Couple Get Lucky With Stolen ATM Card, Then Get Arrested

webfact

I thought the maximum you can draw out from a Thai bank is 50,000 per day

In the Uk it's even less, 300-400 pounds

On average they were getting 22,750 baht per transaction, this would take around 2 weeks.... something stinks of poo poo :whistling:

20,000 Baht is the usual limit per day irrespective of transactions unless you have made other arrangements. If it is an offshore bank who knows? Usually about USD500-1,000 depending what you tell your bank.

You can actually upgrade your daily limit to anything and can do this at an atm machine. It will ask you for your passport number and then what limit you want to raise the limit to. I can currently withdraw upto 200,000 in 1 day

It is not only a case of fraudulent use at ATM's.

Expats need to realise that if your ATM (debit) card is stolen & if for any reason you do not cancel it promptly, it can easily be used to purchase goods in local shops.

Most business's here are not too interested if the card is used fraudulently or not and being a debit card you are using your own savings so the banks don't care either. Sure the bank may investigate if you lodge a complaint but you will have no chance of being reinbursed. I know, I am speaking from experience.

As someone said before on this forum, Thailand is not ready for credit. In the west, new cards have embeded chips, to make copying more difficult & PIN's are replacing signatures to help prevent forging of signatures.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Bangkok Bank VISA card was stolen. The thief used it to drain my account -- over 75,000 baht -- by making purchases on 22 different occasions. Suspecting fraud, several of the merchants got the name of the thief, and in some cases even a copy of his Thai ID card. But they never rejected any of the purchases; or even called the bank to report the purchase, even they knew it was probably fraudulent (After all, a sale is a sale is a sale. Isn't it????). In no case, did the signature on the sales slip bear any resemblance to mine.

The Bank steadfastly refused any responsibility, suggesting instead that I take up the matter with the various merchants. They refused to dispute the sales with the merchants, saying that they couldn't possibly do that, as the merchants were their good customers. Ditto the merchants, saying that I should take it up with the bank.

So, what can one conclude other than this is a dirty little conspiracy between the Bank and its merchants, with the objective of cheating their customers (that's you and me, boys and girls)?

The story ends with the thief getting caught and spending over two years in prison for his transgressions, but with the Bank and its merchants getting off Scott-free, even though they were clearly accessories to the crime.

After dozens of letters to headquarters of VISA in San Francisco, and to VISA Southeast Asia in Singapore, the Bank finally called and said please to stop writing letters, and that they would reimburse me in full, including interest, on the money that they permitted to be stolen from my bank account.

Although I've been made whole, I am left with a very bad taste in my mouth, knowing that the Bank and its merchants (which include Carrefour, Tesco, and Central Department Store) can knowingly participate with impunity in transactions in which their customers are clearly being defrauded.

Incidentally, I have since observed a hundred or more credit card transactions being made before me in check-out queues, and not once have I seen the clerk make a comparison of the signature on the sales slips with that on the credit card. After all, why should they be careful, when the merchants take the position that they bear no responsibility for any fraud being committed?

GUYS BE CAREFULL, specially at the moment of the Worldchampionchips in football. Thais are addicted to gambling and if they loose they often see no other chance as to get the money they own the bookie with crime.

There is a huge burglary serie going on atm, specially in Phuket Rawai, Nai Harn area, also in Patong and Kathu district. I talked with some ppl yesterday evening and atm everybody knows somebody here with a break in.

Just heard another horrorstory yesterday evening from a guy they knocked of his motobike with an ironbar. He was 3weeks in a coma and is happy to be still alive. Life is worth nothing here when it comes to money.

I know its a bit OFF Topic, sry for that.

This guy made several bone head mistakes (not locking his car at the beach, easily guessable PIN code, etc). Guess this Irish expat better get a new four leaf clover...and he better get a whole bale of them if he continues his current methods of protecting his valuables.

Plus he better stay out of that shit hole Phuket.

I had my Kasikorn atm card stolen while I was in Vietnam and whilst I was trying to cancel it with the hopeless staff in Thailand they went shopping and cleared out my account. No PIN number needed! I lost 17,000 baht...luckily I never keep too much in my Thai bank accounts as I know there's no chance of getting it back...moral of the story? Never keep more in a Thai bank than you can afford to lose as there's no protection from fraud here like in most western countries. I even managed to get online and report the theft before it was used but the guy couldn't cancel it...I had to call the hotline in Thailand and by the time I managed to talk with somebody it had already been used! There're still a lot of countries where a pin number is not required to make a purchase so be careful guys, if you lose your card you could lose all your money to boot! By the way I also lost an HSBC UK credit card at the same time and this got hit up for 150,000...had the money refunded within 2 days! DON'T TRUST THAI BANKS WITH BIG $$$!!!

Yes I'm sure you can get cash from an ATM without a PIN <deleted>??

frankthetank Just a bit curious!! What link?

Boycie Look back at me post #38 "It all makes sense now"

Here it is again It all makes sense now

Please, please, please admin/mods help me out here.:unsure:

If another member only reads the OP then posts "must be something more to the story", "pin numbers", "amount can withdrawal in a day":redcard2:

got it, sorry was reading half asleep before.. :sleepy:

the suspects guessed his PIN number

<deleted> ?

used his bank card to make 33 transactions adding up to 750,800 baht.

<deleted> x 2 ?

ps

Pacharin Rathanaphansunthara, 24,

wonder if she's hot

Man, it's the rainy season.....

two things..check the quality of the GF relationship and would a bank really allow so many transactions (what 33?) in such a small period of time? I guess so but I am pretty sure my bank would have contacted me as there are red flags all over the place in this type of activity...<BR><BR>I was contacted by my bank when three items (3 purchases) of stereo equipment over a weekend (another state) were purchased. It was a bogus purchase. I didn't even now the card was stolen and didn't have to pay a cent...<BR><BR>CB<BR><BR>

I had my Kasikorn atm card stolen while I was in Vietnam and whilst I was trying to cancel it with the hopeless staff in Thailand they went shopping and cleared out my account. No PIN number needed! I lost 17,000 baht...luckily I never keep too much in my Thai bank accounts as I know there's no chance of getting it back...moral of the story? Never keep more in a Thai bank than you can afford to lose as there's no protection from fraud here like in most western countries. I even managed to get online and report the theft before it was used but the guy couldn't cancel it...I had to call the hotline in Thailand and by the time I managed to talk with somebody it had already been used! There're still a lot of countries where a pin number is not required to make a purchase so be careful guys, if you lose your card you could lose all your money to boot! By the way I also lost an HSBC UK credit card at the same time and this got hit up for 150,000...had the money refunded within 2 days! DON'T TRUST THAI BANKS WITH BIG $$!!!

If you have an "O" Retirement Visa and don't have a fat pension, we have no choice but to keep a large amount of cash in Thai Bank...kao jai?

:(

My Bangkok Bank VISA card was stolen. The thief used it to drain my account -- over 75,000 baht -- by making purchases on 22 different occasions. Suspecting fraud, several of the merchants got the name of the thief, and in some cases even a copy of his Thai ID card. But they never rejected any of the purchases; or even called the bank to report the purchase, even they knew it was probably fraudulent (After all, a sale is a sale is a sale. Isn't it????). In no case, did the signature on the sales slip bear any resemblance to mine.

The Bank steadfastly refused any responsibility, suggesting instead that I take up the matter with the various merchants. They refused to dispute the sales with the merchants, saying that they couldn't possibly do that, as the merchants were their good customers. Ditto the merchants, saying that I should take it up with the bank.

So, what can one conclude other than this is a dirty little conspiracy between the Bank and its merchants, with the objective of cheating their customers (that's you and me, boys and girls)?

The story ends with the thief getting caught and spending over two years in prison for his transgressions, but with the Bank and its merchants getting off Scott-free, even though they were clearly accessories to the crime.

After dozens of letters to headquarters of VISA in San Francisco, and to VISA Southeast Asia in Singapore, the Bank finally called and said please to stop writing letters, and that they would reimburse me in full, including interest, on the money that they permitted to be stolen from my bank account.

Although I've been made whole, I am left with a very bad taste in my mouth, knowing that the Bank and its merchants (which include Carrefour, Tesco, and Central Department Store) can knowingly participate with impunity in transactions in which their customers are clearly being defrauded.

Incidentally, I have since observed a hundred or more credit card transactions being made before me in check-out queues, and not once have I seen the clerk make a comparison of the signature on the sales slips with that on the credit card. After all, why should they be careful, when the merchants take the position that they bear no responsibility for any fraud being committed?

My experience has been that VERY few places really check/compare signatures...even in the States. Just sayin...

with regards to names on cards, it depends on the bank,my Bangkok bank does have the name on, Kasikorn doesn't.

My Bangkok Bank debit card has no name on it, but “FOUNDER MEMBER”.

Only my old TMB debit card has my name on it.

I guess credit cards always have a name on them.

My question is , why would anyone carry so many valuables and cash with him 'To go swimming' ? Then leave his vehicle unlocked to boot , do people who live/visit here not know better ? .You should not do this type of thing anywhere in the world , but as some say "Some mothers do havém , and they survive " , unbelievable ~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHE left the door unlocked for her cousin and gave her his pin which was his birthday. He still thinks she is not the same as the rest. Go figure.

SHE left the door unlocked for her cousin and gave her his pin which was his birthday. He still thinks she is not the same as the rest. Go figure.
It's possible that when they stole the wallet the guys ID was in there which would have given them his birth date....they could have taken a chance on it and gotten lucky.
two things..check the quality of the GF relationship and would a bank really allow so many transactions (what 33?) in such a small period of time?

Dear, oh dear, oh dear :angry:

Have a look through the 3 pages of this topic so far, you never know there might be some more information to the story :whistling:

Hi if you have a thai bank card ,for instance bangkok bank ATM.

THEN AS LONG AS YOU HAVE ARRANGEMENT WITH THE BANK YOU CAN DRAW ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY up to say 1,000,000 per day

just so long as you have funds in to cover . Any bank will help you but they need you to take precautions to.

heh.

some people obviously like to talk before listening.

knee-jerk, shooting-from-the-hip, responses are much too common.

come on.. at least read, and comprehend, the thread before adding to it.

by not reading first, you are saying you're not interested in what others have to say.

so why should others be interested in what you have to say?

relax, snappy tom.

I asked my wife about the PIN-codes of her debit cards.

At the Government Savings Bank she got a random code in a closed envelope.

At the Siam Commercial Bank they, indeed, suggested her to use her year of birth B.E., what she did.

I had my Kasikorn atm card stolen while I was in Vietnam and whilst I was trying to cancel it with the hopeless staff in Thailand they went shopping and cleared out my account. No PIN number needed! I lost 17,000 baht...luckily I never keep too much in my Thai bank accounts as I know there's no chance of getting it back...moral of the story? Never keep more in a Thai bank than you can afford to lose as there's no protection from fraud here like in most western countries. I even managed to get online and report the theft before it was used but the guy couldn't cancel it...I had to call the hotline in Thailand and by the time I managed to talk with somebody it had already been used! There're still a lot of countries where a pin number is not required to make a purchase so be careful guys, if you lose your card you could lose all your money to boot! By the way I also lost an HSBC UK credit card at the same time and this got hit up for 150,000...had the money refunded within 2 days! DON'T TRUST THAI BANKS WITH BIG $!!!

If you have an "O" Retirement Visa and don't have a fat pension, we have no choice but to keep a large amount of cash in Thai Bank...kao jai?

:(

still have almost 20 years until I could enjoy all benefits of this kind of visa :)

but... just out of interest... is it necessary to hold these money on a card-linked current account?

besides of obvious danger of card fraud, there's 0% (or 0.1% that is almost same) p.a. usually on those accounts, isn't it?

yes and i agree with previous readers - the story is quite strange

700k baht and the bank doesn't care? and no daily/monthly limits? still, if it's genuinely so, I'd never be customer of that bank

Couple get lucky with stolen ATM card, then get arrested

PHUKET: -- A Thai couple relieved an Irish expat of more than 750,000 baht after stealing his ATM card in Phuket and guessing his PIN number from his birth date, police said.

Chai Bunrit, 26, and Pacharin Rathanaphansunthara, 24, then went on a spree, buying a car and staying in luxury hotels across the South before their arrest in a luxury hotel in Nakhon Sri Thammarat last night.

They are now being held at Chalong Police Station.

On May 12, the victim, 41-year-old Decland Rowland, parked his pick-up on the Karon Beach Road and went for a swim with his Thai girlfriend.

He left the vehicle unlocked. The passing couple took advantage of his mistake and stole his ATM card, cellphone, 5,000 baht, five rings and various documents from inside, police said.

After discovering he’d been robbed, Mr Rowland tried to cancel his card – but his bank was closed.

In the meantime, the suspects guessed his PIN number by using his birth date, police said.

They allegedly bought a second-hand Toyota Vios using Mr Rowland’s cash and used his bank card to make 33 transactions adding up to 750,800 baht.

A team of officers from Chalong Police Station and Region 8 Headquarters in Surat Thani caught the couple in a Nakhon Sri Thammarat hotel on Wednesday night.

The pair face a variety of charges, including theft and fraud.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-07-02

You can't help such naive people, if he got a pickup it might not be his first day in TH and should know better how to do...

His bank was closed?? they got a 24h help desk to cancel cards! and there is a telephone directory/information number 1133 to get the number if he can get hold of a phone to call!

sure sounds implausible all round ...

but still..anywhere you go in this world surely at least lock your car even without valubles inside..

basic common sense i would think....then again common sense is a rareity now..

I remember being told by a police man that if there are no valuables in the car, it could be wise to leave it open.

He was responding to the amount of times cars had had their windows smashed by thieves for petty things left in cars

Debit cards are dangerous. Personally I am very apprehensive of having a large sum in checking with a debit card as there are too many ways to copy the card and pin number.

Crooks have been known to put a reader/recorder over the slot in an ATM that records the card info. and pin number.

I recommend putting the bulk in a savings account that only you personally can access and transfer funds to your debit account as needed.

I thought the maximum you can draw out from a Thai bank is 50,000 per day

In the Uk it's even less, 300-400 pounds

On average they were getting 22,750 baht per transaction, this would take around 2 weeks.... something stinks of poo poo :whistling:

You can make it higher if you wish. Well at least the Siam Commercial Bank have this means. My wife and I raised ours and it was done directly at the ATM, but she had to use her bank recorded Thai ID card as part proof to have the limit raised. No extra paperwork required.