Terrible Terrible News - Rider Down - Ducati Bangkok

Garry

All,

I have just received word from a close mate of mine in Bangkok, that Chum the main man in Ducati Thonglor got killed last night on his way home.

My mate was in Thonglor this morning and found the place closed but staff were inside. Everyone was crying. Dom came out and talked to my mate and that Chum was going over one of those small hump type canal bridges and ran into a stationary telecom truck. Apparently the truck had no visible signs or lights displayed to warn oncoming traffic. I'm sure that this is a route that Chum has taken a thousand times before.

Chum was the heart and soul of Ducati Thonglor: salesman, PR & marketing face, event organiser, experienced track day instructor, the list goes on.

I'm absolutely gutted, as I had known Chum for over five years. He may not have been a close friend but he he still stood up as a stallwart for Ducati and motorcycle participation in Thailand. He will be sorely missed.

I will post up more as I find out.

regards

Garry

So sad to hear.

Chum was going over one of those small hump type canal bridges and ran into a stationary telecom truck. Apparently the truck had no visible signs or lights displayed to warn oncoming traffic. I'm sure that this is a route that Chum has taken a thousand times before.

Could simply happen to any of us.

RiP.

This is very sad news. I've known Chum for over 3 years, having bought a new bike from Ducati in 2007. He was my salesman. Chum was a great guy. He treated everyone the same. It didn't matter to him if you bought parts from abroad instead of going through him, his first concern was always that you were happy with your bike. He was honest in business and a genuine nice guy outside the shop, . I'm really stunned and my heart goes out to his family, co-workers and many friends. He will be missed by everyone who knew him.

What a tragedy! I met Chum in Phuket earlier this year, prior to opening Ducati showroom. Young man, full of patience, energy and enthusiasm with eternal smile on his face. He was very experienced, not a show-off kind of rider. Somebody has to pay for this! Young intelligent life was lost due to other people's total dissregard and ignorance of the law.....

Chum was also leader of Storm Club, sport bikes riders group.

post-68174-067918000 1278178305_thumb.jp post-68174-022209300 1278178316_thumb.jp post-68174-029299900 1278178324_thumb.jp post-68174-013140300 1278178331_thumb.jp

RIP.. Always terrible to have a rider down and someone prominent in the ride community here too

PS:I hope the Telcom Guy's come to justice for this....

Somebody has to pay for this! Young intelligent life was lost due to other people's total dissregard and ignorance of the law.....

I fail to understand this tho, from the information posted it seems he hit a static / parked vehicle.

RIP.. Always terrible to have a rider down and someone prominent in the ride community here too

PS:I hope the Telcom Guy's come to justice for this....

Somebody has to pay for this! Young intelligent life was lost due to other people's total dissregard and ignorance of the law.....

I fail to understand this tho, from the information posted it seems he hit a static / parked vehicle.

From what I was told, the truck was parked in such a way that it was not immediately obvious to oncoming traffic. This would be a typical blind spot scenario caused by this canal bridge. It was late at night, who knows where the brdge was? Could have been in a pitch black area. Its all up in the air the very exact circumstances of the accident. I'm not going to speculate anymore on this, but just pass on what I was told.

Thank to Garry, Gus (netfan) and Crobiker for their tributes.

Chum, who was only 33, was killed riding home from work on Friday at about 10pm. According to Jay, his Streetfighter hit a stationary truck that was parked over the rise of a bridge at the intersection of Petchburi Rd and Ramkhamheang Rd.. The truck had stopped to repair streetlights and had warning lights and signs placed too close to the truck which couldn't be seen by vehicles approaching on the incline to the bridge. What a waste!

00000098-8.jpg

I went into Ducati Thonglor Saturday afternoon after receiving a text that Chum had been killed. The place was closed up but there were a few bikers and mechanics on site. JC (848) and Tony696 came along after hearing the news. Head mechanic, Jay returned from the police station with Chum's wrecked Streetfighter and it was a poignant moment as we sat and watched Jay and the guys unload the bike.

There was a nice memorial service at St Louis Church on Sathorn in the evening. Such a large number of well-wishers turned up to pay respects that they couldn't all be seated inside. He is survived only by his sister, who gave a moving, tearful thanks to all for attending. It was rather surreal to see the casket with Chum's picture next to it and a video and slide show of his Ducati rides and training courses.

I bought both my Ducati's (S2R 1000 and 848) from him and we had last ridden together on a one-day 700klm ride from Bangkok to Phuket for the bike week in April. A more helpful and friendly guy you couldn't meet. Along with head-mechanic Jay, they were an excellent team at Ducati. He will be sorely missed.

The funeral service is this Wednesday in his hometown of Nakhom Pathom. The turnout is expected to be huge and I will be riding there along with (hopefully, work permitting) Gus, Reimund, JC, Tony696 and others. Obviously, any bikers wishing to attend will be welcome.

Edited by RusticCharm

RIP Mate

Aren't cats' eye reflectors mandatory on the rear of cars and trucks? Saw some bicycles with old CDs as reflectors.

Bloody double standards here in LOS. Bikers need to pass that extreme emissions test and trucks can drive around without the most basic of safety items.

Chris

Thank to Garry, Gus (netfan) and Crobiker for their tributes.

Chum, who was only 33, was killed riding home from work on Friday at about 10pm. According to Jay, his Streetfighter hit a stationary truck that was parked over the rise of a bridge at the intersection of Petchburi Rd and Ramkhamheang Rd.. The truck had stopped to repair streetlights and had warning lights and signs placed too close to the truck which couldn't be seen by vehicles approaching on the incline to the bridge. What a waste!

00000098-8.jpg

I went into Ducati Thonglor Saturday afternoon after receiving a text that Chum had been killed. The place was closed up but there were a few bikers and mechanics on site. JC (848) and Tony696 came along after hearing the news. Head mechanic, Jay returned from the police station with Chum's wrecked Streetfighter and it was a poignant moment as we sat and watched Jay and the guys unload the bike.

There was a nice memorial service at St Louis Church on Sathorn in the evening. Such a large number of well-wishers turned up to pay respects that they couldn't all be seated inside. He is survived only by his sister, who gave a moving, tearful thanks to all for attending. It was rather surreal to see the casket with Chum's picture next to it and a video and slide show of his Ducati rides and training courses.

I bought both my Ducati's (S2R 1000 and 848) from him and we had last ridden together on a one-day 700klm ride from Bangkok to Phuket for the bike week in April. A more helpful and friendly guy you couldn't meet. Along with head-mechanic Jay, they were an excellent team at Ducati. He will be sorely missed.

The funeral service is this Wednesday in his hometown of Nakhom Pathom. The turnout is expected to be huge and I will be riding there along with (hopefully, work permitting) Gus, Reimund, JC, Tony696 and others. Obviously, any bikers wishing to attend will be welcome.

Rustic,

Gutted is only one word to discribe this news. I am still away from Thailand so cannot attend any ceremony, so please if you guys are planning a wreath or something similiar, can you please add my wife and I's name to the thoughts and condolences to his family and the Ducati gang at Thong Lor.

What a nice bloke and what a great team he had put together to run Ducati Thailand. I have only owned my Monster 1100 since October last year but have had the pleasure of meeting Chum on many an occasion. He was so polite and friendly to anyone who step into his Ducati Home and like many of us have had the pleasure of riding into the BKK bike show and Pattaya/Burapa Bike Week last Feb with him and the guys/girls.

Chum, rest in peace my friend, as you were one of lifes genuine nice guys and have been taken away from us and your family way too early. As many have said, you will be sorely missed.

There are so many little hump back bridges in Bangkok, going over all the little khlongs etc. One has to be so careful, as anything, quite literally anything can be just over that hump - a stationary truck or even trucks, a foodcart being pushed, a streethawker and his elephant, the list is endless.

May he RiP.