Honda Wave 125I Good Buy?

falkan

Has thought long on upgrading the motorbike at home, and was watched on a Honda Wave 125I today, they wanted 50000tbh.

Is this a good buy? is there a new model soon, so you do not buy one now and about 3-4 months popped up a newer model.

Those of you who have already have one, are you satisfied with it? how much petrol prefer it?

Something else I should know before I buy one ..?

Good but the autos seem like a better deal, eg scoopy or click.

Paid 50k for mine about 5 years ago. It never had a single problem. I recently had to have maintenance done though: a new chain for a whopping 400 baht!

Engine is indestructible. The plastics start to make some noise over time thought. Fuel economy is amazing, i measured 50km / liter. Not marketing speak, this is the actual gas mileage i get every day.

Good but the autos seem like a better deal, eg scoopy or click.

Paid 50k for mine about 5 years ago. It never had a single problem. I recently had to have maintenance done though: a new chain for a whopping 400 baht!

Engine is indestructible. The plastics start to make some noise over time thought. Fuel economy is amazing, i measured 50km / liter. Not marketing speak, this is the actual gas mileage i get every day.

..funny, they must have forgotten to put a chain on my Click..

Honda motor cycles are the best quality around. Wave 125 is the best of the best. I still have the old Honda Dream 100 I bought in '94 with 140,000 km! on the clock, undestructable

Yes, Wave 125 is a very good buy, Honda Scoopy or Click if you want the auto

Just bought my 2nd one. I had one for 4 years I bought used, and got 50km/l, with straight 91 benzine. I've tested 3 tanks on my new one that I paid 49,000 baht for at Mityon-Pattaya. First tank 48km/l. But 55km/l on the next two. And that's with E-10 gasahol, which is 5 baht cheaper per liter. Good bikes. Autos are convenient for sure, and the gap is narrowing on mileage difference between semi-auto and auto, but there's still a gap.

Was down again from the merchant, apparently they had received them "new" colors , would not be any performance difference, but thought them "old" colors better dressed, more than anyone that I think the same? I checked out Honda's website but unfortunately no one can find pictures of the new colors.

probably buy one next week, is there anything to be upgraded directly to better brakes etc? or should I buy the standard version

Well, I rode a kick start only 125 Wave. Model # = XR? I forgot. If you can, get disk brakes. And fear not, it started on the first or second kick every time. The semi-automatic works well and I dislike automatics when you go up a really steep hill.

There is a nice CZ 110 i as well for over 10 grand less.

Chris

I've had Honda Wave 125s over the past 10 years, part exchanging to new every 2-3 years.

Last month I did the math and my overall cost for a new Wave 125i (less pex value which applies anyway), with my usual extras (alloys, gas suspension, alarm, air horn and brake/lights/siren - don't scoff, flashng lights and noise let's some of the morons know you're there and has saved me from several close to certain accidents) would have been around 63-65k.

This is why I decided to go for the Honda PCX, also 125cc, but auto and a far more comfy ride on Pattaya roads, even against the Wave's gas suspension. It also comes with factory alarm (not great but adequate), and after transferring the brake/siren and air horn from the Wave, my all in cost was around 72k on the road with tax and 2 years insurance (2,800bt).

Imho, good value for an extra few k, and though it may look heavier it's as easy as the Wave to handle, has excellent acceleration (useful for getting out of trouble), and not that I ever felt like an endangered specie on the Wave, but the PCX feeels very much safer.

My only gripe is that for 10 years I've had a basket out front to drop things in, and though the PCX has a surprisingly large utility box, nothing can compensate for that.

Hope that helps.

There is a "new" Wave model with auto-transmission. You can find details by looking on Google for motorcycles in Thailand and prices.

But it is a 110 cc. Also, it has a short chain from the new-style (cooled) autobox - should lead all automatics for fuel efficiency.

Yesterday I bought the bike, do I need to run it in x number of hours at low speed or is full gas ok?, I asked the Honda, but do not think they really understood what I meant. do not want to risk running the engine apart

do not want to risk running the engine apart

:)

You cannot run a Honda Dream engine apart whatever you, My old Honda Dream 100 has done something like 140,000 km and believe me I have tried, striking the gearbox, revving way into the red, flooding which filled the whole engine with water, you name it, it simply refuses to break.

Edited by MikeyIdea

Yesterday I bought the bike, do I need to run it in x number of hours at low speed or is full gas ok?, I asked the Honda, but do not think they really understood what I meant. do not want to risk running the engine apart

Oddly enough, and it did sound odd coming from a professed expert, though people tend to treat their new bike with kid gloves early on, today's engine does not need to be 'run in' and it's healthier for it to be given an occasional right good belting.

I wouldn't guess if it's an urban legend, a 'man' thing, or fact, but I've never had a problem.

• 3 months later...