The Old New 2 Stroke

Well I got a 15 year old (not too old)Kawasaki Victor 150 cc... I am the second owner aparantly (in the tabien as well) and he was an older Thai guy that must have taken good care of it because theres like no rst on it at all.

It's great and starts easy and runs good, the only problem is it often starts "coughing" and "siezing" and all power is lost. One time it even widled be down to like 20km/h and couldnt any more speed because the engine felt like it was dieing.

After this I took off the silver part of the exhaust pipe (didn't take off the black part) and clean it with a metal rod I got a pretty big mountain of this black chunky stuff out in pieces. I also tried reving the engine and tapping the pipe and peices would fly out the back..

After this it seemed to have its power back but still at times lost its power due to what I think is more of this stuff clogging up the exhuast.. When driving you can even sometimes see pieces flying out...

So now I am going to get the black part removed and cut in half and have all the black shit burned out, a very common thing all the 2-stroke crazed people with do to get power.

Does anyone have in mind some other cheap and easy procedures in mind for bring back the life in this beautiful 2-stroke that has been driven like a grandma for 15 years?

Well I got this Victor as a temp replacement...

I was very unfortunate, and also maybe a bit careless...

I always trusted this mechanic and he seemed very good, but I think he didn't put enough oil in the engine when he changed it last.... I should have been checking it myself but I was an idiot...

I drove it for liek a month on his oil change, and I always drive it hard, hitting the top of all gears on most days if the highway is clear...

Last week the engined made a noide and staled and I able to start it and drive 10km/h to another mecanic in the area whom I also trust (the one by Srinakarin)..

Empyied the oil and there was probably only 1.8 litres, not 2.8, and it was pure black like mud and had some coper residue in it... Turns out the copper bearings on the conrods attaching the crankshaft on pistons 1 and 4 were cracked and they scratched up the crankshaft too, making my conrods and crankshaft destroyed...

With these parts it's the best just to get a new 2nd hand engine for about 30,000, so Im waiting... Looked at prices of used crankshafts/conrods and the potencial of importing but they end up at ike 20,000 after shiping neway, And new parts ordered from Suzuki would be more than the price of a 2nd hand, low mile egine from japan....

So I'm expecting maybe a month or more wait before I can hop on the gixxer again... It's a shame, the day before it broke, I went on a bike trip to Kachanaburi with my gf and it was running so smooth and powerful as usual, until the next day.... I'm very disappointed as it was such a good bike and nevered staled, had any problems or showed any signed on power loss or struggle while redlining, and I might not be as lucky with another 2nd hand engine....

Anyways... back the Victor. :)

Sounds like the exhaust is coked up.

You will need to remove the whole pipe & have it burned out, ( or use soda crystals with hot water) to clear the pipe.

While you're at it you could check the ports in the barrel, probably choked as well. Being a 2 stroke it's easy to get the head & barrel off, probably 8 bolts if it's a single cylinder.

If it's been standing for a while it may need the carb cleaning too, take the float bowl off & check the pilot & main jets.

If you're not mechanically minded you can get your mechanic to do this, just don't let him replenish the oil !!

Ps, don't forget to use a pre mix unless it has autolube...

Sounds like the exhaust is coked up.

You will need to remove the whole pipe & have it burned out, ( or use soda crystals with hot water) to clear the pipe.

While you're at it you could check the ports in the barrel, probably choked as well. Being a 2 stroke it's easy to get the head & barrel off, probably 8 bolts if it's a single cylinder.

If it's been standing for a while it may need the carb cleaning too, take the float bowl off & check the pilot & main jets.

If you're not mechanically minded you can get your mechanic to do this, just don't let him replenish the oil !!

Ps, don't forget to use a pre mix unless it has autolube...

The KRR has a Kawasaki Suoerlube oil injection system,it holds 1.3 litres of oil and needs to be refilled after about 2 tanks of gas is used.

Sounds like the exhaust pipe and and exhaust port need a decoke.

Try replacing the spark plug too.

It`s a B9ES.I couldn`t find one anywhere,then i decided to try the local go kart track and they had a BR9ES,which is the same with a resistor (hence the R)

Also pulling the barrel off of these is a little more complicated than normal as the KRR has an exhaust power valve (KIPS) that runs off the crank.

As Leckyman says,

Use drain cleaner to clean it out. Take it off the bike stick a potato in the end, pour some drain cleaner crystals in and pour in water as hot as you can get, give it a good shake and leave overnight.

If you wish to repaint the "black bit" find someone with Oxyacetylene torch. Stick the torch in the front until the black carbon gunk glows then just use oxygen and the carbon gunk will burn in a red ring all the way down the pipe.

I suspect the former owner may have used premix and not ridden the bike "with avengeance"

Please verify autolube it is working before relying on it.

Does the RPM rev up as it should? I had a 200cc Yamaha 2 stroke and no shops were able to figure out why the engine just wouldn't wind up (after a rebuild). Finally, guy "Ball" figured out that the YPVS (Yamaha Power Valve System) was messed up. He got that sorted out and it was like new again. You could also check your reed valves, and definitely charge out the carb first thing as they get gunked up here fast, especially went not being ridden much. How does the gas tank look inside, rusty? Check you fuel filters too. The condition of your spark plug should tell you something too. Check how much its smoking to verify that the autolube is working. Hold the pipe on backwards and have somebody rev it up to try blowing more grud out of it. Cutting it open would be last resort, especially with the mechanics around here. That tuned pipe is very important to make that pipe perform.

Does anyone know a mechanic in Phuket with some experience in 2 strokes or more importantly autolube set up?

My Kawasaki KRR 150 needs someone who knows how the superlube synchronisation works to take a look at it.

The Kawasaki dealer here has no idea. :angry:

Well I got the black pipe cut open and all the black shit burned out and also just decided to replace the silver end piece and now its got tons of power and usually goes through the revs very smoothly, except first gear is sometimes a bit shaky in high rpms, but it's like a new bike compared to how it was before.... So now the whole exhaust is like new so rules it out as a performace hinderance unless theres some tiny chips it in or air leaks...

I did check the 2T oil. I've driven probably like 200kms on it already since I got it. When I got the 2t was like 3/4 full, and now its still about 3/4 full... Someone before said that it should be refilled every two tanks... I've driven almost 2 tanks now and the 2T oil elvel hasn't moved much... When I start it up it always blows a bit of smoke out but not much, but if I'm driving you see like no smoke at all coming out.. When I stop at a red light you can see a little puff here and there, but if you rev the engine no smoke comes out....

Maybe the autolube system isn't working to its full potencial.. This must be bad for the engine if it is the case....

Either way, the old owner for sure didn't drive it hard with the condition it was in. It looks beautiful bit he just must have drove liek a grandpa. Either way now I'm quite satisfied and it turns heads.

Well maybe I could take off the carb and check the air filter myself tomorrow. I'm sure it isn't too hard, and I've got all the tools..

So how might I go about cleaning the carb and checking the autolube system? Also what was the barrel thing that was mentioned before? "While you're at it you could check the ports in the barrel"

I will make this list of things to do a prioroity for sure..

Edited by lennya12threh

Update... I did a bunch of searching as far as the mix ratio used in a KRR-like bike for 2t/gas.. I read many forums where guys just take out the autilube tank and pre-mix for better peace of mind, etc..<BR><BR>Also, the common ratio was 20ml/1L.. So for two tanks of gas at maybe 7 litres each that only 280ml of 2T... Much less than what was mentioned here before as far as two tanks of gas and you need to refil the 1.3L 2t tank... So unless the autolube system is pumping in like 100ml per litre of gas then it shouldnt be runing low after two tanks.... A bit much no? My autolube system must be fine, as I am just finishing my 2nd tank and the 1,3L tank of 2T just went down a bit....<BR><BR>I think I might just try and take it out and premix every tank 150ish kms... Better peace of mind and one less thing to go wrong and potencially wreck the engine...<BR><BR>So does 20ml of 2t per litre of benzyne sound fine? Tomorrow I will try mix some in and also top up the 2t tank so I can really check to see how much it will go down and check after going to NakomPathom and back.... I'll just mix a bit myself as well in to get a bit of smoke to be safe while I make sure that the autolube system is pumping oil in....

Hi,

a pre mix ratio of 20/1 sounds about right.

The ports in the barrel are where the fuel mixture comes in from the carb then goes from the crankcase to the area above the piston to be burnt, then it goes out the exhaust port, (this is the one most likely to be coked up)

Worth checking & cleaning.

My 2 stroke smokes like you wouldn't believe, especailly if i gve it some stick...... Love it!!

Update... I did a bunch of searching as far as the mix ratio used in a KRR-like bike for 2t/gas.. I read many forums where guys just take out the autilube tank and pre-mix for better peace of mind, etc..<BR><BR>Also, the common ratio was 20ml/1L.. So for two tanks of gas at maybe 7 litres each that only 280ml of 2T... Much less than what was mentioned here before as far as two tanks of gas and you need to refil the 1.3L 2t tank... So unless the autolube system is pumping in like 100ml per litre of gas then it shouldnt be runing low after two tanks.... A bit much no? My autolube system must be fine, as I am just finishing my 2nd tank and the 1,3L tank of 2T just went down a bit....<BR><BR>I think I might just try and take it out and premix every tank 150ish kms... Better peace of mind and one less thing to go wrong and potencially wreck the engine...<BR><BR>So does 20ml of 2t per litre of benzyne sound fine? Tomorrow I will try mix some in and also top up the 2t tank so I can really check to see how much it will go down and check after going to NakomPathom and back.... I'll just mix a bit myself as well in to get a bit of smoke to be safe while I make sure that the autolube system is pumping oil in....

Lenny,

There is a downloadable manual on-line if you search. On page 61 it tells you how to check the adjustment by lining up the marks.

From memory my 150R used to use one 1l+ tank of autolube for about 1000kms. About 40:1Current bike is about 1l for every 500 but it's twice as big. ;)

How many kms did you get from your 2x 7l of fuel?

As the exhaust was all gummed up I suspect you are getting enough.

Edited by VocalNeal

My KRR has an 11.5 L tank,so usage comparison is not relevant.

It seems as if your autolube is working ok,i`d leave it.

I think you`ll find the oil/gas ratio is 25:1.

My equation at 23L for 2 tanks of fuel = about 1L oil is only rough as the autolube pumps in less at low rpm and more oil at higher rpm,so the way you ride can affect the usage.

To check the pump you need to remove the front sprocket cover and the oil pump plate behind it to check the synchronisation marks as per the manual link quoted above..

Thanks for al the replies.

Well maybe Friday I'll take a day to take it apart a bit and see if even need the manual do do much of this.. I'm sure that it isnt too hard to take off the carb, etc, as long as I'm careful and remember wat goes where...

Well my tank on the Victor is only like 7 litres or something, so two tanks I guessed was around 14L or so.

Well I can go from PhraKanong to Mahidol university just inside nakompathom and back on one tanks and still have a bit left. I like to open it up alot as well.

Today I filled the 2t up to the brim before leaving and also put like 60ml into the tank directly after filling another 3 litres of benzyne just to make sure it would be ok. On the way there the engine got hot very fast, just beside the red side on the indicator.. I was opening it all the way for a long time on some bigger highway like streets that lead to NakomPathom, but also thought it may have been because of the extra oil I put in..

On the way back I filled up again with just 1.5 litres to make sure to make it back, but this time didn't mix any in myself, as I looked at the 2T tank and it had gone down a bit from driving 50km or so to university. Didn't get too hot tis time, just like 3/4 to the red.

Really fun bike tho in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, I love that power band action. Still getting thrils from it even with the 750gsxr on vacation...

Edited by lennya12threh