Import Duties - China To Thailand

Sorry if this is an old topic, or one that's been done to death, but I'm having problems getting the information I need.

The scenario: A Thai company, wishing to import ordinary cars from China (where they have been built) into Thailand, where they will be rented.

I'm finding problems getting any definitive information regarding the import duties applicable: AFTA/ASEAN literature suggests that the rate can be either 5% or nil; basic customs info suggests it is still at 200%.

Please could someone point me to a link which gives me a clue, so I can then go to the manufacturer and to an import agent and make arrangements.

Many thanks, and sorry if this is a dull question.

Customs tax is due on all vehicles regardless of where they come from.

There are some really nice jeeps in Laos for around 480,000 baht new but when you add in all the import tax they are more than twice that much to get into Thailand

So that is why there are none here

Customs tax is due on all vehicles regardless of where they come from.

There are some really nice jeeps in Laos for around 480,000 baht new but when you add in all the import tax they are more than twice that much to get into Thailand

So that is why there are none here

Thanks, but can you point me to a source or a link, please?

Just an update - the Customs Clinic have told me that the duty when importing a 'personal' car from China to LOS is only (ONLY???) 80%, as opposed to the 200% from outside the AFTA. I'm still waiting on the commercial rates.......

usually for most goods from the Asean countries, including China you get much better import taxes with a Certificate of Origin "Form E" which the manufacturer has to issue. This will reduce the import tax drastically comparing to imports from Europe or the USA. Not sure for cars though.

Did you check the Thai customs website yet? http://www.customs.go.th

Thanks, thaibutty. yes, I've been in touch with the customs clinic and they've been helpful but I need a bit more. Basically, as you surmise, it's a question of whether it will apply to cars - although, if it didn't, cars would be a lot more expensive than they already are.

I will keep you updated.

Sorry to add in another half understood rumour from the murky world of importing into Thailand but I have heard that personal imports attract the lower rate regardless of origin for Thai citizens. I believe there is then a bond payable which you lose if you sell the car within 2 years.