Good Ubon Seafood Restaurant

ontherig

Hi there - thought i'd share and recommend a good seafood place i regularly go to - Tor Goong Pow (not sure if thats spelled correctly)

I like big prawns and this is the freshest / best quality i've found in Ubon. The red crab is also fantastic.

The menu is in Thai only and you eat in small huts around a (no exactly picturesque) pond - with fans - no AC.

The crab was 450 bht 1kg (about 3 big crabs). The prawns start at 240 to 320 bht / kg for monster size.

I go here usually in the afternoon / Thur / Fri or Sat. I went on Sunday once and there were no crab left - you've been warned!

Great place to take the visiting Thai family - every time they visit they want to go there!

Its on the left hand side about 3km north of Big C on the big road (212) to Amnat Charoen - 15, 19' 20" N, 104, 49' 58" E opposite Mitsubushi Fuso.

If any other readers can recommend regular Thai seafood outdoor places (not upmarket places - like Smile / Sepp Soi 9 with awful cover bands included) to take the inlaws then please let me know!

I used to eat on Moon river places but they've really gone down hill.

By the way i have no links to this place - i'm just a foody looking for new places to eat.

Thanks

post-97355-060725800 1279511140_thumb.jp

post-97355-068039500 1279511153_thumb.jp

post-97355-022075500 1279511169_thumb.jp

post-97355-015093200 1279511187_thumb.jp

post-97355-036902900 1279511257_thumb.jp

post-97355-014416300 1279511476_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ontherig

I'm not a seafood lover but my wife is though. So do you know they serve others things as well or just seafood?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris - no not really - didn't see much - some Issan food - Som Tam / Laab - but really these are side dishes to the Prawns, Fish and Crab.

Ontherig

I'm not a seafood lover but my wife is though. So do you know they serve others things as well or just seafood?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris - no not really - didn't see much - some Issan food - Som Tam / Laab - but really these are side dishes to the Prawns, Fish and Crab.

Thanks Ontherig.

Nevertheless we're going to try it out (I'll go for some fish ) . We even might go there tomorrow (friday) late afternoon.

Edited by chris26be

Isn't that a fried rice in your pic?

Yes, it looks like kao pat, grapao, etc, are printed on the menu. These places usually have the standard single dish fare alongside the more expensive seafood selections.

Elwood

Just got back from the restaurant Ontherig discovered earlier. Yes, it's absolutely worth a visit. We ordered crab, prawns, fried fish, kao pat, fish soup and one other dish, and paid only 1100 bath.

For those who don't have a navigation system: it's about 4 km outside Ring Road 231. As Ontherig mentioned, it's across Mitsubishu Fuso. Watch out, there are two Mitsubisihi dealers on this road 212. Fuso is the second one.

Afterwards we watched Tukky, a new Thai movie with English subtitles at Major Cineplex. I remember people telling me foreign movies were dubbed and that Thai movies never had English subtitles in Ubon's cinemas. At least Major seems to have changed its policy.

I went there again on Friday afternoon - stuffed myself silly along with 6 notable Thai others :

2kg Crab, 3kg big prawns, 1 squid dish, 1 sweet/sour fried sea fish, 2 crab fried rice, 3 big oyster shells, 1 Leo, 1 Bottle of Pepsi.

Check bin khap! - 2600 baht.