Newbe’s Just Come And Go.

kwiz117

To Thai Visa admins.

I have observed that many newbe's just come and go by posting one or two replies. Specially slamming some one else's views.

My thinking is that some members here do it on purpose to protect their own identity in this website.

Specially in situation to slam one or two members and by doing this they can easily bypass your rules in this forum. So what's the point of having a setof rules and allowing a way to bypass it easily?

Is it possible to Track this and idenify who are these people who have so many dummy names coming from the same IP address?

What do you think?

kwiz

Guest IT Manager

I agree... to name a couple geezer and gfunkt. Obviously the one person, just as obviously brain dead, also that person in the internet forum last night blah blahing about his knowledge and just frightened of being recognised and flamed for dumbness.

I agree with Kwiz. Do IP check and work it that way.

I agree with Kwiz. Do IP check and work it that way.

what? a dialup connection gives you a dynamic IP <which most users are using in thailand>. a cookie installed after signup with restrictive settings on a computer at an internet cafe isn't recommended either. there isn't a way to stop someone from getting another account. have the admin delete any accounts manually with offensive messages.

The current main moderators of this forum is dr_pat_pong and I.

We also have some additional moderators taking care of various forum branches.

Effective from today, we are joined by "######" as a admin moderator for some of the forum branches.

We thank all the old all new moderators for helping the admins with the work load to keep this boad up and running.

And thanks to all members for making this the leading Expat community forum of Thailand.

Cheers,

George & Dr_pat_pong

admins

Is it possible to Track this and idenify who are these people who have so many dummy names coming from the same IP address?

Good idea Kwiz , if they have the views they should have the conviction to back them up. I have suspected many of these posters were just one time trolls , but some are just too much of a coincidence.

:o

Guest IT Manager
Very good question,Very good,,How you going to stop the smartass that uses an internet shop to do all this funny stuff that the brain dead is doing??

Most multiple personality posters use the same IP to do multiple posts IMHO. That means 3 or 4 posts from the same IP address over a period should be able to raise a flag.

What do you think about that George?

If you believe that there are people willing to create a new alias purely in order to "flame" someone who's contributing to a current thread, why not introduce a waiting period between the time when a new name is registered and time when that name can actually be used to forward postings. I'm sure I've read that something similar to this happens on the "Pattaya Pages" forum. I think on that site you need to wait for 4 or 5 days before being allowed to post.

On this forum, it takes no more than about 10 minutes to set up a bogus Hotmail account, register a new alias on this site and then activate the account by going straight back into Hotmail.

If you believe that there are people willing to create a new alias purely in order to "flame" someone who's contributing to a current thread, why not introduce a waiting period between the time when a new name is registered and time when that name can actually be used to forward postings. I'm sure I've read that something similar to this happens on the "Pattaya Pages" forum. I think on that site you need to wait for 4 or 5 days before being allowed to post.

On this forum, it takes no more than about 10 minutes to set up a bogus Hotmail account, register a new alias on this site and then activate the account by going straight back into Hotmail.

We are looking into this issue, and have assigned more people to reassure that we can keep this place clean from idiots and spammers, without having to censur it.

Guest IT Manager

I think that is what I am keen to see. the news group for thailand was effectively sabotaged by two men, and I have to say in all honesty, had I the power to do so, I would ban them the instant either of them appeared.

The newsgroup was like a sand box gone mad. Here while most posters are intelligent and thought provoking, the members of the newsgroup eventually gave up and it was like these two nasty little kids, both in their 60's, misbehaving, on their own with their mummies gone shopping.

Now and then I stick my head in there to see what they are doing, just for a snide giggle, and I think how good it was 3 years ago and longer.

I will have to agree,to much censorship will definately ruin it, sometimes we gonna get a little off subject,but some of it is a lot of fun,flameing and being downright nasty should be stopped,but then like was posted somewhere else if you don't like it don't read it and if someone is to bad do not read anything they post,when you see their name ,scroll right on by,I do and it works for me, and I ain't to awful smart,but you do have some real idiots on here. so if you have one of them in your sights and they continue to screw up,shoot em, and don't just delete the post delete the member.

One more thing.

Why not place a limit on the number of words which can be posted. The recent (and initially very interesting) thread entitled "ruling out the foreigner" degenerated into a farce thanks to a few individuals who spoiled everything by posting very long, very boring and totally irrelevant replies.

Similarly, the thread about the British "farang" arrested at Don Muang airport with all those ecstasy pills has gone down the drain for the same reasons.

Most of the replies posted to this forum are interesting and worth reading. Others are just way too long, stupid and unreadable.

Guest IT Manager

Dave that specific idea, would IMHO bring the board down to the level of soc.culture.that.

I would also suggest that the longest and most boring and the most informative, came from the people who make this a place to enjoy each others info-shares.

Unforunately I am unaware of a method of taking posts with long words and making it possible for the member who finds them challenging, to just not see them. I will keep an eye out though Dave so if I see something I will flag it in mauve, so when you see a post with a mauve sort of colour, just drive right on by.

Perhaps if you just stick with the Jokes Thread, maybe a simple way around it Dave

Unforunately I am unaware of a method of taking posts with long words and making it possible for the member who finds them challenging, to just not see them. I will keep an eye out though Dave so if I see something I will flag it in mauve, so when you see a post with a mauve sort of colour, just drive right on by.

My original comment was about the length of postings and not the length of words.

Many of your previous posts were good. I was particularly moved by your comments about the "meaning of love".

Why the the new found sarcasm?

Guest IT Manager
My original comment was about the length of postings and not the length of words.

Many of your previous posts were good. I was particularly moved by your comments about the "meaning of love".

Why the the new found sarcasm?

Sorry Python, Dave et al, it was very childish to go with the sarcasm. I thought you were trolling again, with your note about post length and boredom factor. Also I agree about you discussing post length not word length. I find some of the longer posts, even one or two of yours, to be quite good.

My wife was talking the other day about time online here, and how someone had said it was a waste of time. She pointed out that if I was in the pub or somewhere, I would be having convrsations like this so whats the difference. You get onto a subject, you discuss it, you move on. face to face of face to keyboard end product is the same but I don't go to the pub now.

I am just getting used to it.

but I don't go to the pub now.

Dear Mr ######, I notice you have removed the posting rights of my dear friends California Dave, Reverend Lionel Mycroft and Python Lee Jackson.

Clearly you are succeeding in your new job as forum administrator, but where does that leave an aspiring young troll like myself?

Whatever, you replied to one of my posts a few ago saying that you live in Chiang Mai and enjoy the occasional piece of Doggie Yang.

Whoever you are, I wish you well. I also believe that you are never too old to go to the pub.