Five Murders In Phuket In June

webfact

Five murders in Phuket in June

phuket-1-qUCQdju.jpg

Orange methamphetamine tablets used to spell out the name of the drug, ya bah, in Thai language. File photo.

PHUKET: -- June proved a murderous month for Phuket as a wave of violent crime swept across the island with five murders and 14 cases of manslaughter being reported, according to the latest crime statistics released by the Phuket Provincial Police.

Among the unsolved cases is that of the murder of bar hostess Wanphen Pienjai, 33, whose naked body was discovered stuffed into a suitcase in a remote area in Wichit on the morning of June 24.

Ms Wanphen was last seen alive when she left Sweethearts Bar in Kata with a brown-bearded, blue-eyed foreigner on June 18.

For the previous report with composite sketches of the man Ms Wanphen left the bar with click HERE

Despite a 50,000-baht reward for clues, police have yet to make an arrest in the case.

At least one ‘person of interest’ was cleared after his picture was shown to staff at the bar, who said he did not resemble the man Ms Wanphen left the bar with.

Police have asked the media not to report other leads case officers are working on in order not to jeopardize the investigation.

The five murders this June more than doubled the figure from June 2009, when two cases were reported.

There were a total of 45 murders reported on the island in 2009, an average of 3.75 per month.

In other crimes resulting in death, there were nine arrests in 14 reported cases of manslaughter, the same number of cases as in June last year.

There were also 14 cases of assault reported, with nine arrests.

There were 35 reported cases of theft with 27 arrests during the period, and four cases of motorbike theft reported with arrests in all cases.

Eight reports of theft led to just one arrest, while there were no arrests in 16 reported cases of embezzlement.

Gambling was up 25% year-on-year, with 160 people arrested in 60 cases, along with 33 people arrested in 31 cases involving the illegal lotteries.

Once again drugs topped the arrest statistics, with 397 people arrested for illegal possession or sale of controlled drugs in 374 drug cases.

Police reported the seizure of precisely 8,389.5 ya bah (methamphetamine pills), 94.7 grams of ya Ice (crystal methamphetamine), 3.8 kilos of dried marijuana, 8 grams of fresh marijuana, 460 leaves of indigenous krathom (Mitragyna speciosa), 100 bottles of cough syrup, five Ecstasy pills, 1.2 grams of heroin and 600 milligrams of cocaine.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-07-13

If I remember right, cough syrup has ephedrine, which is used to make those little pills that spell out the word in the picture. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't really know if cough syrup does have it or not, I never buy the stuff. But I know I can't buy Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride in it's pure form here in Thailand. It has to be combined with another drug in tablets so it can't be used to make Yah Ba. In my state in the USA (California), I can and do buy it, but your must present your state DL or ID to do so and then it is swiped into the computer system. It's normally used, as I use it, as a nasal decongestant...

But almost a murder a week here in 2009, and 5 in June alone, is a bit out of hand. Maybe the police should do something besides set up check points for fining people without helmets? Oh that's right they get to keep 35% of the traffic fines, I guess they don't get any money to arrest murders...unsure.gif

If I remember right, cough syrup has ephedrine, which is used to make those little pills that spell out the word in the picture. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't really know if cough syrup does have it or not, I never buy the stuff. But I know I can't buy Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride in it's pure form here in Thailand. It has to be combined with another drug in tablets so it can't be used to make Yah Ba. In my state in the USA (California), I can and do buy it, but your must present your state DL or ID to do so and then it is swiped into the computer system. It's normally used, as I use it, as a nasal decongestant...

But almost a murder a week here in 2009, and 5 in June alone, is a bit out of hand. Maybe the police should do something besides set up check points for fining people without helmets? Oh that's right they get to keep 35% of the traffic fines, I guess they don't get any money to arrest murders...unsure.gif

pure effidrine is sold in hospital pharmacys on prescription only. several caugh syrups contain it as do some allergitablets, both sold in any pharmacy.

some caugh syrups contain morphin, and I guess thats the goal here

pure effidrine is sold in hospital pharmacys on prescription only. several caugh syrups contain it as do some allergitablets, both sold in any pharmacy.

I know codeine and therefore morphine is and has been used as a very effective cough suppressant. And I can see adding a decongestant to the mix, but I'm not sure why it's illegal to posses it. Are you saying you can buy cough syrup at the local pharmacy containing morphine? I may have to try it the next time I get a cough!

Good grief! I've no time for 'bar hostesses' at all - but how deficient in human emotions do you have to be to think about the cough syrup offences rather than the woman who was murdered??!

Am I missing something here?

Good grief! I've no time for 'bar hostesses' at all - but how deficient in human emotions do you have to be to think about the cough syrup offences rather than the woman who was murdered??!

Am I missing something here?

I think you are missing something here: there were five murders in a month, but only one murder was suspected to be possibly by a farang... So, indeed let's focus on that as it was the only one to get a reward posted by the BIB's. That was the only murder that matters to you, as was not committed by a Thai? Plus there are different threads about that crime. This article had the crime report year to date. No one seems to care about the farangs that are murdered or seriously injured here in a robbery attempts and rapes over the past several years. I do feel for the loss of her life as well, but as I said there are other threads on going about that... Here's one you can post your condolences on: http://www.thaivisa....ated-in-phuket/

What about his crime against another Thai woman:

PHUKET: -- Phuket City Police held a press conference on Wednesday to announce the arrest of a Wichit man arrested for raping a young woman at gunpoint and then stealing her computer.

The suspect was identified as Phuket resident Wuttikrai 'Nueng' Prasopsorn, aged 25.

On the night of June 29, the victim reported that a man entered her rented room with a gun and raped her. The rapist then stole the victim's laptop computer before leaving the room.

What about the almost one murder a week in all of 2009? They don't matter either? Because we choose to discuss something other than you do, we are wrong for doing so?

There is way too much crime and murder on this island to focus only on one very unfortunate soul. Sorry that I am so unsensitive to your sensibilities...

My mini rant is now over. Back to you...

I know codeine and therefore morphine is and has been used as a very effective cough suppressant. And I can see adding a decongestant to the mix, but I'm not sure why it's illegal to posses it. Are you saying you can buy cough syrup at the local pharmacy containing morphine? I may have to try it the next time I get a cough!

containing morphine, its only sold at hospital pharmacies on prescription. Illegal to have one without prescription, not to say 100.

Police have asked the media not to report other leads case officers are working on in order not to jeopardize the investigation

I may be being a bit simplistic here but surely if the police, like most police in the world, were to keep details of their investigation confidential there would be no need for requests like this.

But then they'd likely catch the criminals and that may prove embarrasing.