Iphone

ricklev

I just got a used iphone 3g from the USA. Can anyone recommend a specific shop at MBK or elsewhere to get it unlocked and I guess jailbroken. Any other suggestions for me regarding the phone. I don't really know anything about them.

I see that True has a 5 gig limit on their 3g for customers who didn't buy the phone from them. Is that a reasonable amount? Any other ideas for service/sim?

Thanks for your advice!

I don't know about mbk but its easy enough to do by yourself.

Go to settings, general, about and it will will tell you your software version.

Then just google "jailbreak 3.x.x." replacing the x with your version and follow the walk through.

Once jailbroken download ultrasnow from cydia (jailbreaks app store) and its unlocked.

Try Wave Phone, 4th Floor, MBK Centre. Tel - Kung 0867555599 or Chai - 0813431500. Very good service, doesn't take long to get done so you can wait there. I had mine done last weekend and I'm very happy with the service I recieved.<BR>I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I noticed many stalls now advertising unlocking but many just take them to this place by the looks of things. They will also add lots of stuff for you when they jailbreak the phone.<BR>Enjoy!

Try Wave Phone, 4th Floor, MBK Centre. Tel - Kung 0867555599 or Chai - 0813431500. Very good service, doesn't take long to get done so you can wait there. I had mine done last weekend and I'm very happy with the service I recieved.<BR>I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I noticed many stalls now advertising unlocking but many just take them to this place by the looks of things. They will also add lots of stuff for you when they jailbreak the phone.<BR>Enjoy!

Excellent! How much did they charge?

<BR>
<BR>Try Wave Phone, 4th Floor, MBK Centre. Tel - Kung 0867555599 or Chai - 0813431500. Very good service, doesn't take long to get done so you can wait there. I had mine done last weekend and I'm very happy with the service I recieved.<BR>I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I noticed many stalls now advertising unlocking but many just take them to this place by the looks of things. They will also add lots of stuff for you when they jailbreak the phone.<BR>Enjoy!<BR>
<BR><BR>Excellent!  How much did they charge?<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>Only B500 for the unlock, she did the jailbreak for free. As far as I'm aware jailbreaking the phone does not unlock the phone from the original network carrier. It only unlocks the software so you don't have to use iTunes for everything.<BR>I considered having a go at doing it myself but then decided that the value of the handset vs B500 was not worth the risk of me doing it wrong and screwing things up.

Not quite, you need to jailbreak in order to modify the iPhone. That means you must first jailbreak in order to unlock. It is very easy to do yourself but at least 500 baht isn't too bad. If mbk was charging higher I would offer the service myself. But they are cheap enough to cut me out of the equation.

it couldn't be easier to do it yourself, go to sinfuliphone.com and follow the instructions. it will be done in 10 minutes, free. and unlocking means you can use any sim, jailbreaking means you can install applications not from apple. i use the unlimited data plan with AIS for 999 THB a month. True does limit you, AIS does not.

it couldn't be easier to do it yourself, go to sinfuliphone.com and follow the instructions. it will be done in 10 minutes, free. and unlocking means you can use any sim, jailbreaking means you can install applications not from apple. i use the unlimited data plan with AIS for 999 THB a month. True does limit you, AIS does not.

HI

You pay to much, tell them you want the BB plan, 650 baht look at the web site, and they dont want to see if you have a BB

HI

You pay to much, tell them you want the BB plan, 650 baht look at the web site, and they dont want to see if you have a BB

BB plan? Can you explain a little more please?

I get unlimited internet for 650 a month on DTAC, is this the same?

Hi

I never lie :rolleyes: i just told them i would like a BB plan for me and my GF and now its 650 Baht a month. I had true before, crap where i live in Phuket and a lot of other places thats why i changed to AIS, AIS DTAC TRUE all the big ones have some good deals its just a nightmare to see whats best.

And yes its the same unlimited plan Dtac and AIS have (i think)BB= BlackBerry

Innerspace, thanks for the links. I might try it myself.

If you need any advice on doing it yourself then message me with the exact model number of your software. (Settings->General->about->version)

You can always upgrade the software at the time of jailbreaking but be warned - upgrading a jailbroken iphone through itunes will lose the jailbreak and unlock.

You can of course re-jailbreak but it often takes a while before a jailbreak is released for new software versions.

I am currently running ios4 jailbroken and unlocked on a 3g - I was able to enable multitasking and some other features not officially available on the 3g, but it has come with a hit in performance and battery life.

3.1.2 was much more reliable in my opinion.

If you happened to be in Pattaya I could help for the price of a few changs.

Thanks innerspace! I think the phone was restored to factory settings and upgraded with the new OS. I'm still waiting on its arrival from the USA.

I think I'll just take it to MBK and see how that works out......

Edited by ricklev