Single Entry/Multiple Entry 'O' Visa

Can someone please clear my confusion. I am coming to the end of a multi entry o visa that I will shortly be taking a trip to the UK to renew.

If i opt for a single entry does this mean I can stay in the country without the dreaded border runs?

Thanks in advance.

Gareth

No. A single entry would only allow one stay of 90 days.

How do you qualify for a non immigrant O visa? If marriage/retirement etc there might be one year extensions of stay available from Immigration if you meet the conditions.

No, a single entry means that you can enter with the visa only 1 time. When you enter, you get a permission to stay for 90 days.

Note that if you have a multiple entry visa, if you leave the country and re-enter just before the visa expires you get another 90 days. So you can get almost 15 months out of it.

Mario, I'm a bit confused (although not concerned). Wouldn't a Non-O for one year allow to stay one year and the 90 days rule just apply to the reporting every 90 dyas (provided you didn't leave the country in the meantime, which automatically renews the 90 days)? I was just wondering about this point.

Non immigrant visas allow a maximum stay of 90 days. Extensions of stay from Immigration are not visas and can allow stay of up to one year.

One year validity of a visa (multi entry) only means you can come/go within that period of time and receive a new 90 day stay on each entry - you can not stay longer than 90 days without an extension of stay.

Perhaps if you look at them as a multi entry visa valid for one year rather than a one year visa (which it is not) it will be clearer.

Non immigrant visas allow a maximum stay of 90 days. Extensions of stay from Immigration are not visas and can allow stay of up to one year.

One year validity of a visa (multi entry) only means you can come/go within that period of time and receive a new 90 day stay on each entry - you can not stay longer than 90 days without an extension of stay.

Perhaps if you look at them as a multi entry visa valid for one year rather than a one year visa (which it is not) it will be clearer.

Yes, that makes it a bit clearer, Thank you.