Scooter Rentals In Cm

Firestorm123

What is an average/standard monthly rate for a scooter nowadays in Chiang mai (Nouvo, Air Blade etc.)? I recently visited CM for a few days, and was asked 3200THB/month from a beat up +25K km driven Air Blade, which seemed quite high, especially regarding to the condition of the bike. I was also asked a 3K THB deposit/or leaving my passport to the shop as deposit. Is this also a norm in CM?

Going back there soon and I'm looking for better deals. Some price range and shop recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Didn't find any recent threads about the subject.

POP will do you a better bike (more modern), but will probably cost a minimunm of 150B a day (insurance included) and a 2k deposit. I have an arrangement with someone local to me for 80B/day any time I need one (regardless of the timespan), so you may find somewhere out of the way that will do it cheaper, but watch out for 'broken bike' scams. You will find you do tend to get what you pay for - want a modern bike and comrehensive insurance, then it will cost.

POP will do you a better bike (more modern), but will probably cost a minimunm of 150B a day (insurance included) and a 2k deposit. I have an arrangement with someone local to me for 80B/day any time I need one (regardless of the timespan), so you may find somewhere out of the way that will do it cheaper, but watch out for 'broken bike' scams. You will find you do tend to get what you pay for - want a modern bike and comrehensive insurance, then it will cost.

If you decide to go along and check Pop out, the branch in Ratchamanka Road, pop (no pun intended) into Wandering Star Tour, just opposite, as I know several people who have hired from there - both short and long term rentals who have been quite happy with the standard of the scooters, and compare the rates.

Last time I went to POP I wanted to hire a D-Trakker but they wouldn't do it with insurance.

To the OP, check out the small print with regards to insurance. Sometimes it's cheaper just to replace broken parts than pay excess on some of these policies.

I've found that leaving passport is the norm in most places to be honest, not much use if you need to do a visa run lol

Last time I went to POP I wanted to hire a D-Trakker but they wouldn't do it with insurance.

To the OP, check out the small print with regards to insurance. Sometimes it's cheaper just to replace broken parts than pay excess on some of these policies.

I've found that leaving passport is the norm in most places to be honest, not much use if you need to do a visa run lol

I've heard some dodgy things about POP and had one mate locked up after renting from them Im not going to elaborate but I personally would never rent from POP

I would not leave passport with any rental companies. Know a few people who rent out motorcycles (small operations), they make copy of passport and return it while you wait.

Instead of taking the passport they should just take out the Arrival/Departure form as that would suffice and discourage doing a runner as that would be a lot of hassle I would presume.

Depending on what type of bike you are after, my friend, an English guy I know from my home town, rents out bikes from 2k to 3.5k per month. He maintains them well by servicing them around once a month, just a little tidy up mind. I think he does ask for a passport deposit or copy of the passport I am not sure, but you have to check that with him. He's located on Chang Kian (not to be confused with Chang Klang) just before the Lanna Muay Thai. If you need his number PM me and I'll send it to you.

the prices have definately dropped from 3000 to 2500 a month for a good automatic like airblade - not sure if that includes insurance ?

you can try cm rentals they have an airblade - they will want passport or 5000 deposit - located in center just around the corner from the sirilanna hotel.

i used to use then but i changed to mr mechanic because they were cheaper and now i've changed to one near chiang mai gate and i pay 900 for 2 weeks - an old honda dream but it's fine and reliable - they also have many bikes so maybe worth you taking a look.

some places will drop the price if they want your custom.

i used to check out different shops and they all start out at tourist prices then if you let them know you know the cheapest prices they sometimes drop price for you.

sounds like your after a good condition one rather than a cheap one - which means you may want to think about insurance.

other choice is to put a wanted ad in the classifieds and you'll probably get offers for fino's etc.

good luck.

The Frenchman who has a little shop on a soi just inside the Thai Pei gate offers older Honda scooters for 2000 baht a month and he doesn't take your passport. I rented off him for 2 years before buying my own bikes.