Backpacking Riddle

So 3 guys are backpacking across Europe and they decided to stay at a cheap hotel that costs 30 Euros per night. They split the cost evenly by paying 10 Euros each, and then they head off to their room.

"Oh no!" Said the cashier. "That room was only 25 Euros. Bellboy, please take back these 5 Euros to their room."

On the way there, the bellboy doesn't know how to split up the 5 Euros between the 3 guys, so he decided to take 2 Euros and give 1 Euro back to each guy.

So each guy paid 9 Euros instead of the original 10. 9 times 3 is 27, plus the 2 Euros that the bellboy took...that's 29 Euros.

WHERE IS THE MISSING EURO??

(stole this riddle from thailandfriends.com from a couple days ago)

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I'm just having a hard time believing that backpackers would spend 30 euros on a room.

If my own experience is anything to go by, the backpackers would have contacted a prime establishment for luxury accommodation and then asked for a discount simply on the basis of "because I'm a backpacker" :blink:

So each guy paid 9 Euros instead of the original 10. 9 times 3 is 27, plus the 2 Euros that the bellboy took...that's 29 Euros. For what???

WHERE IS THE MISSING EURO??

The trick is the misleading statement they paid 29 Euros for the room and what the bellboy took, when the only paid 27, by using a 'plus' instead of 'minus' in the statement to fool you to think they paid 29 Euros all together, instead of 25 Euros for the room.

9 times 3 is 27 (what they paid overall). minus 2 Euros the bellboy took, is 25 Euros for the room.

Edited by BB1950

• 2 weeks later...