Gym Junkie Thread

Tornado

definately no spandex...... have to admit that i spend a little time in the gymnasium.......when i come over to los plan training holidays as well......so i could fit into that category i guess, oh did i mention i also work in one as well...... :o

Tornie , I frequent the Gym most days in UK , mainly CV with some toning, my frame is large enough these days. Also some Muay Thai training , I stopped fighting about 10 years back but still use a Boxing gym for conditioning and reflexes.

:o

Tornie ,  I frequent the Gym most days in UK , mainly CV with some toning, my frame is large enough these days. Also some Muay Thai training , I stopped fighting about 10 years back but still use a Boxing gym for conditioning and reflexes.

:D

great!

I also weight train about 6 days a week now and Muay Thai at least 3 times a week. Muay Thai is new to me and although I like the sport, I will never be great at it, as I left it to long to start. I just use the training as conditioning.

I boxed for a few years in the army, I was good at it, but wouldnt call myself a star.

I trained in Aikido for some years as I was growing up (japanese martial art), but havent found anyone In Phuket doing anything in that vein.

The reason I started this thread was to gain info about weight training and or training in general, as I have become addicted to the gym :D

Im just about to turn 40 now and your reflexes start to slow, so I am opting for sheer strength rather than speed :o

The hardest workout I do is lifting my Chang...  :o

cheers.gif

Chang would make a good pet name for your um.... :D

totster :D

nong chai? :D

I have done that elephant trick on rare drunken occasions... you know... empty the pockets inside out and hang out the... well, I'm sure you know the rest! :D The girls love it!!! :D

Sorry to highjack your thread Torny... I'll shut up now!

:D

I have been having trouble with gaiing size in my biceps, if anyone knows any great biceps excercises I would be appreciative.

I currently do, preacher curls, dumbell curls, straight bar curls and seated dumb bell curls - is there anyone who has a good arm workout routine?

Tornie, heres a few including the ones you do already.

:o

Preacher Curl Preacher Curl:

Starting Position

Lean over a preacher bench, position your body so that your chest is against the bench and your arms extend over it. Grasp a barbell with an underhand grip and keep the elbows relaxed. You may do this exercise sitting or standing.

Curl the bar up and towards your chin. Pause, squeeze your biceps and slowly release to the starting position.

Start Bicep Curl - barbell:

Starting Position

Standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and the knees relaxed, grasp a barbell with an underhand shoulder-width apart grip. Stand upright and let the bar hang in front of your thighs.

Bending at the elbows curl the bar to shoulder level and pause. Slowly lower the bar to the starting position. Maintain the elbows stationary and to the sides of your body during the entire exercise.

Tricep Kickback Tricep Kickback:

Starting Position

With a dumbbell in one hand stand next to a flat bench and position one knee on the bench, keep the other knee bent with the foot flat on the floor. Bend forward from the hips, and place the free hand on the bench. Keep the lower back in neutral and bend so that your upper body is parallel to the floor and the head facing down. Bend the arm holding the dumbbell and raise the elbow past the torso.

Keeping the elbow in place, push the dumbbell back and up by extending the arm backwards. Pause, and slowly return to the starting position. Repeat until the set if finished, then perform with the other arm.

Concentration Curl:

Starting Position

Sit on the edge of a bench and hold a dumbbell with one hand, let the arm hang straight down with the elbow resting on the inside of the knee. Lean your torso over your legs and place the other hand on the opposite knee.

Bending at the elbow, curl the dumbbell up to shoulder level and pause, squeeze your bicep and slowly lower to the starting position. Repeat until your set is finished, then switch arms and complete with the other arm.

Overhead Extension Overhead Extension:

Starting Position

Hold a dumbbell in each hand and lie on a flat bench with the feet flat on the floor. Extend the arms up so that the dumbbells are directly above the shoulders and the palms are facing each other. Keep the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position.

Bending the elbows, lower the dumbbells to the sides of your head. Keeping the elbows in place, extend your arms up to the starting position, pause and repeat.

Incline Bicep Curls Incline Bicep Curls:

Starting Position

Sit on an incline bench and hold a dumbbell in each hand, let your arms hang at your sides and with palms facing each other. Keep the abdominals tight, the lower back in a neutral position and the feet flat on the floor.

Bend at the elbow and curl both dumbbells simultaneously up to shoulder level, rotating the hand inward during the curl (at the top the palm should be facing your shoulder). Pause, squeeze your biceps and slowly lower to the starting position.

Hammer Curls Hammer Curls:

Starting Position

Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and the knees relaxed. Standing upright, let your arms hang to the sides of your body with the palms facing in.

Bending at the elbow curl both dumbbells simultaneously up to shoulder level, keep the palms facing each other during the entire exercise (the movement is similar to hammering a nail). Pause and lower to the starting position

Tricep

Dips:

Starting Position

Standing with your back to a bench, position your heels 2-3 feet in front of you. Either on the floor or on another bench (harder). Grip the edge of the bench with an overhand wide grip (palms facing the bench) and push yourself up so that the arms are fully extended and perpendicular to the floor.

Bending the arms descend towards the floor until your upper arms are parallel to the floor. Push back up to the starting position.

Start Tricep Pushdown :

Starting Position

Attach a short straight bar to a high cable pulley. Grip the bar with the palms facing down and about 10-12 inches apart. Stand upright facing the cable tower and with the elbows close to the sides of your body.

Push the bar down to the front of your thighs. Pause and raise to the starting position. Keep the elbows close and to the side of your body during the entire exercise.

Rope Pushdown:

Starting Position

Attach a rope to a high cable pulley. Grip the ropes with the palms facing each other. Stand upright facing the machine and keep the elbows close to your body.

Push the ropes down towards your hips, as you push down rotate the hands inward and towards the body so that the palms are facing behind you when in the down position. Pause and slowly raise to the starting position. Keep the elbows close and to the side of your body during the entire exercise.

Single Arm Pushdown:

Starting Position

Attach a horseshoe handle to a high cable pulley. With one hand grip the handle with the palms facing down and stand upright facing the machine and with the elbow close to your body. Position the other hand either on your waist or take a hold of the tower in front of you and maintain the shoulders squared.

Push the handle down and back to the side of your body. Pause and with a controlled movement raise to the starting position and repeat until the set is finished. Then switch hands and perform with the other side. Keep the elbow close and to the side of your body during the entire exercise.

Edited by chonabot

Some simple rules on body building. To gain mass you need to use heavy weight (85% of max) and do few reps (8 ideal to be last rep). To tone up, you need to use a lighter weight (65% of max) and do more reps (12). Always keep good form, never use the rest of your body to help in an exercise, its cheating and unhealthy. Do inassociated muscles on the same day. For example dont do biceps and triceps on the same day. Biceps and back are good. Every three months or sooner, you need to shock the system. The body gets used to what you put it through. So not only will you be incrementing the weight as you get stronger at some point in time you will need to do something uncharacteristic. Change your schedule and do different exercises. Drop sets work well for shocking the system.

Drop sets, ideal for someone who has trouble using heavy weights for an extended amount of reps. It involves having three different weight scales. One will be near you max weight, the second 20% less and the third another 20% less. It involves doing the first heavy weight for the maximum amount of reps you can achieve (about 3 or 4) then you immediately go to the next lighter weight, again doing as many reps as possible and then lastly the final weight. Do this for the same amount of sets.

Building big guns (biceps). Stop the preachers. These are great for building the peak on your bicep not the best for gaining mass. Use a heavy weight and do three simple exercises. Dumbell curls, ezycurl bar curls, pulley machine. You can do it seated or standing, seated can be better for your form but you want to be comfortable. Make sure you dont arch your back getting the last few reps out. With the pulley machine I advise you use the rope attachment. Your grip and the angle of seperation between your hands exercises different portion of the bicep. As with the ezycurl bar, you can alternate between the inside grip and the outside grip.

Make sure you also exercise the rest of your arm to keep up with the growth in your bicep. You may find you will get to a point were you can curl more weight but you simply cant hold it. Make sure you exercise your forearms top and bottom. This will also help you in your bench press. Also your triceps are what make your arms look big. Exercise these for huge arms.

Who here is a gym junkie/weight trainer? Looking to have some regular banter with people who train/work out.

no spandex allowed  :o

I work out a lot (5-6 times a week)...but I never use a gym.All the exercises I do are sports related or free exercises ie: press-ups, curl-ups, pull-ups, running,handstand press ups , swimming,tennis, golf, boxing/hapkido etc....

I'm pretty fit and toned from this regime....what are your thoughts on gym vs not-gym ???

Why not give it a shot with the HIT (high intensity training) approach. ONE set only per excercise but until absolute 100% positive failure (= can not lift the weight in correct form anymore independant from how hard you try). Make sure it is actually 100% failure and not just thought because the muscle is just squeaking a little bit :o

Here's the program:

1. Deep Squat

Deep means butt to the ground and not just bending the knees a little bit! Concentrate and breath deeply between each rep. Use a weight you can squeeze out 12 hard reps with until positive failure.

2. Bench presses or dips

Choose a weight you can squeeze out 6 correct form reps until positive failure.

3. Bend over rows

4. Overhead presses

5. Standing curls or preacher curls in strict form (= thumbs below the bar and do not allow your ellbows to wander to the front but stick firmly to your sides. The curl is over when the bar reaches a height not allowing the ellbows staying at your hips anymore but have to be move forward to further raise the bar).

6. Crunches

6 sets only but worked to the absolute limit. This program is finished in about 15 - 20 minutes. Before you repeat it again stay at least 3 days away from the gym. There must be constant progress in every single work-out either by an increased weight and/or the amount of reps in each individual exercise.

Always start with the squats (the most important part of the work out). They do not just work your legs but your entire body. Because of the tremdous tension this excercise initiates it releases plenty of hormones and therefore it should be put at the beginnig of the program. The program should be always over within half an hour because the hormone release starts to deplete then.

After the lifting pick yourself up from the floor and do some sensible stretching for about 20 minutes.

Get sufficient sleep and quality food.

If there is no progress from one training session to the next through in another resting day between the work-outs.

Use safety devises such a multipress or a power rack when doing the squats and benches. Only this way you can assure you can actually go for 100% failure without running the risk to get squashed by the weight.

This work-out is very effective but also extremely grueling if you really do it right. Nothing for sissys chatting there time away in the gym. If you are still able to speak while the session or can even smile you surely have to increase the intensity.

Enjoy it and watch your body and strenghts grow.

Happy liftin'

Richard :D

Im just about to turn 40 now and your reflexes start to slow, so I am opting for sheer strength rather than speed  :o

Just a warning here. As you approach or pass 50 it is likely that your joints will not be able to take the high stresses put on them from heavy weights. This may happen sooner in some people so be careful not to damage your joints. I had to stop weight training at about age 45 as my joints just wouldn't do it.

If you want to put on size to your arms i recommend training them only once per week and include them to a major body part work out. For eg: chest/biceps, shoulders/triceps......

Contrary to mainstream beleif, the less you train the better.... If you want your arms (or any other body part for that matter) to grow you should only train them once per week. As long as your training intensely, you should not need to train more than 3-4 times per week, to cover your whole body being worked out, on weights...... if you do other activities as well as your weight training (as i do) this could not be more important....... training in muay thai or boxing (although cardiovascular) can still help reduce your recovery from your workouts... And in the end, growing is what you said you want to do so i would definately recommend 3-4 days only to progress with your recovery. Also try increasing your protein consumption.......

"fast arm" training can also hinder your arm growth so you can adjust accordingly there if you wish...... hope this can help :o

Who here is a gym junkie/weight trainer? Looking to have some regular banter with people who train/work out.

no spandex allowed  :D

I work out a lot (5-6 times a week)...but I never use a gym.All the exercises I do are sports related or free exercises ie: press-ups, curl-ups, pull-ups, running,handstand press ups , swimming,tennis, golf, boxing/hapkido etc....

I'm pretty fit and toned from this regime....what are your thoughts on gym vs not-gym ???

I beleive you can attain a great physique and great health from both free weights and body weight training. I have seen excellent results from both and beleive really anything you do is better than doing nothing at all......just remember when your out getting a sweat up theres some one else sitting on the couch eating ice cream saying "well maybe tomorrow i will start my get fit routine".......

All men are created equal......make sure you get the edge on your oponent and put in the hard work! :o

I have been having trouble with gaiing size in my biceps, if anyone knows any great biceps excercises I would be appreciative.

I currently do, preacher curls, dumbell curls, straight bar curls and seated dumb bell curls - is there anyone who has a good arm workout routine?

Torny - u working both tri/biceps when doing preacher curls? Try front/reverse normally do 3 sets of 8 when I'm in the gym.

Which is best - working out in the morning or evening? If morning, best before breakfast or after?

Total newbie to all this, as you can see...

If you've got to do a day's work, I'd go for the evening, especially if you're not used to working out. Otherwise you could suddenly find yourself shattered and lethargic around the office. Much better to feel like that at home when you can sit down and do nothing or as little as possible while your body recovers.

Also, if you're into cinema, I've recently learnt that watching a film straight after a workout is a very pleasant experience. Sitting in those big comfortable seats with a coke and staring at the silver screen is a perfect way make use of the recovery time.

Enjoy :o

no spandex allowed  :D

I beleive you can attain a great physique and great health from both free weights and body weight training. I have seen excellent results from both and beleive really anything you do is better than doing nothing at all......just remember when your out getting a sweat up theres some one else sitting on the couch eating ice cream saying "well maybe tomorrow i will start my get fit routine".......

All men are created equal......make sure you get the edge on your oponent and put in the hard work! :o

It actually very practical aswell. I travel alot for business, but I can do the same workout anywhere, in hotel room, at a park,etc... and no gym fees to pay. Plus it feels good to know I am strong in terms of mastering my own body weight. I've been to a gym a couple of times, and I dont really like them.The closest I get to going to a "facility", is a swimming pool,although I prefer ocean swimming.I also like the variety of cross-training.I sort of first got into it when a mate gave me a SEAL workout book.Now I have never been in the armed forces, and would never profess to be, but this book is what the SEALs do to keep in shape.It is superb guide for an all around water, land, cross training, free training appraach to fitness and getting ripped.

I do head out to the gym to make use of the facilities but i also like to do exercise at home. I often do 30 mins skipping in the morning. work up a ncie sweat and makes you feel pretty good for the rest of the day.

I also do press ups, leg raises, crunches and other exercises I can do in almost any place. That makes this workout particularly useful...its versatility in being able to do it anywhere and not just the gym...

:D thanks for all of this brilliant advise gents, it really will help me!

Ofcourse I cant reply to you all individually as there is to many of you :D

Chon, I did hammer curls today (with the other bicep stuff I do) and really could feel the burn - cheers mate! I will intoduce "Incline Bicep Curls Incline Bicep Curls:

" as time goes on. :D

penelope, I totally agree with your ideas on training and especially to be able to lift your own weight - I had a major peak yesterday and benched 100kgs 6 times and 120kgs once - I felt magic! It has taken me 4 months of heavy training to get there :D . I realise you train with isometrics? and your own body weight as I used to in the army, but I do want to bulk up more first - although I do push ups and crunches at home.

greenfuji, "Building big guns (biceps). Stop the preachers" - I didnt do any preachers today, I will see how that goes. the other info was a great read and I do a lot of that already - I feel Im on the right track.

Richard Hall. I just bought a high intensity training book actually and have been reading that method of training. I have lent it to a mate for a day or so, so cant tell you the name or author at the mo - The guy trained Arnie for a while and he said it was to gruelling for Arnie :D I will try that way of training and let you know how I get on.

chownah, I read somewhere that if you start training before 40 and you strengthen your joints, you can do weight training well into your 60's. After 40, and with no other weight training experience, you are prone to rips and tears. Obviously all people are built different and an age is just a number, but this is why I have chosen to start now.

soi lurker, I heard the same thing "recommend training them only once per week ", I tried that in my 3rd month as the guys at the gym told me that to. It didnt work for me though, although it might for someone else. I lost strength.

I take in what you say about recovery though and maybe I should stop the boxing and stick to running/walking - Id like that actually as getting kneed in the ribs from a 20 year old Muay Thai fighter, gets real long in the tooth :D Cheers!

britmaveric, I do biceps, back, shoulders one day. I do chest and triceps the other - it seems to be working, although as someone else pointed out, Im at the point now I want to shock my body to get size - so I might try biceps and triceps in the same workout soon?

Sarpedon, thanks for your post :D

Ive just has a great finger workout :o

cheers for all the info!

On a 3 day split at the moment and it sounds as if you are overtraining your arms which might be the reason you are not seeing any growth. Remember when you're working your back you are more often than not working your biceps (equally so for chest/triceps). For my biceps I just do chin-ups and easy bar curls and have seen good growth.

Remember though two thirds of your upper arm is the tricep, so if you want big arms these have to be developed as well. I do dips and pushdowns, you shouldn't need any more than 2 direct exercises on these small muscle groups.

Yeh i thought you looked a bit puny when we met last :o

I've just started attending the gym everyday but i am a complete newbie and i find that it interferes with my glass lifting evening exercise.

Seriously though I'd love to get rid of this beer gut. :D

The wife and I have joined The Marriott for the year as we got a great price.

I'm starting to feel alot better for it.

Edited by davethailand

ADVICE NEEDED

I am a squash player who has also been doing weight training for the last ten years or so.

I started having heartburn and gastric reflux a couple of years back and despite a good diet could not get rid of it.

I finally figured out what was causing the problem....hiatal hernia...self diagnosed

i stopped weight training 2 months ago and have not had any heartburn at all since i stopped.

Now despite still playing squash regularly i am getting a little flabby....any ideas on how i could improve muscle strength and toning without causing heartburn again?

If you want to gain muscle mass/size the rule of thumb is to lift the heaviset weight you can. If you lift they heavies weight for a low number of reps you will gain size.

I used to do this but after popping a couple of blood vessels in my biceps I decded to cool it and only lift medium level weights. So be careful.

Im just about to turn 40 now and your reflexes start to slow, so I am opting for sheer strength rather than speed  :o

Just a warning here. As you approach or pass 50 it is likely that your joints will not be able to take the high stresses put on them from heavy weights. This may happen sooner in some people so be careful not to damage your joints. I had to stop weight training at about age 45 as my joints just wouldn't do it.

Not even 40 - I started back in the gym at 34 and have been plagued by tendonitis. It is manageable though. You need a good sports therapist to get you through it - there's one guy at Bangkok Hospital - Dr Wichan who's a sports medicine doctor & surgeon. He sorted my knees out after years of visiting quacks.

As a general rule of thumb - especially for us 'oldies' - never go up in weights more than 10% at a time - so if you are squatting 100lbs & think you can go higher - stick at 110lbs & no more for a few weeks - even if you feel your muscles can do more.

Workouts are available all over the internet - just make sure you don't favour all of the pretty muscles - chest, biceps, triceps. For every 'pull' exercise you do - there should be an opposing 'push' exercise. For instance - bench press should be opposed with an upright row. You don't necessarily have to do them in the same session but if you only do the bench & not the row - over time you'll end up with hunched shoulders as your chest muscles are pulling harder than the opposing back muscles.

You asleep yet ?