Thailand Burns 190 Million Dollars Of Drugs

webfact

Thailand burns 190 million dollars of drugs

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand incinerated 190 million dollars' worth of drugs on Friday as authorities warned that teenagers were particularly vulnerable to the narcotics trade.

Nearly six tonnes of illegal substances were thrown onto the flames to mark the United Nations' anti-drugs campaign, including 20.2 million methamphetamine tablets weighing 2.5 tonnes.

About 214 kilos (471 pounds) of heroin also went up in smoke, along with ecstasy tablets, cocaine, opium and 3.2 tonnes of marijuana.

Last year, 117,886 drug addicts were treated in Thailand and authorities said most of these were aged between 15 and 19.

The public health ministry predicts the figure will remain relatively stable, with 120,000 drug users expected to receive help in the fiscal year to March.

The burning ceremony, which came on the eve of the UN's International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, destroyed drugs seized in 3,211 cases.

Thailand, along with other countries in the region, has seen a marked increase in seizures of methamphetamine -- also known as "ice" -- as the world opiate trade declines, according to a recent UN study.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-06-25

Thailand burns nearly 2.5 tonnes of illicit drugs

AYUTTHAYA (TNA) -- Thailand's Ministry of Public Health Ministry on Friday burned nearly 2.5 tonnes of narcotics worth over Bt6.1 billion (US$186 million) in the central province of Ayutthaya.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit presided over the 38th destruction of confiscated narcotics at the unity and environment management centre in the Bang Pa-In industrial estate here.

Illegal drugs seized in relation to 3,211 criminal cases included 20 million amphetamine pills valued at Bt5.6 billion ($169 million) and 214 kilograms of heroin worth Bt534 million ($16.2 million).

The other illegal drugs, which were destroyed, were 129 kg of opium valued at Bt1.8 million ($54,500), 14 kg of ecstasy worth Bt54 million ($1.64 million), 6.5 kg of cannabis valued at Bt65,000 (about $2,000) and 1.2 kg of cocaine worth Bt3 million ($91,000).

Confiscated drugs also included 166 litres of codeine valued at Bt400,000 (some $12,000) and other drugs including Ephedrine, Ketamine, Nimetazepam weighing 63.75 kg with street value of estimated Bt5.7 million (over $172,000).

In addition, over 3.2 tonnes of cannabis worth Bt32 (about $970,000) seized by the narcotics suppression police also were incinerated.

Currently more than 18 tonnes of drugs confiscated in relation to over 165,000 cases remain in the Food and Drug Administration custody as the cases have yet to be concluded.

The officials concerned applied a high temperature incineration system to destroy the drugs. Oxidation took place at temperatures of at least 850 degrees Celsius which completely destroyed the drugs and is an environmentally-friendly technique. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-06-25

The opiate trade has not subsided at all the Taliban have tons of opium they force the Afghanis to grow it for them. Their storehouses are flooded and brown sugar, heroin that they make not refined to the 4th step white, is a huge problem not only in Afghanistan but everywhere. They are the worlds largest producer of opium and now heroin. The heroin that is being smuggled into Thailand is originating from Afghanistan. It is most commonly smoked on tin foil "chasing the dragon". It needs a drop of lemon or lime juice to inject it, it is very crude and maybe 70% pure if that. Years ago Mumbai was full of opium dens where you could buy and eat or smoke opium, now on Sukalaji street, you see groups of men hunched over the tinfoil, stores actually sell specially made straws to suck up the smoke.

The opiate trade has not subsided at all the Taliban have tons of opium they force the Afghanis to grow it for them. Their storehouses are flooded and brown sugar, heroin that they make not refined to the 4th step white, is a huge problem not only in Afghanistan but everywhere. They are the worlds largest producer of opium and now heroin. The heroin that is being smuggled into Thailand is originating from Afghanistan. It is most commonly smoked on tin foil "chasing the dragon". It needs a drop of lemon or lime juice to inject it, it is very crude and maybe 70% pure if that. Years ago Mumbai was full of opium dens where you could buy and eat or smoke opium, now on Sukalaji street, you see groups of men hunched over the tinfoil, stores actually sell specially made straws to suck up the smoke.

Must be exciting on level 1 and good for the foil market

There's a new trend in my home country of mixing weed and some mixture of cat and herion called "Hunga"; it's far'king the kids up terribly; even some adults are losing jobs; homes; families because of it. And these kids will steal your garden hose to sell for some drug money.

Must be exciting on level 1 and good for the foil market

Yes it was hard for me to decide where to spend the rest of my life there or here.

Great post, but SO depressing...so many lives thrown away.

:(

It's my understanding that Opium was almost eradicated during the times that the Taliban held power in Afghanistan.

The US invaded Afghanistan and then Opium production skyrocketed. The opium in Afghanistan now is said to be about 80% - 90% of the worlds heroin supply. The CIA are the ones running the heroin.

We have to watch nonsense propaganda on the news in the US about why the US military "allows" them to farm 90% of the worlds heroin. They say nonsense about how they don't like it but the truth is, this is their culture! and these murderers, and torturers, and all the other horrible things these soldiers do... they would never on earth dream of interfering with another person's culture. Complete nonsense.

There's a new trend in my home country of mixing weed and some mixture of cat and herion called "Hunga"; it's far'king the kids up terribly; even some adults are losing jobs; homes; families because of it. And these kids will steal your garden hose to sell for some drug money.

It seems like almost every time I check to see who wrote what, there is no name, age, picture and so on, are most expats hiding from something?

Or ashamed of what they say, and don't want to be labeled in any way, one would think if your going to express ones opinion one would want to be known for what they say, hey what do I know, I just stand up talk my talk and walk my walk, nothing to hide, come out, come out who ever you are.

Yes the Taliban are the anti-drug brigade. They force the people NOT to grow opium. <div>We have the wrong end of the telescope. Illegality of drugs causes most of the misery in the world. Corruption, disease, wars all in the name of a war on drugs. Well the war is lost no matter how you measure it and now all that's left are warlords and raiders with the own little fiefdoms killing or corrupting whomever they please. When oil, drugs and military hardware are the three largest industries in the world you know there's more to this than meets the eye.</div>

It seems like almost every time I check to see who wrote what, there is no name, age, picture and so on, are most expats hiding from something?

Or ashamed of what they say, and don't want to be labeled in any way, one would think if your going to express ones opinion one would want to be known for what they say, hey what do I know, I just stand up talk my talk and walk my walk, nothing to hide, come out, come out who ever you are.

Well you can see who I am and my photo and I spent ten years in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, the Golden Triangle 35 years ago etc and know about what I speak. Hence the name Colabamumbai. Nothing to hide

It's my understanding that Opium was almost eradicated during the times that the Taliban held power in Afghanistan.

The US invaded Afghanistan and then Opium production skyrocketed. The opium in Afghanistan now is said to be about 80% - 90% of the worlds heroin supply. The CIA are the ones running the heroin.

We have to watch nonsense propaganda on the news in the US about why the US military "allows" them to farm 90% of the worlds heroin. They say nonsense about how they don't like it but the truth is, this is their culture! and these murderers, and torturers, and all the other horrible things these soldiers do... they would never on earth dream of interfering with another person's culture. Complete nonsense.

The 'War on Drugs' is only a war on the CIA's competition. They want a monopoly.