Help! Need Advice On Tourist Visa

Me and eight of my friends are travelling to Thailand from London this Saturday, and we haven't booked a tourist visa. We are away for 42 days, but are planning on visiting Laos for a period, probably a week. We only managed to get through to the local Thai consulate today who said that seeing as we shall be in the country for more than 30 days, and don't have a visa, we are likely to be refused entry at Bangkok airport. She also said that it is too late to get a visa here at home before we go. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a Thai travel visa upon entry at Bangkok airport?

If this is not possible, we need to have proof that we are leaving Thailand within our original 30 days, but from my understanding, the way everyone gets to Laos from Thailand is a small bus service from Udon Thani, which doesn't sound like you would be able to book online, which we would need to do to give us the proof of exit we need. Apart from flying out of the country to Laos, is there any way of booking transport into the country online? Preferably, We'd like to travel from Chiang Mai, but I'm aware that the route most people take is the 12 hour bus from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani, and the across the border. Also, is it then possible to get a tourist visa for Thailand while we are in Laos at a Thai embassy?

Thanks everyone for any help in advance, getting a bit nervous here!

You do indeed need a tourist visa. But the problem will be with the airline. They are required to check if you have a visa if you stay longer than 30 days. Some check strict, some do not check. Immigration in Thailand hardly ever check. To aviod this problem you can book a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of your arrival. A cheap one-way ticket will do.

Applying at Hull per express mail will normally take 3 days, so that is still an option. Not sure which consulate you contacted, but Bristol is another one you could contact. A tourist visa can normally be issued the same day you apply.

You do indeed need a tourist visa. But the problem will be with the airline. They are required to check if you have a visa if you stay longer than 30 days. Some check strict, some do not check. Immigration in Thailand hardly ever check. To aviod this problem you can book a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of your arrival. A cheap one-way ticket will do.

Applying at Hull per express mail will normally take 3 days, so that is still an option. Not sure which consulate you contacted, but Bristol is another one you could contact. A tourist visa can normally be issued the same day you apply.

We live in Ireland, but are flying from London, and there's only a consulate here, not an embassy. The other problem for me anyway, is that I had to get a new passport for going away, and can't collect it until Friday, so I'm stuck anyway. Thanks for the advice though

Don't worry. You'll get 30 days at the airport on arrival. Just go to Laos before day 30, stay there for a while then return to Thailand. I seriously doubt you would be refused entry. Do not show your flight ticket unless asked (and they pretty much never ask). You'll be fine. Enjoy your holiday.

I have been able to get visas at the Birmingham Thai Consulate on the day. No waiting. (It used to be at New Street Station.)

They are very friendly and helpful - nomally less than 30 minutes per visa.

A friend of mine even managed to get a Thai visa there for his Chinese girlfriend.

Don't worry. You'll get 30 days at the airport on arrival.

Yes. Providing they are allowed on the flight. There is a chance that they will not be.

Strange but I have never been stopped from boarding but if the airline does ask questions, tell them that upon arrival you will be given a 30 day stamp, FREE, and you will be existing to Laos by road.

Some airlines don't check and some do. If they check, they will deny boarding and not be satisfied with the visa exempt entry and going to Laos story. They will want to see proof in the form of an airline ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival and tell you to buy such a ticket or be denied boarding. It does happen often enough.

Some airlines don't check and some do. If they check, they will deny boarding and not be satisfied with the visa exempt entry and going to Laos story. They will want to see proof in the form of an airline ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival and tell you to buy such a ticket or be denied boarding. It does happen often enough.

If, they get "silly", then showing the staff that you have sufficient funds for an onward flight that will appease them.

But remember, these guys have return tickets, so no problem for the airline, as their flights costs out of Thailand will be covered.

/ 23JUN10 / 0638 UTC

National United Kingdom (Great Britain) (GB)

Destination Thailand (TH)

Thailand (TH)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months upon arrival.

Visa required, except for A touristic stay of max. 30 days:

- for holders of British passports endorsed British

Citizen ;

- for holders of British passports endorsed British National

- All passports must be in good condition.

- Those travelling to Thailand with a visa issued prior to

arrival, are permitted to travel on a one-way ticket.

- Immigration officers can request visitors who are visa

exempt to show return/onward tickets and documents required

for next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age must hold sufficient funds to

cover their stay (at least THB 20,000.- or USD 640.- per

person/family). For details, click here

- Applicable to those who do not need a visa:

For details, click here

Warning:

- Non-compliance with visa requirements will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of the passenger; and

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000.-; and