U.S. Passport Renewal Questions..

I looked around your u.s. embassy site for answers to these questions without any luck....

I'm coming up from Phuket and would also like to renew my passport that expires in 18 months... can I renew it now or do I need to wait till it expires?

Do I get to keep and use my existing passport until the new one is ready?

I'd also like to renew my 6 year old sons passport.... does he need to be with me in person to do this?

Do I need a separate appointment for each task? i.e. renew my passport, evidence of income, renew son's passport?

I understand the passports take two weeks to process.... can I pick up the new passports in a couple months instead?

Thanks for any intel!

I renewed mine last month.

You can renew before the expiry date but the new passport will expire 10 years after the new issue date.

You keep your existing passport until you pick up your new passport.

I believe your son must be present to renew but I'm not 100% sure.

You'll be able to renew both passports at the same time under the same appointment. Make sure you tell them when you make your appointment.

Not sure what you mean about evidence of income.

You can pick up your passport anytime after its ready during their Citizen services office hours.

As Prism said re the renewal. The appointment is made on the computer and just need one reason, can do the several items at same time. The reason is just for their queuing and scheduling, not overly important. The income statement can be done at the same time, that's just a quickie. Make sure you use the cashier right by the side glass window, not the cashiers in the separate room with all the lines.

Thank you for all of you helpful answers... the Embassy also got back to me via e-mail...

They recommended I make separate appointments. The appointments are very easy to make online and they don't charge anything for the appointments.

The evidence of income document I'm referring to is called an "income affidavit" and costs $30.

Both parents and the child must be present to renew a minor's passport.

They said that I could hang onto my old passport until I pick up the new one.

Although the passport is ready after approximately 2 weeks the Embassy will hang onto it for several months until you pick it up.

The form necessary for passport renewal is Ds-82 and can be found here: http://www.state.gov/m/a/dir/forms/

Thanks again for all the helpful answers.

By the way, the State Dept just published the final rule in effect July 13, 2010 raising passport fees again despite 98% of comments opposed. The worst of it is the new $82 charge to add pages which was previously free. I just scheduled my appointment this week to add more pages because I don't want to pay $82 when my passport gets full in a few years.

I just talked with Lora O. Lund, Vice Consul from the US Embassy and she told me if you renew at the US Embassy in Bangkok when it is ready, they will mail it to you if you pay for a self addressed envelope and postage at the Embassy's post office, by Thai Post EMS(registered mail) service. So you don't have to make another trip to pick it up. They are trying to get permission to do the same return by post if you apply at a Consulate outreach, but as of this month they could not. She didn't know when or if the fee increases would take place, but said they need to cover the costs of their service. This was on June 14, 2010,

I made an inquiry by email about renewals and the Embassy's response was:

You may renew your passport at your discretion, if you renew your passport before July 13th you will be charged the old rate. Please note that you will receive a larger passport book, containing 52 pages automatically, and without extra charge. When you renew, if qualified, you will receive a 10 year validity passport, expiring 10 years after the time of issuance. Yes, we do offer a mailing services, please inquire at the time of application.

Regards-

American Citizen Services

The rate increase for renewal is going from $75 to $110. Notary fee from $30 to $50, which is way over the top I think! $50 to stamp a piece of paper I printed out, all they do is sign and stamp it. How could that be worth $30 not alone $50??

I just talked with Lora O. Lund, Vice Consul from the US Embassy and she told me if you renew at the US Embassy in Bangkok when it is ready, they will mail it to you if you pay for a self addressed envelope and postage at the Embassy's post office, by Thai Post EMS(registered mail) service. So you don't have to make another trip to pick it up. They are trying to get permission to do the same return by post if you apply at a Consulate outreach, but as of this month they could not. She didn't know when or if the fee increases would take place, but said they need to cover the costs of their service. This was on June 14, 2010,

IIRC, when I renewed my passport at the US Embassy in Bangkok a few years ago, they offered the pre-paid EMS mail-back service, but only if I surrendered my current passport at time of application.

If you don't use the pre-paid EMS mail back, when you return to the Embassy to pick up the new passport they invalidate your old one by punching holes in it and return it to you. If you don't surrender you passport when requesting the mail back service, you'd possess two valid passports, and that is a definite no no. By surrendering your passport at application time, they will mail back to you the new passport and the previous invalidated one.

I opted to return in person to pick up the new passport, as the idea of wandering the streets of Thailand with no passport for two to three weeks just made me uneasy.

IIRC, when I renewed my passport at the US Embassy in Bangkok a few years ago, they offered the pre-paid EMS mail-back service, but only if I surrendered my current passport at time of application.

If you don't use the pre-paid EMS mail back, when you return to the Embassy to pick up the new passport they invalidate your old one by punching holes in it and return it to you. If you don't surrender you passport when requesting the mail back service, you'd possess two valid passports, and that is a definite no no. By surrendering your passport at application time, they will mail back to you the new passport and the previous invalidated one.

I opted to return in person to pick up the new passport, as the idea of wandering the streets of Thailand with no passport for two to three weeks just made me uneasy.

Interesting point. It is against Thai law not to carry your actual passport, not a copy. I will have to write another email to them about that. How could I even board a airplane to return to my house in Phuket without my passport while awaiting my new passport? I can submit the application when the Consulate outreach comes to Phuket, but then I have to pick it up at the Embassy or send a letter to a friend authorizing them to pick it up and mail it to me. And in that case, how would they invalidate my current passport? Great, worse service for more money!

There is no such requirement that you only have one valid passport. Many people, including me, have had several valid US passports at the same time.

Two valid passports of the same category? The few folks I knew that were able to carry two valid passports (e.g. airline crew member who needed to possess one at all times, even while applying for visas at embassies that required leaving a passport overnight or longer) have, in the past few years, been not able to renew their "second" passport.

"Great, worse service for more money!"

Actually it's the same or better service - at a higher fee. The fact that the new procedure doesn't work for you, doesn't keep you from doing it like you would have before.

For those able to use the mailing, it's a good addition to their service.

As far as the outreach goes, they will hold your PP and let you pick it up at the next outreach there, or at any other outreach site. All you have to do is ask.

A few U.S. passport renewal questions:

I plan to renew my U.S. passport in person at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok.

1.) Do I use form DS-11 (Passport Application) or DS-82 (Passport by Mail)?

2.) Can I renew a passport which has two (2) years left prior to expiration? (I understand any new passport will have 10 years.)

3.) There used to be a separate form to request a new passport with more pages, maybe the standard one has 24 pages, so you could ask for an 48-page passport. Does anyone know if you can request this passport with more pages, and if so, how do you do it? (I see reference in this thread to a default 52-page passport, perhaps as a result of renewing in a foreign country, can anyone confirm this?)

4.) Do I carry both my old and new passports as my current Thai visa is in my current (old) passport?

The answer provided above is wrong. You use the mail passport application DS-82 and all passports are now large size and a visa can never be transferred (only permitted to stay/extensions of stay) so if you have a valid visa you will need to carry both passports for travel until you obtain a new one.

My passport in 3.5 years old, already have extra pages added, but only a few left -- will they add even more if I ask them? (made an appointment to get in under the price-hike deadline)

On the other hand I was considering getting a new pp in KL in a few months, thinking that with all the previous visas Thailand may tell me 'no more' when I apply in the future. Present pp doesn't have "the chip." Is possible the embassy would reject my request, or will they just be all too happy to have the fee come in?

Answers to questions like these are not easy to come by.

My passport in 3.5 years old, already have extra pages added, but only a few left -- will they add even more if I ask them? (made an appointment to get in under the price-hike deadline)

On the other hand I was considering getting a new pp in KL in a few months, thinking that with all the previous visas Thailand may tell me 'no more' when I apply in the future. Present pp doesn't have "the chip." Is possible the embassy would reject my request, or will they just be all too happy to have the fee come in?

Answers to questions like these are not easy to come by.

Re your first point, I just got back from an Embassy run to add a 2nd set of pages, thought I might have a problem since I got the 1st set just four months ago, nope, AmCit gal at the window said no problem. Didn't have to pull out my "justification" sheet, attached, where I figured I could possibly use up to 39 pages before this passport expires in 2016, and I only have 33 pages free now.

post-32650-054134600 1278393616_thumb.jp

Just to follow-up:

I used the DS-82 form.

I made an appointment on July 6, for Friday, July 9 at 9:00 AM.

I arrived at 8:00 AM and was finished by 8:17 AM, a very efficient and friendly service.

I paid $75 USD cash for the renewal.

I was told the default size is 52 pages. This was confirmed by looking at new passports of those picking them up today.

Based on the recent experience of those waiting to pick up their passports, the average time seems to be ~ 10 calendar days for processing event though they tell you 2 - 3 weeks.

They send you an email when your passport arrives so you can pick it up, without an appointment.

... a visa can never be transferred (only permitted to stay/extensions of stay) so if you have a valid visa you will need to carry both passports for travel until you obtain a new one.

I was informed at the Embassy, without any prompting, that I will be given paperwork which along with my two passports (old w/ visa and new) must be taken to Thai Immigration where they will transfer the visa. I will follow-up here on the results of that experience.

Edited by lomatopo

• 3 weeks later...

Following up: I applied for my passport renewal on Friday, July 9, 2010. I received an email on July 19, 2010 notifying me that my passport was ready to be picked up. I picked it up on Tuesday, July 20, 2010. Excellent service, IME. If in the U.S. you might pay the expediting fee and not get your passport in ~ 10 calendar days.

I have a 1 year, multiple-entry non-imm B visa. A family friend who works for immigration asked around at work and then told me that I have to carry both passports until my current visa expires. They said that I'll get stamped out on my old passport and then stamped in on my new passport.

Your old passport is invalid for travel so stamps should only be made in new passport unless they have a new procedure in place. There does seem to be a change from previous policy to require transfer of arrival stamp to new passport at Immigration office but believe it is still done at airport.

• Like 1

Here is additional info about ACS Outreach Program.

If you renew at an Outreach visit, you can ask them to return your passport the next time they visit.

When you find out the date for that, call or e-mail them and reminf them to bring the pp with them

It worked fine for me.

Upcoming Consular Outreach Trips to Phuket and Pattaya

Dear Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Phuket and Pattaya Area American Citizens,

The Consular Section of the American Embassy in Bangkok is pleased to inform you of three upcoming Embassy consular visits to Phuket and Pattaya. Please mark your calendars!

Consular staff will be available to provide consular services at the following dates and locations:

Friday, ********, 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM in the Hilton Arcadia in on Karon Beach in Phuket

Consular services for each of the above trips will be provided from 8:00 AM until 12:00 noon in Phuket and Pattaya.

If you have any questions, please e-mail: [email protected] or call the American Citizen Services Unit at: 02-205-4049.

If you would like to receive e-mail notifications of future Consular Outreach trips, please register with our Internet Based Registration System by creating an account and then clicking “Add Trip” to indicate your presence in Thailand at: https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/.

• Like 1