Mulching Equipment

kanomk2

I would like to utilize all the coco and palm fonds, tree prunings and mulch.

It will have to be quite heavy duty. Does anyone know where to source or even design to DIY fabrication?

Kanomk2,

This is something I am in the market for myself. I have priced a suitable sized hammer mill in Buri Ram for 23,000 baht (including 3HP Japanese electric motor), so at a guess probably around 17,000 for the unit. It is the only machine I have seen here where the screens can be changed relatively easy. I need to have large holes for chopped wet straw amongst other gooey stuff. I also have a net to deal with the normal prunings and garden wastes using a small screen size. I have an old plan for using a rotary mower blade as the cutter, not going to cut it for me, but if you are interested see attached

MulchMaker.pdf

I have seen small machines here and even owned one back in Australia. Wouldnt touch one again.

I have given thought to building a unit as the mechanics are quite simple and the material passage is largely gravity at work. A couple of plumber blocks and a shaft, drill some large holes in the steel strip to make the blades and cut some spacers then bolt it all into a steel box. The screens would be the hardest part.

Another rainy day project in a land where there just never seem to be enough rainy days!

If you find anything else please let me know. Equally I can put you in touch with the store that had the mill. In Buri Ram.

Some time back there was a guy need Pak Chong that made forage harvesters and the like, a few TV members swore by them. If you get his details he may make one for you as it is a simpler principle.

I can certainly vouch for the company that made the forage harvesters. A machine shop in Muak lek, 20 klms west of Pak Chong, on Highway 2, on the way to Saraburi. The guy will make anything if you have plans.

6 years ago the forager was 65K Baht, including a large cage trailer. Very rugged and well built. You might find his number in the pinned section. If not I'll try and drag it out.

Personally I would forgo the hammer mill for anything even remotely damp. Bloody things clog up so easily, even with the large holes. I'd just go with a heavy duty chipper run off a tractor. Maybe even double blades if it's custom. Make sure the blades are better than the mild steel &lt;deleted&gt; some people use. <_<

Regards.

Personally I would forgo the hammer mill for anything even remotely damp. Bloody things clog up so easily, even with the large holes. I'd just go with a heavy duty chipper run off a tractor. Maybe even double blades if it's custom. Make sure the blades are better than the mild steel &lt;deleted&gt; some people use.

TT,

Got my interest, any ideas of where to look and budget? Limited to 28HP tractor.

Isaanaussie

Edited by IsaanAussie

I've also been playing with the idea for a shredder/mulcher.

I want to put it on a 3 point hitch on a 26 hp Kubota.

I was thinking I could make one from a disc brake assembly from a Front wheel drive car.

Bolt or weld 3" planer blades to the disc face.

PTO connected to the driveshaft.

But I think it would need a gearbox as the tractor puts out a max of 1000 rpm at the PTO.

Any thoughts ?

I've also been playing with the idea for a shredder/mulcher.

I want to put it on a 3 point hitch on a 26 hp Kubota.

I was thinking I could make one from a disc brake assembly from a Front wheel drive car.

Bolt or weld 3" planer blades to the disc face.

PTO connected to the driveshaft.

But I think it would need a gearbox as the tractor puts out a max of 1000 rpm at the PTO.

Any thoughts ?

PondLife,

Mine is a 28 Hp Iseki with a 540 PTO. I would be trying to keep the engine revs down to conserve fuel. There are a number of Chinese suppliers who manufacture 3 pt hitch shredder/mulchers. The smaller units are for 25-30Hp tractors. A typical unit shown here:

http://www.farmry.com/china/wood-chipper-shredder-3-point-hitch-series.html

Aussie; I think you may be thinking of converting a roto tiller to a frail mower. If so, the frail mower blades are attached to the rotating shaft via chain (1/4 in??) with a cutter blade attached to the other chain end. The frail cutting blade may have to be over sized to cover the roto tiller blade cut Either widen cutter blade or increase density of attachment holes in rotating shaft to increase frail cutter density to get complete cutting coverage of the roto tiller housing. Both the roto tiller and the frail mower operate at the same rpm and turn the same direction. Another shop project for a rainy day.

• 2 weeks later...

Slapout,

Have done some checking and believe this is probably something like what I will go for. The one shown is fed with broken bails of straw. Others just eat the whole bale.

post-56811-097953200 1278407364_thumb.jp

Cost is about USD 1,000 ex China, would be nice to find one here.

Isaanaussie

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were after. I have used a tub grinder for hay, straw, etc. The were powered by hydraulic, cutter blades on bottom of tub, discharge from side, and would hold a 1000 lb round bale (about 15 min. to grind a large bale). Might be a little overkill for what you want

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were after. I have used a tub grinder for hay, straw, etc. The were powered by hydraulic, cutter blades on bottom of tub, discharge from side, and would hold a 1000 lb round bale (about 15 min. to grind a large bale). Might be a little overkill for what you want

No you werent wrong. I went off using the rotary

Isaanaussie

Slapout,

Have done some checking and believe this is probably something like what I will go for. The one shown is fed with broken bails of straw. Others just eat the whole bale.

Isaanaussie

OK I'm looking for advise here. The machine pictured will cost USD 1100 landed (CIF) here in Thailand. Does anyone have a better and cheaper alternative?

Isaanaussie

Slapout,

Isaanaussie

OK I'm looking for advise here. The machine pictured will cost USD 1100 landed (CIF) here in Thailand. Does anyone have a better and cheaper alternative?

Isaanaussie

Came across this Thai company when looking for some machinery - seems like they have a pretty diverse cross section of equipment and if they don't have it seems like they might well be able to make it ??Thai Sumi

Slapout,

Isaanaussie

Isaanaussie

Came across this Thai company when looking for some machinery - seems like they have a pretty diverse cross section of equipment and if they don't have it seems like they might well be able to make it ??Thai Sumi

Thanks for the tip. Will contact the company.

I/A