Toronto - Bangkok

engrin

I am familiar with using Air Canada (AC) to get to BKK from YYZ. They fly to Tokyo (NRT) or Hong Kong (HKG) using new Boeing 777s and it is a nice ride. From there you change planes and fly to BKK with one of their Star Alliance partners. Recently AC stopped offering connecting flights on Thai Airways and ANA and even stopped offering HKG as a transit point . I am not sure of the reason for this. The only offer now is United. I haven't flown with United before. If you use a booking site like Orbitz they will sell you the journey combining different airlines, I don't know much about this other than read all the fine print first.

United recently had a sale on flights from YYZ-BKK for only $920 return including tax. AC had a sale on at the same time for $1100 and I guess United wanted to undercut them. The travel dates were until early December so it may not have worked for you but my point is that they do sometimes have sales so it might be worth it to sign up for email notice of promotions with AC and United, or whichever airline you like.

Because it is so far the most important thing to me is the length of the journey. If you use United from YYZ you have to fly to Chicago first then on to NRT, then to BKK. Unless you are getting a great deal or are really watching the budget I would not do this. I would only book a one stop flight, 2 planes, no more. Be careful if you are looking at the AC website as many of the flights to NRT stop in Calgary or Vancouver on the way and you want to avoid that for sure.

Even if your mother doesn't travel much she should join the frequent flyer club of whichever airline you choose. The amount of aeroplan miles that YYZ-BKK earns is almost enough for a return ticket from BKK to many destinations in Asia. She can use the miles to buy a ticket for someone else also. With aeroplan the miles have more value in Asia because they don't add fuel surcharges or other fees. If nothing else she might get a gift cert or something with the miles when she returns to Canada.

I fly that route a couple times a year. Here are the best options

YYZ- YVR on WJ or AC and then grab either the China Airlines or EVA Airlines flight from YVR to Bangkok via TPE. The downside is that the flights leave YVR at 1-2 AM YVR time, which means mom is going to be 1/2 dead.

However, you are in luck, and I mean luck. EVA just introduced a YYZ-TPE- BKK route. The plus side? Depart YYZ at 11pm so mom can go right to sleep on the plane and a nice 15 hours later she can be frisky in the TPE terminal. No need to worry about rushing since the connections in TPE are between 2-4 hours, so no coronary while racing from gates wing B to C. It's late but not too late. She beats the mad rush. She can show up at YYZ at 8:30 and have a stress free checkin.

You can probably score a deal on a roundtrip with EVA. The departure from BKK works best if she takes the mid day flight. I always liked that flight.

Due to my work schedule I usually take a star Alliance flight via Japan BKK-NRT-YYZ and then on to my connection. the there are a couple flights in the morning, UA, ANA, and always late - losing luggage TG. ANA, is a tight connection, so I end up on the 6:30 AM UA flight. It gives a nice connection time, otherwise, your mom is going to be totally stressed from trying to get through the massive security line when she transfers terminals in NRT.

Whatever you do, avoid any connections via the USA. The delays in Chicago, the long hike between terminals and the downright hostility of US agents encourages me to book via anywhere but there. In December, Chicago and LAX are war zones. Avoid Chicago whenever possible. Another option is to come back via Geneva or Zurich, or even Frankfurt. AC. Swiss and Lufthansa all have good conections. Sometimes , I connect in Switzerland for work. This is usually more expensive than the other routes though.

If possible try out EVA. The fares are competitive and they will help the elderly unlike the nasty miserable folks at AC. And if you can avoid the transfer in YVR, avoid it, because your mother will have to lug her bags through customs and drop them off on the transfer baggage belt and no one will help her. Besides, Canada Customs in YVR are as nasty as the Americans in LAX. Pearson is more user friendly.

Thanks for the post geriatrickid. :)

Cathay and EVA seem to be the best airlines, although the highest priced. Both come out to around $1800 CAD inc taxes.

Will the prices come down between now and December?