Iranian National Arrested For Allegedly Smuggling 'Ice' Into Thailand

webfact

Iranian man arrested for allegedly smuggling 'Ice' into Thailand

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An Iranian man was caught on Thursday at Suvarnabhumi Airport trying to smuggle 1.75 kilograms of ice worth Bt6.1 million into the country.

Araj Kharimi Panabandani, 24, who arrived at 8am from Iran's Tehran, reportedly confessed - after the Customs Department found the crystallised methamphetamine hydrochloride tied around his waist - that he was unemployed and was hired to carry the drug into Thailand.

He was supposed to deliver the shipment at the airport and get paid US$1,000 or about Bt30,000.

Despite records showing that this was his second visit, he claimed that this was the first time to get involved in the drug trade.

Police booked him on possessing ice with intent to sell and bringing the drug into Thailand without a permit.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-01

Considering  the frequency Iranians caught while smuggling Ice into Thailand, coming From Tehran, we should considerate Iran a big meth producer (Among  other things...)

He was charged... and bringing the drug into the country without a permit. 

Didn't know you could get a permit for ice?

Iranian arrested for smuggling 'ice'

BANGKOK: -- Customs officers at Thailand's main international airport on Thursday arrested an Iranian man for smuggling 1.75 kg of crystal methamphetamine, commonly known as "ice", with an estimated street value of Bt6.1 million, upon his arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Twenty four-year-old Arash Karimi Panabandani was arrested after customs officials observed him behaving suspiciously after he disembarked.

The authorities found nothing illegal in his luggage but upon a thorough body search found three bags of crystal meth hidden in a brown cloth bag which was tightly wrapped around his waist.

Mr Panabandani confessed that was hired by a major drug agent in Tehran, the Iranian capital, to deliver the illicit drug to a network in Bangkok. He travelled from Tehran via a Mahan Air flight.

He said received US$1,000 for each delivery and had successfully carried the drug three times previously.

The drug bearer is believed to be a member of a transnational drug network wanted in Iran. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-07-01

I am sorry but someone really need to proof read before publish

Headline reads"Allegedly smuggling" There is no allegation that he was,if the drugs are found on him, it is no longer allegedly

Also no mule on this planet gets paid 30 000 baht for 6 000 000 baht worth of drugs.Payment for carrying this much would be 5 times of what he claimed, not that it makes any difference to the fact

Headline reads"Allegedly smuggling" There is no allegation that he was,if the drugs are found on him, it is no longer allegedly

Also no mule on this planet gets paid 30 000 baht for 6 000 000 baht worth of drugs.Payment for carrying this much would be 5 times of what he claimed, not that it makes any difference to the fact

Sorry, but wrong. Under the precept of innocent until proven guilty the crime is alleged until he is found guilty by a judge and/or a jury.

I also believe there have been several cases lately where drug mules have claimed to have been paid $1000/trip. Do you have some inside knowledge on this? Surely the rate would be based on the level of income in the carrier's country - where a $1000 would seem a insufficient to risk your future for to a resident in a wealthy country, to a Filipina or an Iranian it may well represent many months of income.

Sorry, but wrong. Under the precept of innocent until proven guilty the crime is alleged until he is found guilty by a judge and/or a jury.

I also believe there have been several cases lately where drug mules have claimed to have been paid $1000/trip. Do you have some inside knowledge on this? Surely the rate would be based on the level of income in the carrier's country - where a $1000 would seem a insufficient to risk your future for to a resident in a wealthy country, to a Filipina or an Iranian it may well represent many months of income.

Hmmm, what needs to be proven? what part of guilt? If the drugs are found in your bag-thats 1 case but once its found on your body-there is no need to prove anything-now its only the matter of jail term,how on earth could anyone prove their innocence with drugs strapped to the body???

The rate is based on the amount mule will carry and how stupid the mule is. In most cases after investigations it turns out that the "alleged" mule is not in fact a mule but is a drug trafficker.

Also mules are always very well paid to make sure, should they get arrested they do not give out names and sources.

Recent reports quoted amounts according to the offenders, not even 1 report had confirmed evidence of the amounts mules were really paid.

As for insider information-wellrolleyes.gif

It is insufficient income in Iran ,you can't live with this amount just for one month ,So i don't think this is a real news or maybe they have wrong information.

This is a place to discuss news stories, not for druggies to brag about their habits. In fact doing so on a public forum with your IP exposed is pretty stupid so I've removed the offending posts and those quoting it.

I never understand why they are so quick to name and shame them here! , why don't they keep it quite , and offer the smuggler a deal if he takes them to his source ? IE the dealers in thailand ! That's the only way to break up these big networks

[/size][/font][/b]

Well, fact and past arrests would tell you that you are wrong. $1000 US is the reported going rate for young smugglers, often unemployed, from Iran for the past 2 years.

And yes, neither you nor I would do it. But often these guys are not highly educated and have no clue as to how serious the crime is or how many that is actually caught.

[/size][/font][/b]

Well, fact and past arrests would tell you that you are wrong. $1000 US is the reported going rate for young smugglers, often unemployed, from Iran for the past 2 years.

And yes, neither you nor I would do it. But often these guys are not highly educated and have no clue as to how serious the crime is or how many that is actually caught.

What fact??? Fact that this amount was quoted by the caught? or what other fact?What makes you think and be so sure that $1000 is a going rate? according to whom? what source?

you do not need to be highly educated or educated for that matter at all to know how serious the crime is and the consequences.

according to your logic if they not very well educated they would not know that murder is a serious crime???

even if they have less brain then a chicken, just watching movies alone would give some hint-NO?

Edited by kuffki

Police booked him on possessing ice with intent to sell and bringing the drug into Thailand without a permit.

So, if you have a permit, it is OK to bring in Ice?

Can't you buy such a 'permit' at Kao San Road? " The person is allowed to bring Naam Kaeng into other countries without getting checked."?

Or does the labour department issue such a permit? I'm confused.......

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic picture

[/size][/font][/b]

What a funny post. Where's the reported rate for young smugglers? Guess it's more a logical thing to understand the difference between wrong and right...no matter what type of education somebody had.