Where To Fix Toshiba Satelitte Laptop

lukeskywalker

Does anyone out there have any experience with a business in CM that knows about Toshiba Satellite laptop's? Or, if not, know about laptops in general? Mine will no longer power up. The green light on power bar (power cord) is on, but no power is getting to, or the laptop is not taking in power. Hence, a dead and expensive laptop.

So, just looking for some experienced help.

Thanks.

• Like 1

There is a shop in the north west corner on the third floor in Pantip plaza that might be able to help you.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Which side is the north west? Would that be under the Mexican food place basically?

I have a toshiba satellite and had a problem like that before and it was the power cord the little square block was shot the light remained on but it would not power up so I bought a new one from Pantip Plaza top floor accessorie shop 800 baht I think, it worked in the shop took it home same problem took the thing back and changed it to the 3 prong plug and JOB DONE worked fine

Also if that dont work I bought my 2nd Satellite toshiba from Pantip 2nd floor and they fix them there but I would check your power cord first

There is a shop in the north west corner on the third floor in Pantip plaza that might be able to help you.

Which side is the north west? Would that be under the Mexican food place basically?

Apologies if you have tried this already....

check fuse in the plug...obvious I know.

The battery might be dead. So... If possible get another Toshiba power supply and try that first, it might just be that has blown and not the laptop.

I have a Toshiba and the power supply transformer gets red hot. Yours could have died. I also notice that the power supply socket on the laptop can be a bit flakey and you have to make sure the plug is fully seated in the hole.

I hope its not the P.C. - best of luck

Edited by lonewolf99

Third floor. The far right corner when you enter the building.

Third floor. The far right corner when you enter the building.

Try taking the battery out and see if it will power up.

Tried all the tricks in the book. No luck.

I guess you tried refitting the ram too.

Tried. No luck. Took out the extra ram and just tried the onboard ram, still no joy. The power box that is with the power cord isn't heating up....I'm assuming that's bcuz the laptop isn't pulling any amps through it on the way to the laptop because there is something wrong w/the laptop (or the box) I get a spark when I plug the 3 prong into an outlet so I know the box is pulling something (plus the green light is on). But the laptop isn't charging at all.

We'll see what Pantip has to say, will definitely try a new power cord first.

Try taking the battery out and see if it will power up.

Tried all the tricks in the book. No luck.

I guess you tried refitting the ram too.

Tried. No luck. Took out the extra ram and just tried the onboard ram, still no joy. The power box that is with the power cord isn't heating up....I'm assuming that's bcuz the laptop isn't pulling any amps through it on the way to the laptop because there is something wrong w/the laptop (or the box) I get a spark when I plug the 3 prong into an outlet so I know the box is pulling something (plus the green light is on). But the laptop isn't charging at all.

We'll see what Pantip has to say, will definitely try a new power cord first.

EXACTLY what happened to mine and I changed the power box part of the cord Job done

The battery might be dead. So... If possible get another Toshiba power supply and try that first, it might just be that has blown and not the laptop.

I have a Toshiba and the power supply transformer gets red hot. Yours could have died. I also notice that the power supply socket on the laptop can be a bit flakey and you have to make sure the plug is fully seated in the hole.

Have tried many outlets already.

What battery are u talking about? If ur talking about the laptop battery, i think the light would still show charging, but it also has a light that shows when it's receiving outlet power. All are black. Is there a CMOS battery in these laptops? It's about 4 years old, maybe that went out and could be the problem? I've removed the battery and still nothing even though it should still run. BOTTOM LINE: It is NOT receiving power at all.

Have tried many outlets already.

What battery are u talking about? If ur talking about the laptop battery, i think the light would still show charging, but it also has a light that shows when it's receiving outlet power. All are black. Is there a CMOS battery in these laptops? It's about 4 years old, maybe that went out and could be the problem? I've removed the battery and still nothing even though it should still run. BOTTOM LINE: It is NOT receiving power at all.

What you are saying is really identical to what happened to my old toshiba satellite, it was about 4 years old and computer would not start I too thought it was fked

Change the power cord

my power cord comes in 2 pieces one is the plug with a plastic thing that plugs into the black box that has the cord that plugs into the computer, its the black box that is fried by the sounds of it

check your cord really sounds like that's the problem

even if the battery is dead is should start up with the power cord plugged in I used mine for ages with a fried battery

Check the cord

By the way I was so happy with the Toshiba Satellite I bought the exact same brand from Pantip and Im still well happy with it handles the heat real well as most of the other Laptops I had fried in the heat of the tropics .

My old one is still working great too, gave it to my 10 year old son good solid laptop if anyone is looking to buy a new laptop

Edited by FarangCravings

Hit it with a hammer then buy an Asus. ;)

Seriously, my old Tosh lasted well. As others, try new power supply first... they'll probably even let you test a new one before you buy.

Edited by jackr

Hit it with a hammer then buy an Asus. ;)

Seriously, my old Tosh lasted well. As others, try new power supply first... they'll probably even let you test a new one before you buy.

haha...ironically..I'm using an ASUS laptop from work to send these messages, it's been a good laptop too.

On a side note, I had an Ipod 60GB that I thought had died on me. Well, I kept it and kept thinking one day I'll take it to Pantip (almost 2 years ago). Anyway, decided to Google "How to fix Ipod" and one of the ways was to hit the right side of it into your palm 4 or 5 times as the arm of the HD can get stuck. OMG! It automatically started working (of course by typing this is just broke again). So, if u have any type of iPod, don't give up on it. There were many websites dedicated to different ways of fixing them, including taking them apart (with video).

Going to Pantip tomorrow. Will report status afterwards.

Thanks for everyone's help.

My Sattelite motherboard went bad and had to be replaced. Sounds like yours is gone as well (if you can't power up without the battery plugged in) I went to Goodspeed in Comp. plaza (sic) and they directed me to an agent for Toshiba. I think it's SVK on one of the moat roads... sorry can't remember exactly where.

I took it in to the 3rd floor, northwest corner (one of the only shops remaining open on that floor) and he said he can fix for about 1500 baht. We tried a new powersupply. So I don't know, if it's the MB, then that's a lot more than 1500 but if he knows a trick to fix this problem for only 1500, then yea for me. I'll find out tomorrow (Monday).

Update: I went Monday to get, they said not ready but he showed me a small transistor on the MB that he was going to replace. I called today and I was steadying myself for bad news (i.e. "cannot fix") but he said "It's ready!".

So I'm now in a state of euphoria. It's too late today to go but will go tomorrow. Scotbeve, it could be just the guy u went to didn't know which transistor to replace.

I'll post tomorrow when I get it home and see it working with my own eyes, but the phone call was very encouraging!

Update: I went Monday to get, they said not ready but he showed me a small transistor on the MB that he was going to replace. I called today and I was steadying myself for bad news (i.e. "cannot fix") but he said "It's ready!".

So I'm now in a state of euphoria. It's too late today to go but will go tomorrow. Scotbeve, it could be just the guy u went to didn't know which transistor to replace.

I'll post tomorrow when I get it home and see it working with my own eyes, but the phone call was very encouraging!

Luke,

Mine was still under warranty so they wouldn't get into it at component level. They simply replaced the whole MB.

Praise Buddha! It's fixed!!!!

One thing I did not mention earlier was that I had already sent it to a Toshiba service center in BKK and they wanted to replace the MB for about 22,000. I was like "hells no". Can buy 2 new one's (though not same specs).

Anyway, after sitting with it in the closet for almost 2 years and haven almost forgotten about it, it's resurrected. This guy new exactly what tiny little resistor to replace, as I'm sure Thoshiba did to, but they would rather I buy a new MB of course.

So a big thanks to everyone, especially jayjay0 for sending me to that shop. I'm betting not all shops know which resistor to replace, and even if they do, "Need new MB".

Of all the times I've cursed this forum, this had made up for it all.

Thanks again everyone.

Luke Skywalker (no kin to Darth)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone! I have problem with my Toshiba Satellite laptop too. This is 2 1/2 years already.

It turns off or hungs up every 30 minutes. One of the IT technician told me it's because of overheat so i need to change the internal fan. And the other one told me that the memory chip(power) of the mother board is broken.

After reading this forum, it may be the power supply because the plug sparked and the black box is super hot.

Any ideas how to fix this??

Thanks a lot.