Udon Thani To Chaing Mai

chris7070

At the moment all flights have been canceld do to low request. You can check latter and hope.

Thanks for that .whats the bus journey like and how long ?is it possible to get private mini bus ,what price and any quicker?? Regards Chris7070

I thought about doing the bus thing from udon to chiang mai 2 years ago.If you go into the forum on

udonmap,you'll read bad stories about the buses.I couldn't find mini buses making regular runs there.

I ended up taking nok air to bangkok,and then taking it to chiang mai.There was some cost,but I

think I made out better than taking the bus.

At the moment all flights have been canceld do to low request. You can check latter and hope.

Hi Chris

On http://www.nokmini.com/main/index.php?page=main&sw=english they are writing:

"This route will be resume soon !!

For more information, please kindly contact our

call center at 053-280444"

Think in the main season they will take off again.

I used it in February to visit the "Flower Festival" of Chiang Mai. Flight and service was ok.

Would do it again.

Markus

Hi Chris

On http://www.nokmini.c...main&sw=english they are writing:

I used it in February to visit the "Flower Festival" of Chiang Mai. Flight and service was ok.

Would do it again.

Markus

Hi Chris

On http://www.nokmini.c...main&sw=english they are writing:

Would do it again.

Markus

Many Thanks , Markus.

Nok mini was doing the CM/Udon route using 2 Saab 340 aircraft leased form an aussie company. The lease ran out and the aussie company refused to renew the lease, apparently because of fears for their aircraft, due to the unrest in Thailand. I have done the bus trip - it takes 12 hours and is not for the faint-hearted. This route and the Kon Kaen/CM route have never been a success financially and in the 20 years odd I have been here in CM several airlines have tried it and given up very quickly. I think the Udon/BKK/CM option is your best bet. Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris,

For what it's worth....

I have lived in Chiangmai (CM) for a few years now and I go to Nong Khai often (just to the north of Udon).

I have always taken the bus from CM to Udon and back. I've done this at least dozen times now.

The bus leaves Udon in the evening (7 or 8 PM) and arrives in CM early in the morning (6 or 7 AM). If you going in December dress warmly (long pants, a light jacket).

The cost is about 700 baht. I would suggest you buy your ticket in advance (early in the morning or the previous day) to avoid being turned away.

I've never had a bad experience on the bus. It's a long bus ride sure, but I sleep.

Again for what it's worth, I'm about 6' foot tall and close to 200 lbs. And while the seating is not as comfortable as laying on the couch, I don't have a problem with it.

The people I have met on the bus (all Thai) are either absolutely quiet or very pleasant.

The bus does make a couple stop overs (Loei, Lamphun, Lampang, ?) but you never have to change buses.

The bus usually makes one stop along the way for you to stretch your legs, have smoke, go to the toilet (btw - there is a toilet on the bus) and some food (there is some food/drink included in the price of the ticket).

I don't know of any flights from Udon direct to CM. If you must fly I believe you're limited to a Udon to BKK to CM route.

IMHO the bus is a great value and (knock on wood) I've never had a bad experience.

Best wishes for a good holiday

Edited by chiangmaiman99