Cheerful Charlies F&C Is For Sale!

ginnyten

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you've missed the point, this is all about a bit of free advertising for Charlie ( quite why sassienie is shown as owner on the thaivisa classified site ( already posted above) is a mystery but it keeps the thread going.

Bit like the free water thread really, that was a classic, and with the same clique involved.

Nothing wrong with Charlie's chips; but try Piggy's and Praties ( on Rimping).They give him a good run for his money

What's wrong with free advertising? How does it affect you?

There was no Clique involved with the Free Water thread. It kept going because it was humorous and because the tight-<deleted> of Chiang Mai were outraged at the idea of paying for water in a pub. Look at it again. 

Is Praties  the other Fish & Chip shop that is advertised on TV as 'For Sale'? If so, then the choice of  'giving him a run for his money' is a bit ironic, don't you think? Or maybe you put that in there so as to high-light that your favourite (Piggy's) is the only F&C shop that isn't for sale. I SAY POINT OF ORDER HERE PLEASE

For someone that has a bee in his bonnet about free advertising you do mention Piggy's quite a lot.  Personally, as Trink would say, ' I don't give a hoot'.

With all due respect, please check out the F/C Poll....... there just might be an oversite on your part...... there are several that are open and bitching about business as usual..... I am very close to one of them...

Gonzo

:rolleyes:

Its quite obvious that farly45, sassienie, and BigWheelMan are one and the same which keep the advertising alive.

Funny that.... I always thought Big Wheel man was Charlie.... but it might seem not to be the case!

I ate a Piggy's once, Cod and chips, but all I could taste was the dirty old oil it was cooked in, not pleasant.

I also ate at Charlie's once, with my parents, had a look in the kitchen and the oil was all brand sparkly new,

but as I ate pie and mash, couldn't comment on the fish and chips.

Best English chips in Chiang Mai (in my opinion) are the Big Chips at the Olde Bell . . . with curry sauce and

bread and butter, makes a wonderful sandwich.. yum :)

David

With all due respect, please check out the F/C Poll....... there just might be an oversite on your part......   there are several that are open and bitching about business as usual.....   I am very close to one of them...

Gonzo

The Fish and Chip poll was of no consequence, unless you wanted to use it for advertising purposes, or something daft like that. The fact that it ended up as a slanging match between the Piggy's and Charlie's camps is to be applauded. Good, clean fun.  Almost pantomime, in fact.  

This is all just 'entertainment', isn't it? 

Its quite obvious that farly45, sassienie, and BigWheelMan are one and the same which keep the advertising alive.

Funny that.... I always thought Big Wheel man was Charlie.... but it might seem not to be the case!

David

Bigwheel Man is A Charlie, but not The Charlie. :D

I ate a Piggy's once, Cod and chips, but all I could taste was the dirty old oil it was cooked in, not pleasant.

I also ate at Charlie's once, with my parents, had a look in the kitchen and the oil was all brand sparkly new,

Best English chips in Chiang Mai (in my opinion) are the Big Chips at the Olde Bell . . . with curry sauce and

David

with the Chili bell (F&C at nim city), piggies, charlies and the olde bell all up for sale I'm looking for investors to help me buy all 4 of these establishments, corner the market, monopolize and dominate this volatile commodity. I have no experience but like fish and chips at least once or twice a year. Who's in?

David

with the Chili bell (F&C at nim city), piggies, charlies and the olde bell all up for sale I'm looking for investors to help me buy all 4 of these establishments, corner the market, monopolize and dominate this volatile commodity. I have no experience but like fish and chips at least once or twice a year. Who's in?

Not I. The odds stink on making a profit.:o

With all due respect, please check out the F/C Poll....... there just might be an oversite on your part...... there are several that are open and bitching about business as usual..... I am very close to one of them...

Gonzo

The Fish and Chip poll was of no consequence, unless you wanted to use it for advertising purposes, or something daft like that. The fact that it ended up as a slanging match between the Piggy's and Charlie's camps is to be applauded. Good, clean fun. Almost pantomime, in fact.

This is all just 'entertainment', isn't it?

hope no one revives it, it was cod awful

In the 70's, Nelson Bunker Hunt and his brother William Herbert* tried to corner the world market for silver but eventually came unstuck. I don't fancy your chances of making a fortune in Chiang Mai, since Fish and Chips is only a vital commodity to the English.

I have a plan to corner the market in Rubber Bands, in Thailand. My theory is that the country would fall to it's knees very quickly without this vital commodity and I would be able to name my own price. Just wait and see, and don't go sneaking off and start stock-piling.

If that doesn't work, I'm buying Futures in Fish heads and Pork-bellies.

* getting through school with names like that would certainly toughen a kid up.

Edited by twofortheroad

Just a point of suggestion.

When one is a newbie, it would be considered by most prudent, to be a little more polite when posting. Generally the poster will have a longer forum life. Express your opinions but do so in a more mannerly, thoughtful, and polite fashion.

I offer this solely as a suggestion to all newbies. Unless you might be what may be called a TV christian....... i e. "Born Again"

g

and can we see some more pictures of the new layout of Charlies??? Best of luck with the new place Charlie.

Why dont you pop along to see for yourself!

In case you've missed the point, this is all about a bit of free advertising for Charlie ( quite why sassienie is shown as owner on the thaivisa classified site ( already posted above) is a mystery but it keeps the thread going.

Bit like the free water thread really, that was a classic, and with the same clique involved.

Nothing wrong with Charlie's chips; but try Piggy's and Praties ( on Rimping).They give him a good run for his money

There was no Clique involved with the Free Water thread. It kept going because it was humorous and because the tight-<deleted> of Chiang Mai were outraged at the idea of paying for water in a pub. Look at it again. 

Is Praties  the other Fish & Chip shop that is advertised on TV as 'For Sale'? If so, then the choice of  'giving him a run for his money' is a bit ironic, don't you think? Or maybe you put that in there so as to high-light that your favourite (Piggy's) is the only F&C shop that isn't for sale.

For someone that has a bee in his bonnet about free advertising you do mention Piggy's quite a lot.  Personally, as Trink would say, ' I don't give a hoot'.

Not the brightest guy in the box are you?

The free water thread and the subsequent vote on f and c restaurants was manipulated by a known clique. If you don't know that then that's your problem. One poster was ultimately kicked out by the mods.

I agree it was a humourous thread but its purpose was subliminal advertising, a fact the op picked up on. I have no problem with advertising so long as it is fair. The free water thread and this one - which is also getting humourous in a pedestrian sort of way - is that it is biased to one establishment and knocking pthers. As I said there is room for more than one chippie and for fair competition.

I don't think Pratties is for sale - that's news to me. What is your source for that? Piggy's was for sale as I understand it. You're getting more than a little confused, aren't you?

I have not mentioned Piggy's a lot. Look at the posts. I have said Charlies is good but for a certain type of clientele. Piggys and Pratties are different and cater for different people. I have never had bad meals at any of the three, but would not personally put Charlies as the best. Also I have never been short-changed or had errors on the bill with Piggys or Pratties.

The free water thread and the subsequent vote on f and c restaurants was manipulated by a known clique. If you don't know that then that's your problem. One poster was ultimately kicked out by the mods.

I agree it was a humourous thread but its purpose was subliminal advertising, a fact the op picked up on. I have no problem with advertising so long as it is fair. The free water thread and this one - which is also getting humourous in a pedestrian sort of way - is that it is biased to one establishment and knocking pthers. As I said there is room for more than one chippie and for fair competition.

I don't think Pratties is for sale - that's news to me. What is your source for that? Piggy's was for sale as I understand it. You're getting more than a little confused, aren't you?

I have not mentioned Piggy's a lot. Look at the posts. I have said Charlies is good but for a certain type of clientele. Piggys and Pratties are different and cater for different people. I have never had bad meals at any of the three, but would not personally put Charlies as the best. Also I have never been short-changed or had errors on the bill with Piggys or Pratties.

Not the brightest guy in the box? What does that mean? Did you make it up yourself? What would guys be doing in boxes? :blink:

How or why was the Free Water post manipulated? It wasn't a poll. What would be the point?

If the F&C poll was manipulated, who cares? I don't. It's irrelevant. Did it bother the other places (and there were many) that were in the poll, or just you?

Subliminal advertising? Was he flashing messages into his posts or playing ads below human hearing? How would you have detected it? Do you have special hearing or visual powers that we humans don't?

Subliminal stimuli (pronounced /sʌbˈlɪmɨnəl/, literally "below threshold"), contrary to supraliminal stimuli or "above threshold", are any sensory stimuli below an individual's absolute threshold for conscious perception. Visual stimuli may be quickly flashed before an individual may process them, or flashed and then masked, thereby interrupting the processing. Audio stimuli may be played below audible volumes, similarly masked by other stimuli, or recorded backwards in a process called backmasking. Introduced in 1897, the concept became controversial as "subliminal messages" in 1957 when marketing practitioners claimed its potential use in persuasion. Subsequent scientific research, however, has been unable to replicate most of these marketing claims beyond a mere placebo effect.

I didn't say that Praties was for sale, I said "Is Praties the other Fish & Chip shop that is advertised on TV as 'For Sale'?". That answers two of your questions in one. I was told about it, but I never checked the ad because I couldn't find it. I have now - It appears that it is Chilli Bell that is for sale but if Piggy's was for sale as you said then my argument still holds true - he's hardly giving him a run for his money, is he? Why would he be trying to sell up if he was doing so well? The only F&C I've had in Chiang Mai were at Piggy's and they were fine. Not great but good enough. I'm not that interested enough to care about whose are the best.

By the way, which certain types of people does Charlies cater for and which different people do Piggys and Pratties cater for? I wouldn't like to go to the wrong one if I do fancy some F&C one night.

Have you been short-changed and had errors on your bill at Charlie's? Your last sentence implies that. If you are accusing someone of misdeeds (I did say 'if'), it would be bolder to be forthright than merely implying it. Besides, it might put me off going there.

Finally, just a little tip. If you think a post is inappropriate for any reason (free advertising, off topic), press the little 'Report' button and let the Moderators decide. That's how it works around here.

Edited by twofortheroad

Is Praties the other Fish & Chip shop that is advertised on TV as 'For Sale'? If so, then the choice of 'giving him a run for his money' is a bit ironic, don't you think? Or maybe you put that in there so as to high-light that your favourite (Piggy's) is the only F&C shop that isn't for sale.

For someone that has a bee in his bonnet about free advertising you do mention Piggy's quite a lot. Personally, as Trink would say, ' I don't give a hoot'.

Why do you keep pushing other places?

I went to charlies and walked out due to old tw4t on another table telling me "I couldn't sit there as Bob was due and he always sits there". All the other tables were taken. I know it wasn't Charlie that said it but he heard it and never said anything about it but he did shrug his shoulders. Ive been to Piggy's twice and enjoyed the food but Ive not been in a while so no idea if its still has good. Ive been to the chilli belle once and thought it was terrible, thats about it on MY experiences on F&C in Chiang Mai others obviously have other opionions and it would be a very boring world if people always thought the same.

Did any of the other pubs/bars that are for sale think about  opening a Topic here? 3,653 views has got to be good for business. Worth thinking about even if you're not for sale. In difficult times you've got to be creative. Who remembers the constant carpet business closing down sales that used to appear in BKK Post? Some of them must have closed down at least three times a year. :whistling:

PS. Don't forget the old dodge of getting someone else to post it.

I went to charlies and walked out due to old tw4t on another table telling me "I couldn't sit there as Bob was due and he always sits there". All the other tables were taken. I know it wasn't Charlie that said it but he heard it and never said anything about it but he did shrug his shoulders. Ive been to Piggy's twice and enjoyed the food but Ive not been in a while so no idea if its still has good. Ive been to the chilli belle once and thought it was terrible, thats about it on MY experiences on F&C in Chiang Mai others obviously have other opionions and it would be a very boring world if people always thought the same.

To be fair Mr Miller you are probaly too young to frequent Charlies as you have to be over 60 and like talking about the weather and how the roses are doing :D your better off going down Piggys for a bit of Cod and Chips.

To be fair Mr Miller you are probaly too young to frequent Charlies as you have to be over 60 and like talking about the weather and how the roses are doing :D your better off going down Piggys for a bit of Cod and Chips.

Two more vindictive members

alficonn.

re ... your better off going down Piggys for a bit of Cod and Chips.

not tonight you wouldnt .... i went past piggys at about 5 30 tonight ( tuesday the 6th of july 10 )

and it was closed ..... with NO signs of opening

if you want good fish and chips or to try the fishermans pie .... walk 500 yards to the un irish bar on ratwithi .

theres NO Contest ..... dave2

post-42592-003379800 1278434838_thumb.jp

alficonn.

re ... your better off going down Piggys for a bit of Cod and Chips.

not tonight you wouldnt .... i went past piggys at about 5 30 tonight ( tuesday the 6th of july 10 )

and it was closed ..... with NO signs of opening

if you want good fish and chips or to try the fishermans pie .... walk 500 yards to the un irish bar on ratwithi .

theres NO Contest ..... dave2

any idea if theyre showing the rugby this weekend? I couldnt quite see it on the whiteboard B)

might try the F&C there if they are :D

Edited by Donnyboy

you looking for a Mods job? :D

Did any of the other pubs/bars that are for sale think about opening a Topic here? 3,653 views has got to be good for business. Worth thinking about even if you're not for sale. In difficult times you've got to be creative. Who remembers the constant carpet business closing down sales that used to appear in BKK Post? Some of them must have closed down at least three times a year. :whistling:

PS. Don't forget the old dodge of getting someone else to post it.

:lol:

donnyboy.

re ... any idea if theyre showing the rugby this weekend? I couldnt quite see it on the whiteboard

ive no idea coz ive never watched a game of rugby .... football , golf or whatever ? ... for 62 years coz im not interested in ANY of it and never will be

piggys is closed ..... if you like fish ..... try the un irish for GOOD fish

dave2

Why is telling my experience on 3 different F&C shops vindictive? Please tell or maybe your the old tw4t I was talking about.!

Edited by thaimiller

Why is telling my experience on 3 different F&C shops vindictive? Please tell or maybe your the old tw4t I was talking about.!

Thaimiller, read this guys history and posts..... he is just a newbie troll and not even a good on at that.... or maybe even a TV kristian u no bornagain

Mr Miller, as a scouser would say "cam down , cam down" :D :D

Sorry that should have read, talking about the weather, roses and how the viagara is doing :D :D

Thaimiller, read this guys history and posts..... he is just a newbie troll and not even a good on at that.... or maybe even a TV kristian u no bornagain

theres a photo of him in post #87 :whistling: