I'm Going To Be Naked Soon

meowchawpnom

My old polo shirts are stained and worn and make me look like a bum.

I can't find any new ones in my size. My size is a US X-large. The biggest polo shirts they have here, even in a farang oriented market like the Night Bazaar, are Thai size XXL, which corresponds to a US size Large. They are too small.

When I came here 5 years ago somehow I managed to get a fake Izod shirt at Night Bazaar that was bigger, and fit me. Now nobody has the bigger sizes. I'm still wearing that shirt, and it looks gross by now!

I've looked everywhere. Where can I find a big size shirt, with a chest and waist circumference of 46 to 48 inches? (I'm not that big, but like my shirts loose).

Okay, I do see some at the used clothing stores but they are old and ugly.

I would cause a lot of public commotion if I walked around shirtless, and it wouldn't sit well with Mae Sai immigration either. Please help.

Well ...

if all else fails, you can go to Bangkok.

One of the top floors of MBK has a large are selling big sizes and there is also this area, I think:

"Across the road from Panthip you will find Pratunam Clothing market where you can find lots of wholesale and retail clothing shops, especially in Baiyoke Tower..."

It does really amaze me that there aren't more larger sizes available. They would sell more t shirts to tourists and the Thais are getting bigger themselves. I think with the new younger generation of fast food fatties, this problem will be short lived.

Edited by Thaiquila

Well ...

if all else fails, you can go to Bangkok.

One of the top floors of MBK has a large are selling big sizes and there is also this area, I think:

"Across the road from Panthip you will find Pratunam Clothing market where you can find lots of wholesale and retail clothing shops, especially in Baiyoke Tower..."

It does really amaze me that there aren't more larger sizes available. They would sell more t shirts to tourists and the Thais are getting bigger themselves. I think with the new younger generation of fast food fatties, this problem will be short lived.

That shopping center right behind the Indra Regent that just opened in February has a lot of large sizes too - only place I could find stuff I needed.

Go to a tailor and get them made.Made to fit for half the price you would pay back home for an off the rack jobbie.

There was a shop in Robinsons that sold big sizez.Not sure if it's still there though. :o

I have the same problem with shirts here in LOS.

I fly to Bangkok and go to the emporium to get shirts to fit me. Cerruti clothing make great tshirts and an XXL should fit you. (Cerruit can also be found in Robinsons).

Its not gut size I have a problem with, its the width and depth of the shirt - even the Thai XXL's have been made for stick men, with no shoulders.

There is a shirt shop at airport plaza on the third or fourth floor that only sells very large shirts. There is also a company not far from Kad Suen Kaew called Jipata that does embroidery on shirts. They carry every color and size of polo style shirts and will sell them plain for just 180 baht each. Hope this helps.

You sound to be about my size, maybe a bit smaller :o - I have no problems at Warorot market or a little shop on the bottom floor of Airport Plaza. (Near to Tops, it is in the centre row on the Right hand side as you go from the esculator towards Tops. They stock up to 5-man-tent size, in jeans too!)

Export outlet shop in Airport Plaza (old portion, on 2nd or 3rd floor NE corner I think) - top of the escalator right hand/front side.

Could be the same shop others have mentioned. Has everything from arctic jackets to HUGE shirts.

Hope this helps

Go to a tailor and get them made.Made to fit for half the price you would pay back home for an off the rack jobbie.

There was a shop in Robinsons that sold big sizez.Not sure if it's still there though. :o

Do those Indian tailors make polo shirts? This is not my preferred solution, because in the past when I've had things made I've been very disappointed. They always make them too tight. Also I'm cheap.

Next time your in Mae Sai , right across from the hotel there by the border is a shop w/ Polo shrts,(knockoffs Im sure) but they had some prety big ones last time I looked.

Hope this helps

Thanks. Which hotel do you mean? The one on the right (heading toward the border), where I often use the bathroom? I forget what it's called. "China something"?

There is a shirt shop at airport plaza on the third or fourth floor that only sells very large shirts. There is also a company not far from Kad Suen Kaew called Jipata that does embroidery on shirts. They carry every color and size of polo style shirts and will sell them plain for just 180 baht each. Hope this helps.

I remember that shop at Airport Plaza, though I haven't been there in two years. I seem to recall that they mostly had huge shirts for 400 pound men who are 7 feet tall. But I will check it out again as soon as I can get there.

Jipata sounds like the answer. Do you know exactly where they are?

You sound to be about my size, maybe a bit smaller :o - I have no problems at Warorot market or a little shop on the bottom floor of Airport Plaza. (Near to Tops, it is in the centre row on the Right hand side as you go from the esculator towards Tops. They stock up to 5-man-tent size, in jeans too!)

You have no problems at Warorot? Where are you finding big shirts there?

While we're on the subject, I can't find underwear either! Five years ago I could buy LL size underwear and it fit. Now the same size is too small. Hmm...is it me or is everything getting smaller?

You have no problems at Warorot? Where are you finding big shirts there?

While we're on the subject, I can't find underwear either! Five years ago I could buy LL size underwear and it fit. Now the same size is too small. Hmm...is it me or is everything getting smaller?

Find the shirts upstairs in the clothing area. I'd also like to find some underwear. They really are becoming "Shreddies" now.

Next time your in Mae Sai , right across from the hotel there by the border is a shop w/ Polo shrts,(knockoffs Im sure) but they had some prety big ones last time I looked.

Hope this helps

Thanks. Which hotel do you mean? The one on the right (heading toward the border), where I often use the bathroom? I forget what it's called. "China something"?

Yes , on the right as you walk to the border. Down an alley way. Hotel on left. Nice place for cheap but good Buffet lunch (100 bht. ) Lots of Farangs sty there. Shops on both sides of street/alley to Hotel. Sorry I have forgotten the name too.

If you are going to be naked soon I doubt if they will let you stand up on the bus till you nearly faint on the way back from Mai Sai for very long.

Wearing the same polo shirt for 5 years? Sounds the epitome of farang sartorial elegance, keep it up we could do with some good publicity.

I fly to Bangkok and go to the emporium to get shirts to fit me. Cerruti clothing make great tshirts and an XXL should fit you. (Cerruit can also be found in Robinsons).

Its not gut size I have a problem with, its the width and depth of the shirt - even the Thai XXL's have been made for stick men, with no shoulders.

Yes, the shoulders are the problem with me too.

I would really like to know where exactly this place Jipata is. Went to the Export Shop yesterday and found a shirt. They had a good selection, but unfortunately almost all of them were 100% cotton. I used to love all cotton, but now that I'm here, all cotton knits are a hassle to wash, and I've come to prefer polyester blends, cause I am often washing things myself, and they are a lot less heavy.

Well they had one blend there, and I got it. But I need more.

Yes, I'm aware that all the polo shirts they sell at Night Bazaar say "100% cotton" but they are really 100% polyester. But the ones at Export Shop felt like they were really cotton.

Never thought I'd see the day that I would prefer polyester!

I quote from my initial post on this subject:

I have no problems at .. a little shop on the bottom floor of Airport Plaza. Near to Tops, it is in the centre row on the Right hand side as you go from the esculator towards Tops. (They stock up to 5-man-tent size, in jeans too!)

Check them out. They always seem to have a better selection than other places I have found.

Go up Huey Kaew Road towards the zoo. Pass Kad Suen Kaew and turn left at the first traffic light. Go about 2 miles and Jipata is on your right.

:o

Sam, you mean Sirimankalajarn Road? I know that road and have not seen a place called Jipata there. Also, I don't think that road is even two miles long.

Can you give some other identifying characteristics?

I quote from my initial post on this subject:
I have no problems at .. a little shop on the bottom floor of Airport Plaza. Near to Tops, it is in the centre row on the Right hand side as you go from the esculator towards Tops. (They stock up to 5-man-tent size, in jeans too!)

Check them out. They always seem to have a better selection than other places I have found.

P1P, I did check this place out. Didn't see anything I liked there, but they had some huge sizes that would fit Gorilla Monsoon.

Other problem with shirt shopping here. I like solid colors and the Thais seem to like ugly patterns.

About the Export Shop: be very careful when you buy shirts there. A lot of their shirts are factory seconds and I saw hundreds of shirts with holes in them and other imperfections. In fact the one I bought, which I thought I had looked over carefully, had a hole I discovered when I got it home. Fortunately they let me exchange it.

Yes, the shoulders are the problem with me too.

I would really like to know where exactly this place Jipata is. Went to the Export Shop yesterday and found a shirt. They had a good selection, but unfortunately almost all of them were 100% cotton. I used to love all cotton, but now that I'm here, all cotton knits are a hassle to wash, and I've come to prefer polyester blends, cause I am often washing things myself, and they are a lot less heavy.

Well they had one blend there, and I got it. But I need more.

Yes, I'm aware that all the polo shirts they sell at Night Bazaar say "100% cotton" but they are really 100% polyester. But the ones at Export Shop felt like they were really cotton.

Never thought I'd see the day that I would prefer polyester!

Coupla things.

I have gotten some good shirts from the Export shop, but, yes, you do need to look carefully for those flaws and holes. I hope to check out some of these other shops previously mentioned when I get back. How about nice cotton dress slacks for those of us with a 42" plus waist? I have gotten some in Central in the sales in the open area, but they are not always there. Anything more reliable?

One man's poison.... Personally I go out of my way to find the shirts (and pants and socks) that really are all cotton. For me the fact that shirts with any poly in them make you feel 10 times hotter and sweatier and stickier knock any washing issue out of the picture. Don't you also notice that they stink up quickly and after a few times wearing and washing that the stink comes back minutes after putting it on? Anyway, just thought I'd mention it as food for thought.

However, don't be hasty to condem a shirt until you have washed it a couple of times. They seem to chemically treat a lot of cotton clothes these days so that they are wrinkle resistant like poly. They feel like poly blend for a while and have the same negative properties as well. I always wash a shirt twice in hot water before wearing for this reason. After that the chemical is gone.

Finally, re shopping in BKK, I have a favorite place to get 100% cotton, long sleeve shirts (Calvin Klein knockoffs) in big sizes (I also have big shoulders and my chest size fluctuates between 46 and 48 and I can not claim a flat belly. The XXL is quite roomy for me). I have never told other large falang about this little known spot, I guess out of fear of my supply running out, but of course that is silly, and the guy is so nice I feel I owe it to him.

Anyway it is one of the deaf/mute guys with a table on Silom Rd. I have been going to him for years. Coming from Dot Mai, you walk along Silom toward the Hindu temple, but on the right side of the street. I believe it is the next corner past the temple, and again, on the opposite side. He usually opens around 5 or 6 pm. He starts at a reasonable tourist asking price of about 350. Anyway a good price is 200 to 250 depending on your finances. Maybe by now he can not even do 200 any more. I got the feeling his margin was not much last year. I have compared these shirts to the real things in top department stores and these were actually better. So I don't worry about giving him a little extra now as the inferior shirts were selling for 1,000 to 2,000 baht more.

I have no idea where this guy gets these. I have never seen them anywhere else, from wholesale Thai markets to top retailers.

Anyway enjoy these shirts if you end up in BKK (and let me know what you think). :o