Thai PM Tells US Envoy General Election Can Be Held Early Next Year

webfact

Thai PM tells US envoy general election can be held early next year

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday briefed visiting United States under secretary of state for political affairs William Burns on Thailand's political situation and reaffirmed that a new general election can be held early next year if the national reconciliation plan yields results, according to Deputy Secretary-General to the Prime Minister Panithan Wattanayagorn.

Dr Panithan, acting government spokesman, said the premier has met with Mr Burns and discussed cooperation between the two countries including trade, investment and national security.

Mr Abhisit has briefed the US envoy regarding Thailand's situation and progress on the national reconciliation road map, said Dr Panitan.

The spokesman said the Thai premier assured Mr Burns that from early next year, a general election could be held if national reconciliation and reform plans are kept on the track and produce a concrete outcome.

Dr Panitan said Mr Abhisit also expressed his gratitude to the US after Congress voted 411-4 in early July to call on all parties in Thailand to work assiduously to settle their differences under the premier's five-point national reconciliation plan.

"The US has good understanding and always closely monitors the situation in Thailand. They shared common idea with the Thai government on the reconciliation plan. Today's meeting between Mr Abhisit and Mr Burns is only an exchange of general ideas on the situation here and political development," said Mr Panitan.

The prime minister also clarified the senior US envoy about the extension of state of emergency in Bangkok and other 18 provinces, saying that the enforcement is needed and in accordant with the law, he said.

Mr Panitan said the premier told Mr Burns that his government is now trying to reduce the Emergency Decree enforcement, but the law is maintained in some areas to facilitate operation of concerned officials to restore order and normalcy as soon as possible.

Meanwhile Mr Burns, the State Department's number three official and at the top position for career US diplomats, was quoted by the news agency Agence-France-Presse after meeting Mr Abhisit as saying he hopes the emergency decree imposed in Bangkok since early April should be lifted as soon as possible.

He also said that Americans had been "deeply saddened" by the violence which occurred during the ten weeks of anti-government demonstrations which ended May 19 with 90 people killed and nearly 1,900 wounded from several clashes between Thai troops and Red Shirt protesters.

Mr Burns is on an official regional tour and will be in Phnom Penh on Saturday before heading to Indonesia and the Philippines, respectively. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-07-16

the PM

Mr Abhisit has briefed the US envoy regarding Thailand's situation and progress on the national reconciliation road map, said Dr Panitan.

Can he tell Thailand about the progress. Or is it a secret between him and the U. S. just asking

if national reconciliation and reform plans are kept on the track and produce a concrete outcome.

IF is the biggest word in the English dictionary!

=====================================================

There are just TOO many open and visible signs and indications that deconciliation and deformation is where Thailand is heading to, add the 'secret' unintelligence reports into the mix. Reconciliation and reformation will NOT work. The Kingdom of Thailand NEEDS TRANSconciliation and TRANSformation. There's a BIG difference of getting back to ABnormal and/or bringing out Thailand's real potential to be a G30 Nation.

[A Chinese -Thai linguistics Prof, neighbour of sister in law told me, off handed, in 2007, that Thailand will be breaking up into 3 countries. It was what led me to fully predict the what happened in 2010. It has become searingly obvious he knew what he was talking about.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Thailand to have a strong & fighting chance to have fair and peaceful elections some criteria would, first, have to established.

Two benchmarks, of the many listed in The Joseph Solution, are, one, there would have to be a NEW politcal system with the automatic, built in corruption watch dog I have designed. Two, Sondhi and Thaksin would both have to be in jail, where they BOTH belong.

Heck, #3, freedom of speech, DUH.

if national reconciliation and reform plans are kept on the track and produce a concrete outcome.

There are just TOO many open and visible signs and indications that deconciliation and deformation is where Thailand is heading to, add the 'secret' unintelligence reports into the mix. Reconciliation and reformation will NOT work. The Kingdom of Thailand NEEDS TRANSconciliation and TRANSformation. There's a BIG difference of getting back to ABnormal and/or bringing out Thailand's real potential to be a G30 Nation.

[A Chinese -Thai linguistics Prof, neighbour of sister in law told me, off handed, in 2007, that Thailand will be breaking up into 3 countries. It was what led me to fully predict the what happened in 2010. It has become searingly obvious he knew what he was talking about.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Thailand to have a strong & fighting chance to have fair and peaceful elections some criteria would, first, have to established.

Two benchmarks, of the many listed in The Joseph Solution, are, one, there would have to be a NEW politcal system with the automatic, built in corruption watch dog I have designed. Two, Sondhi and Thaksin would both have to be in jail, where they BOTH belong.

Eggo, ref this Joseph Solution you're always talking about: Am I the only one ignorant of it's details / your proposals? Do you have this on the internet somewhere for all to see or am I forever going to wonder what you're talking about?

Eggo, ref this Joseph Solution you're always talking about: Am I the only one ignorant of it's details / your proposals? Do you have this on the internet somewhere for all to see or am I forever going to wonder what you're talking about?

Joseph solution is code for I don't know what I am talking about. He has been asked many times and as he doesn't know what he is talking about he can not answer.To bad the guy actually has some good points.

Joseph solution is code for I don't know what I am talking about. He has been asked many times and as he doesn't know what he is talking about he can not answer.To bad the guy actually has some good points.

has good points AND doesn't know what he is talking about

that's as logical as Abhisit's 'keeping something on track' that has never been ON the tracks.

1. I have am presently in discussions with Thais, fully disclosing details of TJS and TJP, learning from them along the way. [you should SEE the 2 years of Email debates I have been having with the founder of the Antithaksin website, for example,--- very good man, but obsessed]

2. I openly visited professors in Surat Thani in Dec/Jan, as well as an agent of King Prajadhipok's Institute to warn of the size of the upcoming riots, which I also fully predicted, several times in this Forum & detailing to them my Remedies, on my own 'holiday' time, again, learning from them, too [do YOU want to visit them?]

3. Thailand is NOT a country of free speech, FYI! Even though the Joseph Solution is respectful to all emements of the Societal make up of The Kingdom of Thailand, some of the important aspects of the structure, details, are not allowed here. AT LEAST 10 times, I have said full discussion is not allowed here. I say it again. Do YOU want to see the Warning emails I have from the Mods? or are you trying to bait me into a suspension? FYI Thailand does NOT have free speech.

4. There is a very 'respected' moderator of TV that has good Connections in Thailand. I 'could' Forward my request to him, BACK in Feb, asking to relay details . His response, 'I won't get involved with Thai politics' . But after all poop broke loose, he did some Posts around the issues.

5. If YOU have any friends or aquaitances who are English speaking Thais, if they can assist, and if they agree, YOU can be a party to my discussions with them of the details. I don't have time to 'explain' myself the flamers who do 'zingy one liners'.

------------------------------------------------------

The reason I Post here, it's like a net, it has led to some good connections. :welcomeani:

What are YOUR remedies for Thailand? What is YOUR plan for implementing the changes that keep Her from falling apart, or going Burma on us?

Edited by eggomaniac

It's something that admin/mods have told him to stop posting about in his repetitious, nonsensical posts. Several of them were deleted in the past with warnings issued, yet after a brief cooling off period, he persists again with it.

It's something that admin/mods have told him to stop posting about in his repetitious, nonsensical posts. Several of them were deleted in the past with warnings issued, yet after a brief cooling off period, he persists again with it.

But as jayjayo stated, at times he has some good points. It's the points I agree with that intrigue me. But, is there any real meat behind those points? Are we going to have to continue debating in our minds: Is there substance or is he a nut case? I agree there really isn't press freedom in Thailand when everybody can be hit up with Lese Majeste (spelling) so darn easily, but Come on eggo, tell us where to go to get the answer.

If there is an election the most probable result is that the PT becomes the largest party but with less seats.

The democrats will form a coalition government just like we have now. The Red shirts will not accept it because they don't understand democracy and think the party that gets the most seats should be in power and we will be back where we started with mass protests fuelled again with Taksins money

what's the rush ?

If there is an election the most probable result is that the PT becomes the largest party but with less seats.

The democrats will form a coalition government just like we have now. The Red shirts will not accept it because they don't understand democracy and think the party that gets the most seats should be in power and we will be back where we started with mass protests fuelled again with Taksins money

what's the rush ?

I think you may be right. When Thaksin was nominally the head of a coaltion government, he for the most part ignored his coalition partners. Abhisit, by contrast, tends to ask for input from coalition partners before making major decisions.

Thaksin was a lot like Richard Nixon, trying to pump up executive power at the expense of legislative and judicial checks and balances, which led to his near-impeachment and resignation. That's where Thaksin went wrong. If the coup hadn't happened he would have maybe lasted one more term and that's it - other parties were leaving the coalition, and his key ministers were resigning one by one.

Edited by wayfarer108