Aussie Travel Warning Downplayed By Deputy Pm

george

Travel warning downplayed by deputy PM

BANGKOK: -- An Australian government warning to avoid non-essential travel in the restive South was routine and should not be played up, Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Wannasathit said yesterday.

Australia was simply protecting its interests, Pol Gen Chidchai said.

On Wednesday Canberra warned Australians travelling to Thailand to avoid all non-essential travel to Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla provinces, including overland travel through the region to and from Malaysia.

It also warned that the violence could spread. ``While so far the violence has been limited to southern Thailand, the escalation of violence in the South may result in attacks elsewhere in Thailand, including Bangkok and other areas,'' the travel warning said.

Washington has also reiterated a warning that US citizens should avoid non-essential travel to the four provinces.

Pol Gen Chidchai was speaking after chairing the first meeting of a 32-member panel on the development of the three southernmost provinces, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat.

He said the members, all from the Thai Rak Thai party, agreed with the measures being implemented to resolve the problems in the deep South but thought things needed to be speeded up.

In downtown Yala, a police informant was shot dead by motorcycle gunmen yesterday.

Panas Sri-on was shot seven times in the head and back near a market at about 7am and died on the spot. Police blamed insurgents for his death.

In Songkhla, a fake bomb was found in a phone booth opposite Sabai Yoi public hospital at about 6.30am. A bomb squad found it contained only bits of paper and a handwritten letter in Thai stating ``This is my land. Keep out''.

Fourth Army commander Kwanchart Klaharn yesterday met Islamic religious leaders to discuss the unrest and seek their cooperation.

Abdulbasi Jaema, deputy chairman of Yala Islamic Committee, said religious leaders were willing to cooperate with authorities to douse the southern fire.

Lt-Gen Kwanchart said he would take into account suggestions from Islamic leaders before mapping out further plans to end the unrest.

--Bangkok Post 2005-07-01

On Wednesday Canberra warned Australians travelling to Thailand to avoid all non-essential travel to Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla provinces, including overland travel through the region to and from Malaysia.

to each his own, but again for safety reason, holiday makers should by pass this region. But to include Malaysia as one of the region is too much. :o

to each his own, but again for safety reason, holiday makers should by pass this region. But to include Malaysia as one of the region is too much. :o

The way that i read this is Malasia is not included, it simply states that travelling through the affected regions (Thai side of border) to and from malasia should be avoided, not Malasia itself. Although personaly if i never see Penang again i would not be unhappy about it :D

Im in "Southern Thailand", it all looks fine from here!

I get sick of how they disect Thailand into 3 parts, North, Central and South. Phuket to Pattani takes about 4.5 hours to drive, so why cant they come up with a better term than this.

Has anyone here noticed in the BKK Post when a headline reports yet another single, heinous act committed by the less desirable elements of our dear and troubled South, there is included in the article actually about six other equally atrocious attacks committed that are each worthy of their own headlines? I've noticed this to be the case on a consistently daily basis.

I don't like to read normal news too much it depresses me, hence my question:

What exactly is the problem in the 'deep' South?

Obviously there is unrest and violence but why? I never seem to hear of reasons for the problems. Why are people dying and why aren't the papers talking about solutions to the problem?