying to get it set up, It would setup and connect ok, then 10 minutes later it would randomly reboot and then no connection... full reset and re setup required, drove me nuts even after I updated the firmware it was still the same, I had the true technician come out several times and couldn't sort it either.

I then went and purchased one they recommended ( I need 4 ethernet ports + WiFi) it is a ZyxZel P660HN, it setup flawlessly in a few minutes and has been online ever since (bout 4 months now).

I had EXACTLY the same experience. Tried to use the D-Link wireless router I had but finally ended up buying the True Zytel and everything worked fine. Part of my problem was complete ignorance of all of the setup lingo.

I have been using D-Link routers for years, currently I use two D-Link DSL-2640T routers which work perfectly. D-Link routers are easy to setup, you only need to follow the build-in setup. D-Link routers which are imported by the official D-Link distributors have the correct settings for the Thai providers in the firmware, so you only need to select "True Corp." or "ToT" for the right settings.

Upgrading the firmware of the D-Link routers was never necessary for Thailand, matter of fact it was more likely that somebody would download and install the wrong firmware. With the wrong firmware installed the router will still work, but I was told by a technician that some firmwares make the router transmit at a lower signal-strength and less sensitive to the signal on the cable... Apparently in Singapore the telephone lines have much less interference on the lines than in Thailand. In Thailand the signal strength is relative high compared to countries like Singapore, Japan and others...

For the older D-Link DSL640T D-link had a firmware upgrade which made the router compatible with ADSL2/2+, but when will ADSL2 be available in Thailand? Can be years... look at the problems around 3G mobile network, other countries already do tests with the next mobile network...

I just junk my D-link for the this Belkin modem router last week

Why i choose this modem ?

1. you can bring it to any IT City shop whole of Thailand for servicing if any problems

2. It's lifetime warranty

3. One of the most value for money in that connection range (my own opinion) Damage is Baht 1650

It's easy to set up and offers you a set up wizard, just click and choose your ISP. Hope this helps.

Edited by ShopBoy

I just junk my d-link for the this Belkin modem router last week

Why i choose this modem ?

1. you can bring it to any IT City shop whole of Thailand for servicing if any problems

2. It's lifetime warranty

3. One of the most value for money in that connection range (my own opinion) Damage is Baht 1650

It's easy to set up and offers you a set up wizard. Hope this helps.

Ever bring anything to IT City for servicing? I did, printer comes back 2-weeks, became 5-weeks, a notebook 2-weeks and now 4-weeks and still waiting. D-Link products, if from one of the two official importers are replaced directly in case of network card or something simple, not so long ago I had a problem with a D-link DGS-1005D (a 5-port Gigabit Switch) and it was replaced in two days...

get any cisco/linksys modem/router/wifi they work perfect.

I was very impressed with the technical help I got from linksys. I have also used several Netgear routers and no problems, very easy to set up, far easier than Dlink

I've been using LinkSys, SMC, ZyXel and Level 1. As routers, they all well with True. As wireless equipment, I wasn't impressed with Zyxel. I don't know about their current stuff as I stopped recommending Zyxel to friends after running into signal problems at multiple locations. At home, I use a SMC wireless/wired router with True. Cheap and both, wired and wireless, connections work well. Two machines on the wired, notebooks on the wireless. Recommended SMC to a few friends and they seem very happy with their units. They were also used with multiple machines. I have no complaint about LinkSys and Level 1. These brands appear to be able to handle multiple connections well.

Best regards,

Roy

Ok, seems like everyone has different experiences. I will head to Pantip and take a look around when I get back from offshore and see what they have on offer. Thanks for the info everyone

I've been running a Linksys ADSL router, with a separate Belkin Wireless Access point for a while.

Generally, no issues. (although the Belkin does very occasionally need a reboot to get it to accept new connections - and I am running low-speed torrents in the background over the wifi.)

I've been running a Linksys ADSL router, with a separate Belkin Wireless Access point for a while.

Generally, no issues. (although the Belkin does very occasionally need a reboot to get it to accept new connections - and I am running low-speed torrents in the background over the wifi.)

what the experts are saying is that basically any adsl router can be used, but setup issues vary.

the true router is genunine <deleted>, i have a d-link that has not been rebooted in a month, my wireless can be used in my neighbors living room and it took all of about 15 mins to setup. my biggest problem was not the router, but windows vista. my iphone and win 7 machines got up and running in under 5 mins. i am also running a wireless n connection without problems.

any brand name will be an improvement over billion or zyxel.

what the experts are saying is that basically any adsl router can be used, but setup issues vary.

the true router is genunine <deleted>, i have a d-link that has not been rebooted in a month, my wireless can be used in my neighbors living room and it took all of about 15 mins to setup. my biggest problem was not the router, but windows vista. my iphone and win 7 machines got up and running in under 5 mins. i am also running a wireless n connection without problems.

any brand name will be an improvement over billion or zyxel.

Talking about ZyXel, before I stopped using their products, their QC seemed to go down the drain. Out of 15 wireless cards I bought, 2 were faulty.

Best regards,

Roy