Excellent Restaurant In Doi Saket

Flatouthruthefog

A friendly American named Archie and his Thai wife are still in their first few months with this place and in my view deserve every success.

It is located on the left as you leave the main 118 CM-CR road, just past the long established Sorn's Restaurant and about half way towards the traffic lights.

The menu is Thai and western, the service much faster than Khun Sorn's (much as I like the moody old chap!), far greater variety and some of the best Fish and Chips (puts on tin helmet and jumps into trench) in the province!

Food and beer prices are reasonable and, when I last looked, a large glass of Montclair red was 90b.

Clientele is American, British and Dutch - oh yes - Thais too.

Closed every Wednesday.

No connection other than as a very happy eater!

Any chance for a little more detail in directions?

What I take away is you are heading north on 118 and then at the doi saket interection, turn right heading towards doi saket.Then before you get to a traffic light, it is on the left past a well known restaruant?

That is how I interpreted what you wrote?

CB

What I take away is you are heading north on 118 and then at the doi saket interection, turn right heading towards doi saket.Then before you get to a traffic light, it is on the left past a well known restaruant?

CB

That is about right, but it is a little closer to the 118 than it is to the traffic light. It is a few doors before you get to the Bangkok Bank on the other side of the street and almost directly across from another bank possibly called the Farmer's Bank or something like that. I too give it a thumbs up for food quality and prices and stop in there at least once a week.

BB

CB

It's only a single block from the intersection to the light with no intervening streets - utterly impossible to get lost! About 1/3 the way up toward the light on the left. The F&C there has been as good as any, the few times I've been.

Another pleasant surprise was Pizza Giardino, on the left (edit-N) side of Hwy 118 at Bo Hin, will be a serious competitor to the inconsistently good food at Locanda in Doi Saket.

Edited by cloudhopper

And on the thread of culinary jewels outside the third ring there's a place called Laap Gai somewhere N of Bo Hin with outstanding regional Thai dishes in a very pleasant setting. Can't really tell you how to get there but well worth finding!

Sabay Sabay has been in Doi Saket for a long it was rented out for a few short months by the present owners to a lady and her farrang boy friend who worked in the middle east who was paying some incredible rent considering its location some thing in the order of 30000 Bht/Month and proceeded to tout the local Karaoke bars for service girls but eventually bussed some in from Khon Kean, giving the rent the location and the theme of the bar it was on the road to certain collapse and shortly after a matter of a couple of months the farrang who was subsidising it came to his senses and promptly pulled out, it was just a matter of time.

It used to be a Massage shop and coffee shop that quickly became popular with the Doi Saket farrangs as a meeting place where they could have an afternoon beer and morning coffee and an excellent massage so i am told but no food as such was available.

The original owners are it seems back and so i would imagine are it;s regular clientel, it has a lovely out side terrace area, and the toilets are immaculate, the addition of a menu is most welcome and i for one will be paying a visit shortly to check out the Fish and chips.

Jumbo Cod and chips please. ;)

Edited by tigerbalm

Sabay Sabay has been in Doi Saket for a long it was rented out for a few short months by the present owners to a lady and her farrang boy friend who worked in the middle east who was paying some incredible rent considering its location some thing in the order of 30000 Bht/Month and proceeded to tout the local Karaoke bars for service girls but eventually bussed some in from Khon Kean, giving the rent the location and the theme of the bar it was on the road to certain collapse and shortly after a matter of a couple of months the farrang who was subsidising it came to his senses and promptly pulled out, it was just a matter of time.

It used to be a Massage shop and coffee shop that quickly became popular with the Doi Saket farrangs as a meeting place where they could have an afternoon beer and morning coffee and an excellent massage so i am told but no food as such was available.

The original owners are it seems back and so i would imagine are it;s regular clientel, it has a lovely out side terrace area, and the toilets are immaculate, the addition of a menu is most welcome and i for one will be paying a visit shortly to check out the Fish and chips.

Jumbo Cod and chips please. ;)

30K a month? That's Loi Kroh prices. My how Doi Saket is growing. :lol:

A bar on LK is trying to change hands. A gentleman's came into town for 3 weeks of parting and put 280k baht down, owes 320K baht to be paid in a month. After he sobered up and realized what he had done and saw that there was NO business he is thinking seriously of just walking away. The present owner gets to keep the 280K and gets to find a new buyer, he also gets to keep the head aches and losses.

A bar on LK is trying to change hands. A gentleman's came into town for 3 weeks of parting and put 280k baht down, owes 320K baht to be paid in a month. After he sobered up and realized what he had done and saw that there was NO business he is thinking seriously of just walking away. The present owner gets to keep the 280K and gets to find a new buyer, he also gets to keep the head aches and losses.

I love those " a guy walks into a bar" type jokes! :)

I love those " a guy walks into a bar" type jokes! :)

The only problem is it's not a joke. It does happen.

• 5 weeks later...

Sabai Sabai, is a winner

Exceptionally Clean and Easy to find

Excellent Food

Excellent Prices

Excellent Service

both owners on Location Providing that extra touch, that is neccessary for long term Success

Great Job keep it up!!

Edited by SBACM

The food was good, the portions were small and the price was high.

I did go there once, but returned to eating at the Thai places which served Tab Tim that were twice the size for 30% less.

If you are a white person happy to pay any price for food or a lonely person who needs to meet other white males, then it's a fine place to eat. (I can't imagine any Thai who pays for themself eating there)

Good coffee in the mornings though and at a reasonable price.

Edited by sarahsbloke

The food was good, the portions were small and the price was high.

I did go there once, but returned to eating at the Thai places which served Tab Tim that were twice the size for 30% less.

If you are a white person happy to pay any price for food or a lonely person who needs to meet other white males, then it's a fine place to eat. (I can't imagine any Thai who pays for themself eating there)

Good coffee in the mornings though and at a reasonable price.

I don't disagree with what you say about the food or the demographics of the customers, but I think that it needs to be put in perspective. Usually when I go there for lunch it runs me 100 or 110 baht for a meal and a soft drink. Even if that's twice what it costs for the same amount of food at Thai food stand, we're still only talking about a little over $3 for a meal in a friendly & comfortable place.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I don't disagree with what you say about the food or the demographics of the customers, but I think that it needs to be put in perspective. Usually when I go there for lunch it runs me 100 or 110 baht for a meal and a soft drink. Even if that's twice what it costs for the same amount of food at Thai food stand, we're still only talking about a little over $3 for a meal in a friendly & comfortable place.

That's true, but I usually eat with my wife and daughter, so 300bht if I eat there, but less than 100bht if we go to the Thai restaurant 100yds down the road (not a stall) for the same meal. My normal daily food budget is 200bht (to feed 2 adults, 1 teen, 2 dogs, 1 cat) including 1 meal in a restaurant. In CM I eat at small Thai restaurants where lunch is even cheaper 25-30bht, a shake or ice cream another 10 bht. Doi Saket is expensive for Thai food compared to CM. It just seems, to me, daft to pay 3x to 4x the price for the same product just to eat somewhere run by a white person and frequented by elderly white men. I actually prefer to be surrounded by young Thais, who are generally more friendly towards me than are elderly white men.

I can fully understand why many white men surrounded by a totally Thai household (wife, stepchildren, hangers on, etc.) feel the need to escape for a while and mix with like minded guys, this is what Doi Saket is all about ........ let's not pretend it is for the food.

The mooban I live in is jokingly referred to, by my wife and the other Thai ladies living, here as "Ban Mia Farang", which I translate as "Village of white mens wives"

Edited by sarahsbloke

Not sure where else in Doi Saket you can get a hamburger....

But, Sabai Sabai's burger was excellent -- and just as big as the one I'd gotten at Sizzler (Airport mall) a few days earlier -- which cost over 500 baht MORE!!

Normally, when I get the urge for Western food, I'll head for Duke's. Now, I have a much-closer-to-home option.

Finding inexpensive Thai food has never been a problem.

(Oh, try their potato salad -- excellent!)

7-11 for 20bht, Tesco Lotus for 19bht, ask at the till

Add your own lettuce, tomato, onions, sauce from the little cooler unit

....... don't forget Smokey Bites for your lady!

Edited by sarahsbloke

But, Sabai Sabai's burger was excellent -- and just as big as the one I'd gotten at Sizzler (Airport mall) a few days earlier -- which cost over 500 baht MORE!!

Normally, when I get the urge for Western food, I'll head for Duke's. Now, I have a much-closer-to-home option.

Finding inexpensive Thai food has never been a problem.

(Oh, try their potato salad -- excellent!)

Sounds like they've expanded the menu a bit since I was last in.

I'm pretty sure that Sizzler does not have any hamburgers anywhere near 500 baht - even with the all you can eat salad bar. If they do, they have raised the prices a LOT. :unsure:

I'm pretty sure that Sizzler does not have any hamburgers anywhere near 500 baht - even with the all you can eat salad bar. If they do, they have raised the prices a LOT. :unsure:

The top burger from the Dukes is only 195 baht and the Sizzler is not the much.B)

I'm pretty sure that Sizzler does not have any hamburgers anywhere near 500 baht - even with the all you can eat salad bar.

You're probably right -- I'm probably remembering the total bill for me and the frau.

But, I'm sure Sabai Sabai's price, for the same hamburger, was cheaper (ok, no salad bar).

Anybody walking by Sizler -- please report the menu's hamburger price. I'm really curious now about my memory's gray matter.

I do really like Sizzler's Teriyaki Burger with Aussie beef, but who wants to eat from the huge salad bar on top of a big cheese burger with fries - and you have no choice but to pay for both. :(

I can eat the burger but not the salad bar at the same setting. To much.

That's true, but I usually eat with my wife and daughter, so 300bht if I eat there, but less than 100bht if we go to the Thai restaurant 100yds down the road (not a stall) for the same meal. My normal daily food budget is 200bht (to feed 2 adults, 1 teen, 2 dogs, 1 cat) including 1 meal in a restaurant. In CM I eat at small Thai restaurants where lunch is even cheaper 25-30bht, a shake or ice cream another 10 bht. Doi Saket is expensive for Thai food compared to CM. It just seems, to me, daft to pay 3x to 4x the price for the same product just to eat somewhere run by a white person and frequented by elderly white men. I actually prefer to be surrounded by young Thais, who are generally more friendly towards me than are elderly white men.

I can fully understand why many white men surrounded by a totally Thai household (wife, stepchildren, hangers on, etc.) feel the need to escape for a while and mix with like minded guys, this is what Doi Saket is all about ........ let's not pretend it is for the food.

The mooban I live in is jokingly referred to, by my wife and the other Thai ladies living, here as "Ban Mia Farang", which I translate as "Village of white mens wives"

I thought it was a retirement home when I passed by, with a closer look I also noticed a lot of older Thai ladies sitting there trying to find a ATM.

I thought it was a retirement home when I passed by, with a closer look I also noticed a lot of older Thai ladies sitting there trying to find a ATM.

:cheesy: