Don Muang Train And General Info

yeah I know this is a Suvanabhum thread......

This is the guy who suffers from a pretty damned bad agoraphobic panic disorder needing a little help in my quest to return to normal. I've had good input from TV before which has helped me progress.

In the last weeks I have made great progress going to BKK from CM by night train. I have managed to get in the lift and stayed in a friend's place on the 36th, yes 36th! floor penthouse of Chatrium Suites (It's now pretty easy!). Last week I even got onto a ferry, the skytrain, and the tube to Hualamphong and can now go into Paragon. Incredibly gruelliing but getting better!

I really want to keep up the momentum. I haven't been able to get on a plane for 6 years when this damned thing, a sort of PTSD, came back. Odd as I can fly a plane.

I have a cunning plan for next week.

I would like to advance to trying to just hang around an airport until I relax......but Suvarnabhum is to me a cold huge glass inhuman structure in a flat ugly area and despite my best efforts I get terrible panics just even being driven to that area. I need to go a little more gently. I think Don Muang may be a better bet to start.

Last week I looked at Don Muang station from the train. It looked like the sort of place I could get out and hang out in the cafe (ridiculously something of a trial in itself in a new place for me), then when I calm down try to go into the terminal.

Questions

1 I hear the elevated walkway is closed.....but that from the internet was some years ago.....is it still so?

2 What's the best option?

3 I seem to remember the terminal's only one or two hundred metres from the station.....is that so?

4 I looked up Thai railways but could only find a timetable for the big Chiangmai train. Any link to a local train timetable? (My idea is to get off the CM train, hang out, then take the local train into BKK an hour or two later)

What airlines go from Don Muang?

5 Am I right in thinking the freeway is between the station and the terminal?

It may seem crazy, but if anyone can offer anything which will enable me to get inside the terminal if possible, in a place where there are "hiding places" where I can relax, it would help a lot. Any photos would be great.

I figure if I can hang out at the terminal comfortably maybe I could have a couple of beers to help me out on a quick flight to CM where I feel comfortable.

Thanx a lot!

John

ps attach my bedroom view of our sister building complete with helipad.....still can't quite believe I made it up there!

post-17221-092198600 1278134283_thumb.jp

Edited by sleepyjohn

The international terminal @ DM is deserted and you might find some solace there.

John this is a very interesting post.

My first reaction is wondering how you have exited and entered Thailand without getting on a plane in 6 years and thinking that you have not been home in that time as well. But in case there are some genuine needs I'll spend a few mins with some info which may be of use in case you DO need it.

However, first can I suggest something?

Why not just take the new Airport train to the Swampy airport? Don't get off the train the first time, ride it back. The next time get off and walk around the platform. Do a few more trips and progressively and gradually work your way up into the Terminal each trip. (The Airport train is free unitl 23 Aug but only runs 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm). See how it goes.

Going out to DMK is not really worth it by train. The DM train station is located 1km north of the Domestic terminal (it is connected with the now closed Terminal 1) but not easy to get to the Domestic terminal unless your looking for a long walk (or you could cross over Vihavadi road and take a bus a few stops south to the domestic terminal). You might actually be better off getting off at Laksi station which is 2km south of the Domestic Terminal and then taking a taxi (direct) and or bus (stop opposite and then walk over the pedestrian link).

There are places to 'hide' in the Domestic terminal and have a drink. Only two airlines currently operate from DMK, Nok and 1,2, Go. Both do fly to CM.

You can find SRT train times on their site; http://www.railway.c...sh/Time_PDF.asp check both North and NE timetables.

Edited by Lakegeneve