Renewing & British Passport Here

I have a quandry i am hoping some of you good people can help me with advice wise.

Here goes:

My current British Passport is due to expire in mid April 2006, i currently hold a one year multiple entry type O within my expiring Passport, not only that but i now have only two unused pages left within my current passport, which will be taken up with my next two visa runs!

Here is the problem,

Although i will be returning to the UK around xmas which is just within the expiry date of my current non O Visa, i will only be back in England for around two weeks over the xmas & new year period, which will make it almost impossible to get a new passport & consequently get a new year visa during the short time frame i will be back in England!

If i go to the British Embassy in Bangkok and apply & obtain for a new passport before i return to the UK at Xmas will the visa currently in my present passport be rendered useless, meaning i will have to do 30 day visa runs for my remaining period in the kingdom before returning to England where i can apply for a new Multiple O Visa before heading back here to Los early January 2006.

Is it possible my existing visa can transferred into the new passport by Thai Immigration/the relevant Embassy.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thank you in advance!

Thanks again folks!

I notice the fee for a 32 page British passport in Bangkok is baht 5175, how does that compare to the Uk Then Briley any idea?

By the way Mr Denner i will be expecting a note from your parents on your return to the bar explaining your absence today, if you do not show with one expect a detention!!!!! :o:D:D

I assume the handling of the UK passport is the same as the US one. I renewed my passport twice since I have been here. When you receive the new one from the embassy they will punch holes in the old one indicating no longer valid. They will then supply you with a letter that you take to immigration and get into the queue for new passports and they will transfer the visa stamp and if 1-year extension, transfer this also. Very painless, took me about 20 minutes with no questions asked. Oh yes, you have to fill out a form at immigration for the transfer request.

Tywais,

I am not saying you are wrong just that my experience was different.

I did not get a letter from the Brit embassy, my passport did not have holes punched in it and I did not have to fill out a form at immigration.

But apart from that I agree with you, it was painless .

Tywais,

I am not saying you are wrong just that my experience was different.

I did not get a letter from the Brit embassy, my passport did not have holes punched in it and I did not have to fill out a form at immigration.

But apart from that I agree with you, it was  painless  .

Interesting. Just had mine renewed in March and asked about the letter at the Consulate but wasn't necessary, they automatically supply it. Immigration knew what it was and took it from me. Just assumed the same must apply to all passport renewals, and I know I should never assume anything in Thailand :D But without the holes invalidating the passport you would have two valid passports which would seem to be a security issue? At Chiangmai immigration there was a queue window and signin book specifically for passport renewals. After signing in they supplied me with the form.

Is this some kind of double standard, UK vs US :o:D

Any way you look at it up2ubar, you don't need to worry...

Edited by tywais

Once again fella's,

Thank you very much for all your advice & sharing of your knowledge/experiences.

It really is very much appreciated, & i certainly feel much easier about the whole situation now thats for sure.

Regards

Dave

Thanks again folks!

I notice the fee for a 32 page British passport in Bangkok is baht 5175, how does that compare to the Uk Then Briley any idea?

By the way Mr Denner i will be expecting a note from your parents on your return to the bar explaining your absence today, if you do not show with one expect a detention!!!!!  :o  :D  :D

Ive just got back from the UK applied for a 48 page passport while i was there cost 54.50 got it back in 8 days. . .new O visa from Hull took 3 days including the posting both ways.

• 1 month later...
i will only be back in England for around two weeks over the xmas & new year period, which will make it almost impossible to get a new passport & consequently get a new year visa during the short time frame i will be back in England!

Thank you in advance!

I realise your back in the UK over the Christams period but dont forget you can use the express passport service at either Peterborough or Newport ( i think...check their website) it cost about 90 quid. you ring them the day before.....you go the next day for your appointment and get your new passport that day.

had to do this a few times when booking last minute holidays with no passport to be found anywhere! :o

I renewed my British passport a couple of months ago.

Got it posted to me.

They cut the corner off the old one.

Remember to take the reciept from the embassy to immigration when you renew your visa. I forgot the first time and they stamped my old one.