Community Protest Against Drilling In The Gulf Of Siam

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well SE it is obvious you could do with a little discipline so why not join a service and also you'll get your teeth done for free. But how embarassing should you be rejected ? :whistling:

Believe it or not, In my youth, I was a member of the OTC (Officiers Training Corps). All set to go to Sandhurst.....

That was 1968. The Summer Of Love. Then I discovered sex and drugs and rock and roll and resigned. My dad was furious:lol:

This whole issue is such a load of crap. No one will stop it if it means cash for the Thai economy. Really, you people should stop wasting your time with useless billboards and leaflets. It's gonna happen. Get used to it and move on. Find another useless cause to waste your time on.:annoyed:

:D Well that settles it ! When Crusty campaigns for Governor his running mates will be Screaming Eagle and Carmine with Seven Hills as Ombudsman. Make your votes earlier, earlier !

Honored to run along side two such esteemed gentlemen. :thumbsup:

An oil spill would probably improve the water condition along Bangrak.

Hey guys....just wanted to add my 2 pennies...just thinking if they can get 35,000 people holding hands around the island would it not be a better idea to ask everyone to bring a black bin bag?. i mean collecting 35,000 black bin bags of trash will be a bigger achievement than complaining about something they know little about...It has disappointed me tremendously this last week listening to people i respect comparing the proposed gas rig to the Deep water horizon...Although i dont want a rig near samui i know as long as i keep driving my car i need that rig....so its the lesser of two evils... drilling for low pressure gas at 30-40m rather than drilling for high pressure oil at 1.5 KM...??? whats less dangerous?

The gulf of thailand has 195 existing rigs.....1 more will make such a big difference? i dont think so....

Has anyone noticed the run off from the over flowing sewers in Maenam when there is a storm??....that does more damage than a Gas rig which comes with a large no fishing exclusion zone.... this i believe is the real reason why people are opposing....some powerful people control the fishing industry and for me in my experience the fishermen are some of the big polluters are killers of marine life around samui....

Mr Snakehips,

Would it not be a better suggestion to speak to the authorities and ask them to , for example, supply "bins" to the beaches so that people actually have something to throw their rubbish in. I have no wish to hold hands with other grown men or anyone else for that matter.

Whilst this is taking place you would then have to address the issue of generation after generation of Thai litter bug mentality.

Would it not be a better suggestion to speak to the authorities and ask them to , for example, supply "bins" to the beaches so that people actually have something to throw their rubbish in.

The problem is not beach litterbugs - it's the boats dumping their wholesale rubbish overboard. Except for Haad Rin's FMP aftermath, this is mostly what you see washed up on the coral reefs and beaches.

Hey guys....just wanted to add my 2 pennies...just thinking if they can get 35,000 people holding hands around the island would it not be a better idea to ask everyone to bring a black bin bag?.

When I lived 50m from the beach at Bangrak (next to Sloaneys), I would take a plastic bag with me whenever I went down to the beach and toss a frisbee to the pooch. While he was running and swimming, I would pick up the trash. I'm amazed how many toothbrushes find their way to the beach after a storm. Keeping a beach clean can be a lot of work but very rewarding when you can look out over a clean one instead of all that crap.

Seems the main argument for drilling is;

the government getting money.

and the second is;

we can't change our habits so we need ALL the oil.

third is;

it will happen anyway and it's a waste of time.

Then again.

http://therealnews.com/t2/component/seyret/?task=videodirectlink&id=7170

Deep wells are harder to plug in a catastrophe, but more area to disperse the leak and the toxic dispersant.

But low depth drilling conversely means less sea to disperse the toxicity and it hits the sea bed that much faster.

My issue is ecosystem destruction in already fragile ecosystems here.

Been diving here and have seen it.

Edited by animatic

and the second is;

You mean habits like buying anything that has plastic in it? Petroleum is used in the manufacture of more things than people realise. I read somewhere that 20% of a barrel goes towards fuel. Just google "petroleum products" for a long list.

and the second is;

You mean habits like buying anything that has plastic in it? Petroleum is used in the manufacture of more things than people realise. I read somewhere that 20% of a barrel goes towards fuel. Just google "petroleum products" for a long list.

Until there is a viable alternative to using oil, we will continue to drill for it and use it. Trying to stop drilling is a waste of time. Much better to campaign for alternative energy technologies. And as for the local government spending their time campaigning against the drilling. they would do much better improving the infrastucture on Samui.:annoyed:

Well, there is a gathering in Nathon today, Samuians who own land and running businesses connected to the tourism industry are concerned, especially because of

the "deep water horizon" oil spill in the gulf of Mexico and they are certainly not wrong, if anything happens and an oil spill occurs threatening Samui's beaches...and coastal waters... many depend on fishing, water sports. And right now the islander get an idea what it means if there are no or very few tourists.

Sure we do need the oil, even the electricity for Samui is generated with the of Oil... but in the case of deep horizon there was some problem with safety measures...

During March and early April, several platform workers and supervisors expressed concerns with well control. At approximately 9:45 p.m. CDT on 20 April 2010, methane gas from the well, under high pressure, shot all the way up and out of the drill column, expanded onto the platform, and then ignited and exploded.[25][28] Fire then engulfed the platform.[29] Most of the workers were evacuated by lifeboats or were airlifted out by helicopter,[30] but eleven workers were never found despite a three-day Coast Guard search operation, and are presumed to have died in the explosion.[31] Efforts by multiple ships to douse the flames were unsuccessful. After burning for approximately 36 hours, the Deepwater Horizon sank on the morning of 22 April 2010.[32]

On the afternoon of 22 April, a large oil slick began to spread at the former rig site.[

Source:

Edited by Samuian

and the second is;

I have a natural fiber shopping bag or two,

and try to limit all plastic purchases, use Thai green markets.

And reuse any plastic we don't have a choice about getting...

The problem is petrolium is more cost effective to make plastics from,

there are alternatives, but until we decide their are worth the cost,

Big Oil rules our lives.

Here are two articles of the two major English speaking papers in Thailand. The [Link Removed] article is very informative and explains how a legal court battle is in the making and actually may have a chance of walking away with victory, The Nation's article is just a report of the demo on Samui.

Here are some pictures that I took yesterday.

Edited by Lite Beer
Bangkok Post link removed as per forum rules. Lite Beer

Here are two articles of the two major English speaking papers in Thailand. The [Link Removed] article is very informative and explains how a legal court battle is in the making and actually may have a chance of walking away with victory, The Nation's article is just a report of the demo on Samui.

" [Link Removed] " is obviously the Bangkok Post. Why are we taking news feeds from a <deleted> newspaper like the Nation????:angry:

Looking at the photos, there doesn't seem to be many people at the demonstation. Couldn't the organisers afford to bribe more locals to turn up!!!:whistling:

Edited by screamingeagle

" [Link Removed] " is obviously the Bangkok Post. Why are we taking news feeds from a <deleted> newspaper like the Nation????:angry:

Looking at the photos, there doesn't seem to be many people at the demonstation. Couldn't the organisers afford to bribe more locals to turn up!!!:whistling:

Couple of Photos and your mind is made up that no one turned up eh?

I must say that there seems to be considerably more people

attending the demo and objecting to the drilling than the oil apologists on the forum! :o

Anyway SE has the 'Nation' now joined 'Samui Express' in your exalted list of dislikes? :rolleyes:

attending the demo and objecting to the drilling than the oil apologists on the forum! :o

Anyway SE has the 'Nation' now joined 'Samui Express' in your exalted list of dislikes? :rolleyes:

Numbers a protest doth not make, half of them were kids !

Well I suppose that they will be the ones left long after we have jumped off the mortal coil. So I reckon they are entitled to

protest as well. :D

I think I figured out who Big C really is.

What a difference a disaster can make; wakes all the NIMBY's up.

I worked out of Samui last year on exploration projects for one of the principals at the center of this 'news' story and the fishermen were the most cooperative we have seen for a while. Hugely successful project thanks to the cooperation from the local Governors offices and local community liaison people that had been working with my Clients team, taking almost 10 months to draw up the Environmental Impact Assessment that was approved by the relevant department of the Thai government.

Apart from the excellent chaps at Thai Immigration that helped expedite our offshore crew changes so efficiently through Nathon or the check-in staff at Bangkok Airways, how many of the participants in this 'protest', or Chaweng beach jet-skiers or Koh Phangan stoners Full Mooners noted our presence last autumn? Anyone.... anyone...???

PS. Crusty, your data shot in 1970 was sh!te. Glad I didn't have to pay for that!

I worked out of Samui last year on exploration projects for one of the principals at the center of this 'news' story and the fishermen were the most cooperative we have seen for a while. Hugely successful project thanks to the cooperation from the local Governors offices and local community liaison people that had been working with my Clients team, taking almost 10 months to draw up the Environmental Impact Assessment that was approved by the relevant department of the Thai government.

Apart from the excellent chaps at Thai Immigration that helped expedite our offshore crew changes so efficiently through Nathon or the check-in staff at Bangkok Airways, how many of the participants in this 'protest', or Chaweng beach jet-skiers or Koh Phangan stoners Full Mooners noted our presence last autumn? Anyone.... anyone...???

PS. Crusty, your data shot in 1970 was sh!te. Glad I didn't have to pay for that!

I could use a rig Job close to home! :)

I could use a rig Job close to home! :)

So easily bought...:P

If you need a medic I might be available.....have to check my busy diary though.....:whistling:

:( Probably because we were among the first to use digital recording and you were too backward to interpret it !

:) But I did like the rest of your post

I can't say one way or the other how safe the rigs are, but I do know for a fact that mercury levels in the Gulf are of a major concern and that the rigs are required to address this issue. However, given the lax state of regulation enforcement in Thailand I wonder how much enforcement actually occurs.

But I also know that one of the greatest threats to the fisheries has been seriously illegal overfishing by fishing trawlers out of the mainland.