Carrying Out 5 New Iphones Out Of Thailand.. Any Problems At The Airport Regards To Tax Or Whatever?

Hi,<br><br>I am taking 5 new iphones back to my country. Can I get into trouble at the airport? They will be placed in my luggage with my clothes and not a single item will be hand carried. In my previous experience, I have never been asked to open to check the luggage but I want to make sure this time. Thanks for your advice guys.. Thanks!<br><br>Kind regards<br>Crystal<br>

• Like 1

You can claim the VAT back at BKK, but I don't think there'll be much profit in it! (Assuming you're talking about 4g)

If you get caught IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY, you'll pay tax.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

I wouldn't think customs here would be concerned about a few phones. I'm sure they see tons of them on the scanners which were bought here and in Lao. If it were me I'd pack 'em and spit. Of course I could be wrong. I'm not a customs officer but I play one on TV.<br>

You can claim the VAT back at BKK, but I don't think there'll be much profit in it! (Assuming you're talking about 4g)

If you get caught IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY, you'll pay tax.

RAZZ

If the home country is the US then anything brought in not exceeding $10,000 in value need not be declared. Just don't declare anything.

Yes, I will put them in the luggage because my home country always has issue with new things from oversea and the custom there is worse than a thief. There is a chance like 5% of getting stolen, but there is a greater chance of bribing to custom. I am putting em in the luggage and hoping that I will not be asked to show at my home country airport.. Oh I am packing expert to prevent!! Thanks guys!!

Edited by crystal8

So you've spent over 100,000 baht on 5 i-phones and you want to put them in your checked in baggage.

That is like waving a red rag to a bull.

At least hand carry 2 or 3 of them to lessen the risk of them being stolen en route.

no problem at all with customs, but it is travelling 101 that you never pack valuables in your luggage as there is a very high chance of theft at any airport in the world.

I don't know where you get your number of 5% from, but even if this is an accurate figure (probably much too high), I would think that a much higher percentage of luggage containing valuable is being pilfered than the average. In other words, airport thieves won't bother to pilfer luggage that contains only worn underwear and a shaving kit, but go straight for the tagged baggage that contains the good stuff. How'd they know that? Well...

So, you may take your chances with this one. You're also taking your chances with believing that your customs officeers will only use your hand luggage ("We couldn't find any contraband because they put it in their checked baggage! I wish we were legally allowed to search all baggage including body cavities" - "Oh wait, we are! Let's start with this guy with the shifty eyes.").

Check your destination's legal limits. Maybe you can get everything in without paying too much and without committing an illegal act.

*** EDIT *** Sorry, it appears that I quoted the wrong post :unsure: Should be clear which one I meant

Edited by orosee

So you've spent over 100,000 baht on 5 i-phones and you want to put them in your checked in baggage.

That is like waving a red rag to a bull.

At least hand carry 2 or 3 of them to lessen the risk of them being stolen en route.

More likely5 fake i-phones of the 1,800bht each variety, but as a tourist paid 4,000bht each.