Overstay 1 Day.... Info, Update.

HI

From Chiang Mai

My brother will be going back to Canada on July # 9 but his stamp is only good to July # 8. I have read and heard many different tales... 200 Baht fine or the Thai Immigration at Bangkok airport will let it pass.

Either way its ok, 200 Baht is a lot less of a hassle then doing a visa run.

Its a very early fight in the morning so its going to be less then 5 hours overstay.

Just one question - Should he go to immigration here in Chiang Mai and tell them this first, show his plane ticket, would that be more proper, would they grant one extra day just for a real reason like this or just show up at the airport in Bangkok.

Thanks

for the overstay by 1 day info.

Thanks George.

But is there any option for him not to have that overstay stamp in his passport without doing a visa run and not paying 1900 Baht for extending. Would going to immigration ahead of time like I noted with his plane ticket or would that just be a waste of time.

The reason being, will this overstay stamp cause any problems for him in the future say if he would want to get a Non-Immigrant visa for a long stay.

He is have a wonderfull time here and paying 1900 Baht to extend even just for a day is not a problem.

Thank you

Thanks George.

But is there any option for him not to have that overstay stamp in his passport without doing a visa run and not paying 1900 Baht for extending.  Would going to immigration ahead of time like I noted with his plane ticket or would that just be a waste of time.

The reason being, will this overstay stamp cause any problems for him in the future say if he would want to get a Non-Immigrant visa for a long stay.

He is have a wonderfull time here and paying 1900 Baht to extend even just for a day is not a problem.

Thank you

In sentence one you say no to payment of 1,900 baht but in last sentence it seems to be ok. Yes. Go to immigration and extend stay. That is the safe road.

To George:

He entered on a Non Immigrant "O" but that ran out, did a run to Mai Sai earlier this month for his 30 day stamp.

So just the 30 day stamp on arrival.

For Lopburi3:

You are right about my reply, I should have noted that he's a real cheapie most of the time, just trying to save younger bro some money so I don't have to here about it, but I told him 10 times to re-book his plane ticket weeks ago, so thats what he gets.

Thank guys.

Hi

I overstayed my visa by 4 days due to illness and not being able to get to renew it,

got to the airport and got taken to an office. They stamped my passport with an overstay, that was 3 years ago travelled back many times with no problem, cant remember what the fine was, was a bit more than i thought it would be.

Like george says it is illegal and if you get caught before you get to the airport you will be in trouble.

yeah...it is illegal and if you get caught before you get to the airport you will be in trouble.

However I knew one guy who overstayed about god knows how long....long time and simply went to the airport and at immigration cooly suggested that he might owe them some money since he "not too sure".

Even immigration were a bit confused since although it was about 3 -4 years the entry date/admission looked about right (just the wrong year)

Anyway he handed over the 20,000 bt max got stamped out and went home.....all smiles and no problem.

He has since been back many times... :o

I told him 10 times to re-book his plane ticket weeks ago, so thats what he gets.

he should try and change his departure date with the airlines.

depart 1 or 2 days before july 9th, or make it another week later or so when seats are available, and get an extension.

Thanks for the replies again guys.

Just still wondering if anyone has gone to immigration "before" there stamp is finished, showed proof why 1 extra day would be needed and out of courtesy from immigration got it.

Tommorow I will go with him to the immigration ( Only because he's asking for just 1 day, if it was 2 days forget it!) maybe he will get lucky if not, nothing lost.

I will post the result.

Jesus. Why are so many people being anal on this?

For those who say he MUST get a 1900B extension, you have far too much money and or imagination. Why the ###### should he pay 1900B just to spend an extra hour or two groundside?

Thaidan - If its an early morning flight tell your bro to get early to the airport and cross as soon as poss after midnight if not just before. He can then have a nap in the airport lounge or drink in the bars or shop or whatever.

Even then a couple of hours is not going to be a problem. I have known lots of people who have done this and none of them have even paid an overstay fee.