Protein Powder

cheesey

You can buy protein powder at GNC in Central Kad Suan Keaw, but it's very expensive. You can also buy it at some of the big pharmacies in Central Kad Suan Keaw or Airport Plaza, but again it's expensive when compared with the US/Europe. Powerhouse Gym also sells it.

Personally, I buy it on eBay as it's cheaper even with the postage costs.

You might look up a previous post on Liquid Goat Whey, which is sold in many healthfood stores (Baan Suan Paak, near President Hotel, or Aden on Nimmanhemin rd, near WarmUp). The producer will get the university to measure the protein content. 

At RimPing near the airport, they sell almond powder for 235 baht pr 500 g bags. That gives about 20-25 grams of protein, pr 100 g serving, I guess. I simply mix the powder with water, then drink it. I take one or two servings pr day. For sure much more expensive than protein powder, if you think costwise only in terms of protein, but this also has many other nutritional benefits. I guess quite a lot of calories (around 700-900?) pr 100 g, from healthy fat etc. And I believe it also contains some minerals etc, like magnesium. 

Also, I eat perhaps 6 raw eggs pr day (organic eggs). Put 2-3 eggs in a glass, then swallow. Done in ten seconds, and actually no big deal once I got used to it. I barely get any vomiting reflex from doing this, anymore! Haha. And if I do, I just laugh about it! It is just a conditioned response, due to some idea about raw eggs not being a comfortable thing to have in the mouth etc. I believe quickly swallowing some raw eggs provides much better nutritional value than any highly processed proteinpowder, from genetically manipulated soya or from cows on hormones fed GMO foods etc. After a workout, I drink a bottle of raw goat milk or goat whey. 

Would be interesting to hear your experience, if you try any of this :-)

You might look up a previous post on Liquid Goat Whey, which is sold in many healthfood stores (Baan Suan Paak, near President Hotel, or Aden on Nimmanhemin rd, near WarmUp). The producer will get the university to measure the protein content.

At RimPing near the airport, they sell almond powder for 235 baht pr 500 g bags. That gives about 20-25 grams of protein, pr 100 g serving, I guess. I simply mix the powder with water, then drink it. I take one or two servings pr day. For sure much more expensive than protein powder, if you think costwise only in terms of protein, but this also has many other nutritional benefits. I guess quite a lot of calories (around 700-900?) pr 100 g, from healthy fat etc. And I believe it also contains some minerals etc, like magnesium.

Also, I eat perhaps 6 raw eggs pr day (organic eggs). Put 2-3 eggs in a glass, then swallow. Done in ten seconds, and actually no big deal once I got used to it. I barely get any vomiting reflex from doing this, anymore! Haha. And if I do, I just laugh about it! It is just a conditioned response, due to some idea about raw eggs not being a comfortable thing to have in the mouth etc. I believe quickly swallowing some raw eggs provides much better nutritional value than any highly processed proteinpowder, from genetically manipulated soya or from cows on hormones fed GMO foods etc. After a workout, I drink a bottle of raw goat milk or goat whey.

Couple of steamed or BBQ chicken breast gives you approx 40g protein- is more than enough after a workout. Ebay Thailand has a few suppliers of protein drinks and bars from BKK- more cost effective than prices in CMai especially if buy in bulk. Some guys from the old stadium gym near Chan Puak (The 20bt per session gym) sell 99% protein powder and anything else u may need. Negoitate prices right down from their first offer, as we are Farang after all. They do not speak English however...

:whistling:

raw eggs are mighty food. It's good to eat the yolk raw because heating them oxidizes the fats(similar to trans fat). Interestingly the white which is high in protein is only 50% of its amino acids bioavailable raw and around 90% if cooked.

Wiki Egg

Another factor with raw egg whites is that Avidin(heat sensitive) is a biotin binding protein. The yolk is rich in Biotin(B3). For higher absorption of biotin some people alternate the whites one day and yolks the next if eaten raw. I usually just lightly cook the white and eat the raw yolk in a smoothie. Raw yolks are really delicious. Raw whites are like eating snot.

That liquid Goat whey is pretty sour funky taste. Probably healthy because it has live enzymes and not damaged by heat.

Baan Suan Pak store used to have some great free range duck eggs but haven't seem them lately. The duck egg has a nice rich taste.

Good to see I am not the only one who is open to unusual dietary practices :-)

I tried the duck eggs before, as well. Good stuff!

"Interestingly the white which is high in protein is only 50% of its amino acids bioavailable raw and around 90% if cooked."

That could be a concern for me, but actually, aren't many people expressing the opposite? At least that is my impression...

Sawasdee Khrup, Brother and Sister Primate Eaters of Gallus Gallus embryos au naturel,

Khun CobraSnakeNecktie wrote:

Interestingly the white which is high in protein is only 50% of its amino acids bioavailable raw and around 90% if cooked. ... snip ... The yolk is rich in Biotin(B3).

To which Khun Andreas84 replied:

That could be a concern for me, but actually, aren't many people expressing the opposite? At least that is my impression...

Raw egg-white does contain a Biotin (Vitamin B7, not B3) binding protein, Avidin, which simply means that if you eat the whole raw egg you lose most of the biotin in the yolk. There are rare cases of human pathologic reactions to Biotin defiency correlated with consumption of large amounts of egg-white. But Biotin is very common in many foods, the bacteria in the gut produce a lot of it, and it is also "recycled" many times before being excreted from the body.

Here's an excerpt from one scientific review: http://emedicine.med...984803-overview

Biotin was first recognized as an essential nutrient factor in mammals in 1936. Ten years earlier, the inclusion of large amounts of raw egg whites in experimental diets in rats had produced symptoms of toxicity within a few weeks of the diet being initiated. In 1926, Boas referred to these symptoms of toxicity as egg-white injury syndrome.1 The major findings included severe dermatitis, loss of hair, and lack of muscular coordination. Boas also noted that yeast, liver, and several other foodstuffs contained a substance that protected rats from egg-white injury syndrome. Later, the protective compound in the foodstuffs was identified as biotin. Biotinidase deficiency was discovered in 1982.The biochemical basis for egg-white injury syndrome was quickly elucidated when raw egg whites were found to contain the glycoprotein avidin, which has a remarkable affinity for biotin. Once a biotin-avidin complex forms, the bond is essentially irreversible; the biotin-avidin complex is not broken during passage of the food bolus through the stomach and intestines. As a result, biotin is not liberated from food, and the biotin-avidin complex is lost in the feces. The final step in solving the mystery of egg-white injury syndrome was the demonstration that the syndrome could be prevented by heating the egg whites, a process that denatures avidin and destroys its affinity for biotin.

It's interesting to note that the hormone progesterone is what stimulates the production of Avidin in the white of the egg. Other studies claim egg-white can produce a trypsin inhibiting component. You can also find talking-heads-with-websistes who will tell you that the egg-white, like the human placenta, has estrogen, and people that will claim that raw egg-white is just dandy for you.

If you really want to get particular about only eating the yolk, you probably also want to avoid eating the sac that surrounds the yolk as well. Nimble fingers required to drain the sac.

Of more concern to many people is the sheer amount of cholesterol in the yolk (possibly contributing to heart disease); a large egg can have more than 200 mg. of cholesterol in the yolk. In the past "recommended" levels of cholesterol have been 300 mg. per day or less. But, in this area, there is a lot of controversy, and you can now find "scientific" studies suggesting that eating the whole egg helps neutralize any "bad" cholesterol in the yolk.

Our personal decision, for what that's worth, is to eat the yolks raw, but slightly cook the whites, but we are eating, at most, around six eggs a week; it probably hardly matters.

If you are in good shape, not sick, not weak from surgery or major-illness, you do not have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes, do not have a baseline cholesterol profile with a significant "bad cholesterol" profile, or heart-disease, and exercising regularly aerobically and anaerobically, you can probably scarf a couple of dozen eggs a week, cooked or raw, in any way you like with no danger other than boredom, or certain dark thoughts about the fact that the tube the egg comes rolling down from in the chicken is a cloaca (a combination anus and ovipositor).

The one slight risk is salmonella poisoning from raw egg, but this is now considered extremely rare (on the order of one in every 39,000 eggs); however, there have been outbreaks of salmonella poisoning in certain countries at certain times related to raw egg consumption. Some people rigorously inspect their raw eggs to make sure they have a firm gel white, some folks believe in rolling their raw eggs and rejecting them if they don't wobble, some float them in cool salt water and if they float reject them; some believe if the yolk bursts easily the egg's a bad 'un ... and so on.

Happy embryo eating !

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

good post Orang !

One thing to point out is that while the yolk possesses cholesterol and fats the heating of them converts them into a more damaging state by oxidation, enzyme destruction etc.

It has been postulated that raw yolks undamaged fats and cholesterol are good for the body.

Only further science can sort this out I suppose but I came to your same conclusion. Lightly cook the white and eat the yolk raw. Raw yolks taste really good also.

I used to use 3 or so eggs, one egg yolk. Mix with skimmed milk (can be dont from powdered milk). Add a banana (vit K plus slow release carbs). Add vanilla essence. Touch of cinnamon. Blob of honey. Maybe a dash of soy protein powder. Job done.  I used to call it an eggnog. dam_n good. Trying to lose my muscle now!... <BR><BR>Oh and forget the steroids.. just pop a few paracetamol before a workout. no pain lots of gain!

Oh.. and wheatgerm pancakes. wheatgerm is pretty dam_n good!

Tuna Tuna Tuna. (Unenvironmentally friendly - but its true! - It's the bloody best!)

Edited by whiterussian

Raw egg-white does contain a Biotin (Vitamin B7, not B3) binding protein, Avidin, which simply means that if you eat the whole raw egg you lose most of the biotin in the yolk.

I think I do not quite understand this sentence. You mean that due to Avidin, which binds both the biotin in the yolk, AND the biotion in the gut/from other foods, one can potentially get biotin-deficiency by eating too much egg white? Or what exactly does Biotin-binding mean - that the biotin is transported out of the body without being utilized? Is it necessary, then, too eat the Yolk and the White at different times, in order to utilize the biotin?

I always eat both the white and the yolk. I know some people claim it gives too much cholesterol. But as far as I understand, there is not necessarily any relation between the amount of cholesterol consumed by food, and the amount of cholesterol in the blood. At least I have eaten about 5 eggs daily for 2-3 years now, and my cholesterol levels have been checked several times in this period, and they are perfectly normal.

Good post, by the way!

May i add my two cents. I powerlift every week. You should try City Gym in Chiang Mai, its near the Chang Puak Police Station. 1 Kilogram is about 750 baht its for bulking though. Tanon Potaram. Near the AIDS orphans house.

... I think I do not quite understand this sentence. You mean that due to Avidin, which binds both the biotin in the yolk, AND the biotion in the gut/from other foods, one can potentially get biotin-deficiency by eating too much egg white? Or what exactly does Biotin-binding mean - that the biotin is transported out of the body without being utilized? Is it necessary, then, too eat the Yolk and the White at different times, in order to utilize the biotin? ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Andreas84,

The only reasonable inference we can draw from the scientific study linked to in the post from us you refer to is that when you eat a raw egg(s) whole, the avidin-biotin binding that occurs results in the passage of both avidin and biotin through the human gut without the body absorbing either.

To determine the potential result of eating raw egg-white at one time, and the yolk at another: we don't have a clue. To hypothesize about that: we'd guess that you'd need to know something about the length of time of digestion of egg-white, and the yolk, and at what point they might interact (in the stomach ? in the upper intestinal system ?).

The study cited mentioned yeast and liver and other foodstuffs protected the mice from biotin deficiency; to us that suggests an inference that avidin in egg-white specifically binds to biotin in egg yolk : but note there's some "wiggle-room" there for asking the question: were the mice fed liver/yeast at the same time as they were fed egg-white.

Very good questions ! It would be cool to know if you eat a bunch of raw yolks before exercise, and eat a bunch of raw-egg-white a few hours later, if the body gets the benefit of both.

Re your mention of cholesterol: there's so much conflicting theory and research about cholesterol now, it seems hard for us to get a handle on it all. For certain, some people have genetic profiles in which the "negative" cholesterol is quite elevated and they are at more risk of heart-disease. Our vote is for regular aerobic and anaerobic exercise, and enjoy the quality of life, and increased mental energy and vigor, that brings on :)

best, ~o:37;