I Am A Foreigner Wanting To Investing In Real Estate In Thailand

Hi - I would like to invest in real estate in thailand (as a froeginer)

Purpose of investment is to generate rental income on a short term and sell the porpoerty after it appriciates significantly.

Please suggest do's and dont's !!

Also

What kind of budget should i look at to start small ?

What cities/areas should I concentrate on ? (would like to play safe with the frist investment)

Is it easy to rent out a good property to a company ?

What % of Returns should I expect ?

What period of lease do tenants usually prefer for comercial ? residential props ?

How is the market now ? is this a good time to buy ?

If I go for Condos - can I own a 100% or still would end up ownig 49 % of Condos - btw for Condos - is the builder a 51% thai owner ? can one trust these buliders ?

Are there laws that protect the Foregin Invstor as a 49% owner ?

Does the 49% owner have the right to sell or rent the prop to who so ever he wnat ? also does he have to share the profits generated by Sale or Rent of his investmen with the 51% thai owner ?

Could you please recomend a good broker ? or an estate Agent company ? that has exoerience working with Foreginers

I am open to any other thoughts or comments on the subject

Thanks

Regards

Samy

I suggest that you go through the real estate forum read it thoroughly, and many of your questions will be answered.

You will probably have some new ones too.

Briefly though:-

You can own a condominium unit 100%, and you are legally safeguarded as such. Therefore you don't need a Thai partner to own that unit, so long as no more than 49% of the units (including yours) within that project have been sold to foreigners.

Residential leases tend to be 1 year

Commercial leases for 3 years

Returns vary depending upon price bracket, units size etc. 5-10% (net) is possible (although they tend towards 6-8%)

Read up on locations, walk the streets, talk to people. You'll discover what's popular. In Bangkok it boils down to having good access to BTS/MRT

The market is what you make of it, because good properties in good locations always tend to do well.

I know someone who is looking at a building in Ratchadapisek; a Thai claimed that he bought it at 2,000 million Baht; Through another contact, it was found that the building was for sale at 1,200 million Baht lol

it's a 36 floor building with 141 units; 21 units are with some government agencies and 10 in the hands of private owners. Structure is 95% finished but requires interior decoration.

Not sure whether it is a good buy at today's situation;

the breakdown is 1 -10 floor - commercial11- 26 - office27 - 36 - residential

site is about 44k sqm

And be aware that farangs are first in line to scam you. Just because you are from the same part of the world doesn't mean diddly.

Many brokers position themselves as "a civilized bloke who takes care of his countrymen so the evil thais won't scam you out" only to be the scammer in the first place. Many properties have beeen built without landownership, permits and what not and the sellers just walk away when shit go bad. Leaving the customers with a shitpile of a demolished house they need to pay to get removed from the plot or else.

Do the math on rents and you will see that most often it will be your grandchildren that will reap the benefits of all your work in renting houses. If the houses hasnt rotted away during those 30 years that is.

If you choose to build new you will need to know what you are building and be on site like a hawk to supervise everyting. You will need to become an armchair engineer or hire an independet contractor that does the supering for you.

Land titles, land ownership, not getting a burst bubble in landspeculations and so on are also headaches that need to be solved.

And be aware that farangs are first in line to scam you. Just because you are from the same part of the world doesn't mean diddly.

Many brokers position themselves as "a civilized bloke who takes care of his countrymen so the evil thais won't scam you out" only to be the scammer in the first place. Many properties have beeen built without landownership, permits and what not and the sellers just walk away when shit go bad. Leaving the customers with a shitpile of a demolished house they need to pay to get removed from the plot or else.

Do the math on rents and you will see that most often it will be your grandchildren that will reap the benefits of all your work in renting houses. If the houses hasnt rotted away during those 30 years that is.

If you choose to build new you will need to know what you are building and be on site like a hawk to supervise everyting. You will need to become an armchair engineer or hire an independet contractor that does the supering for you.

Land titles, land ownership, not getting a burst bubble in landspeculations and so on are also headaches that need to be solved.

@ glomp: useless post...

@ india: I have informed myself regarding condos. My original plan was to buy 2 condos here earlier this year and rent out. Fact is: as a foreigner you CAN buy a condo in your own name - no need for a Thai partner and no need to set up a company. The catch is: every condo project has a "quota" of condos it may sell to foreigners. Max. 49% of the entire project (or was it condos?) can be owned by foreigners, the remaining 51% for - yes, you guessed it - Thai nationals.

You can rent to anybody you want to - short term or long term and you can sell any time you want to. The only real issue you will have when you sell is: whether you can sell to either a foreigner or a Thai - or only to a Thai? This will depend on the quote of foreign owned condos at that particular time (maybe the law will have changed my then...).

Obviously the prices vary depending on where you want to buy, city/town, sea view/no sea view, proximity to beach/public transport, etc.

Personally, and I want to emphasize here that I am no expert on this topic, it alarms me to see the number of houses and condos "for sale" or "for rent" - sometimes for many, many months on the market without buyers or tennants AND more houses and condos still being built. I just cannot help but think that the property market here might have reached its peak.

Consider going to a reputable sales agent. If you decide to invest in Hua Hin, pm me and I will put you in contact with a good, reliable property agent.

I suggest that you go through the real estate forum read it thoroughly, and many of your questions will be answered.

You can own a condominium unit 100%, and you are legally safeguarded as such. Therefore you don't need a Thai partner to own that unit, so long as no more than 49% of the units (including yours) within that project have been sold to foreigners.

Returns vary depending upon price bracket, units size etc. 5-10% (net) is possible (although they tend towards 6-8%)

Read up on locations, walk the streets, talk to people. You'll discover what's popular. In Bangkok it boils down to having good access to BTS/MRT

The market is what you make of it, because good properties in good locations always tend to do well.

Thanks for the reply ot he post - where can I find a authentic Real estate forum ?

Can you please fwd me a Link ?

Thanks for the reply ot he post - where can I find a authentic Real estate forum ?

The real estate forum on Thavisia is here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/59-real-estate-housing-house-and-land-ownership/

You are operating on the wrong forum.

The real estate forum on Thavisia is here

http://www.thaivisa....land-ownership/

You are operating on the wrong forum.

Thanks ... I will shift the post to the revelant forum

You already received enough to make up your mind - That is: Don't look for investments through a public webforum! Come visit here, find a local partner, appoint a representative etc. etc. You would be foolish to act on anythink you received via a public website. It may give you some input, but choose your sources of info. careful.

I would recommend Africa if you want to invest in real estate - but you may want to invest here for other reasons than ROI - If you are not looking to maximize your ROI then go to Africa.

You already received enough to make up your mind - That is: Don't look for investments through a public webforum! Come visit here, find a local partner, appoint a representative etc. etc. You would be foolish to act on anythink you received via a public website. It may give you some input, but choose your sources of info. careful.

I would recommend Africa if you want to invest in real estate - but you may want to invest here for other reasons than ROI - If you are not looking to maximize your ROI then go to Africa.

Would you simply just go away please.

You are about 4 years late if you are looking for significant appreciation. You will only get appreciation when priced in gold.

@ glomp: useless post...

@ india: I have informed myself regarding condos. My original plan was to buy 2 condos here earlier this year and rent out. Fact is: as a foreigner you CAN buy a condo in your own name - no need for a Thai partner and no need to set up a company. The catch is: every condo project has a "quota" of condos it may sell to foreigners. Max. 49% of the entire project (or was it condos?) can be owned by foreigners, the remaining 51% for - yes, you guessed it - Thai nationals.

You can rent to anybody you want to - short term or long term and you can sell any time you want to. The only real issue you will have when you sell is: whether you can sell to either a foreigner or a Thai - or only to a Thai? This will depend on the quote of foreign owned condos at that particular time (maybe the law will have changed my then...).

Obviously the prices vary depending on where you want to buy, city/town, sea view/no sea view, proximity to beach/public transport, etc.

Personally, and I want to emphasize here that I am no expert on this topic, it alarms me to see the number of houses and condos "for sale" or "for rent" - sometimes for many, many months on the market without buyers or tennants AND more houses and condos still being built. I just cannot help but think that the property market here might have reached its peak.

Consider going to a reputable sales agent. If you decide to invest in Hua Hin, pm me and I will put you in contact with a good, reliable property agent.

Hi

Need Western style Wireless Alarm Systems give me a call got some in stock .

Click the link below for my add on Baht & Sold.

http://www.bahtsold....il.php?id=32823

Have German and English systems in stock,

Andre might be good but very expensive.

All our systems come with a full 1 year warranty. no mess with cables.

Why buy at top prices we can do it for a lot less.

We will travel from south to the North of Thaialnd to fit your required system,

Get this at no extra costs.

Get a quote from an Alarm Company first and we will deduct at least 30% off that given price.

Regards Bob