Vfw Fourth Of July Event - Refunds?

mesquite

Back in the 60's I was with my outfit in Vietnam and we were ambushed. Fortunately, we fought back and got the job done. I had no idea that years later I'd be ambushed right in friendly Chiang Mai, Thailand!

Many of us paid our money then left because of the outrageously long food line. Good job to those who made out in this swindle, but I for one would like my money back. Has the VFW or Duke's set up some kind of refund policy?

What a miserable attitude :realangry:.

It seems as if a refund was given to those who simply turned round and left when they saw the line so if you felt strongly enough to use the word "swindle" you should have taken the same initiative yesterday. Whatever the issues of the day, lots of people worked hard to stage the event and to imply wrongdoing is out of order wherever you fought and whatever "job you got done".

Edited by Greenside

It seems as if a refund was given to those who simply turned round and left when they saw the line so if you felt strongly enough to use the word "swindle" you should have taken the same initiative yesterday. Whatever the issues of the day, lots of people worked hard to stage the event and to imply wrongdoing is out of order wherever you fought and whatever "job you got done".

Well said. It appears that refunds were given out quite readily. Talking of swindles is absolute rubbish.

Edited by twofortheroad

Well said. It appears that refunds were given out quite readily. Talking of swindles is absolute rubbish.

If refunds were given as readlily as you imply maybe there was poor planning if the lines were that long.

Edited by harrry

A long line in indicative of a process that does not work.<BR><BR>The process does not work because someone has not used the prior years of hosting this event to fix the same faults from the  previous years<BR><BR>Just hosting an event is not being responsible to the patrons<BR><BR>They all deserve a happy and stress free day for the money they are paying

If refunds were given as readlily as you imply maybe there was poor planning if the lines were that long.

Sir, I must respectfully disagree that there was poor planning.

For months, the VFW held their monthly meetings at Duke's restaurant. Later these meetings turned into event planning meetings, still held at Duke's. It was there that they hatched their scheme which included having only Duke's supply the food.

If you will look at one of the advance tickets, you'll notice that it does not even have the location of the event written on it! Why not? Because they didn't care if the advance ticket purchasers showed up or not! They already had their money! And then when people did show up, the line was so long that many people left. One TV poster wrote that there were not supposed to be any lines, implying it should have been done Thai style. Hard to believe 1700 people are supposed to crowd around a serving table.

Some say refunds were given to those who complained, but if that was the case, why was it done in secret? Was there a PA announcement about refunds as the lines got longer? "Ladies and gentlemen, due to the excessively long lines, anyone who does not wish to stay and has not yet eaten, will receive a refund on their way out." No, it did not happen.

Poor planning. Oh no. They planned for months, set their trap, and we fell into it.

Edited by mesquite

It's plain that something went wrong and that the planning was lacking as far as correcting the long food wait was concerned - why not read the other thread?

We ought not to be doing this to death - it wasn't perfect:

Some people stood in line, got their food and had a good time in the end

Some people couldn't face the wait, left at once and asked for a refund which appears to have been given with good grace

At least one person left, presumably not straight away, didn't ask for a refund and wrote a rather mean spirited post

It was just a party and I really think that despite the shortcomings most people enjoyed themselves enough to justify the cost of entry.

Can someone close this thread?

A long line in indicative of a process that does not work.<BR><BR>The process does not work because someone has not used the prior years of hosting this event to fix the same faults from the  previous years<BR><BR>Just hosting an event is not being responsible to the patrons<BR><BR>They all deserve a happy and stress free day for the money they are paying

Please check your PMs.

I was there early, and was surprised to find myself in a single-file stroll through full airport security. I considered that a nuisance, and probably unnecessary, but what can you do?

No one ever checked my passport, although several people handled my camera.

I then waited over an hour in line and reached the serving area to discover there was NO pork barbeque and a wait for a hamburger. I took that in stride, and settled for chicken, which was good.

Imagine my surprise to discover that I then had to go stand in another line to buy a Coke, which was double-priced.

I spent 390 baht for some cole slaw, two chicken legs, cold onion rings and a Coke.

As I ate, I got to listen to some guy bellowing at the hapless people in the serving lines to hurry up and not be greedy, as some hadn't had a chance to eat.

From what I could observe, no one would have been able to go back for seconds, as there hadn't been time enough for anyone to have gone through and eaten.

To say this was a poorly planned event would be a kindness.

It was a debacle.

I don't think anyone intended a "swindle," nor did I detect any hint of malfeasance. It was just an abysmal job of coordinating and planning.

A young woman ahead of me in the drink line asked me how long it had taken me to get my food, and I told her.

She commented on how poorly the lines were being handled, and in all innocence I suggested perhaps it was because no one had tried the event in CM before.

She shot me a weary glance and said, "Oh no. It's like this every year."

That being the case, I think it might be best to complain loudly until the people responsible either hand off the job, or rethink the way they're doing it.

post-91669-077347100 1278339230_thumb.jp