Pain Down Left Side

eek

Wondered if anyone else has experienced a sharp jolt of pain at the end of a swing.

Im new to golf and last week I guess i overdid it by going to the driving range everyday.

I havent played for a week, and today i tried again, but still the same pain. Its making me nervous to play and affecting my swing (apprehensive). Apparently my swing/form etc is all correct.

I do yoga and go to the gym, so fitness and flexibility isnt usually an issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

How about seeing a real doctor?

Well of course. Nice to find out first/also if its a possible common occurrence. Does that not make sense to you?

---

Thanks to all for the possible suggestions. Was hoping to find out that its happened to others. Will find out what the doc has to say about it.

How about seeing a real doctor?

Well of course. Nice to find out first/also if its a possible common occurrence. Does that not make sense to you?

---

Thanks to all for the possible suggestions. Was hoping to find out that its happened to others. Will find out what the doc has to say about it.

I find my body hurts more when I make a bad shot. Any blisters on your hands yet? No, swing harder. 

sounds like you maybe over stretching in some department. or maybe your set up is all wrong.

in that case whoever is teaching you, ie your instructor isnt doing their job properly. the golf swing is a complex thing and can contribute to many aches and pains if not done in the wright way. plus blisters as james said if your grip is wrong.

question are you a tall girl eek?.

if so, you may well be over compensating in fear of not being able to strike the ball at contact (a common trait with people taking up the game for the very first time) hence the pain in your left side. if that be the case then the matter of the way you address the ball, your take away and the club at the top of your swing may have to be re-assessed.

another thing may be the length of the clubs you are using. ask your local pro for a few pointers in what kind of clubs may be suitable for your game.

simple steps are often the best way to get good results. dont try and over complicate things. just take a look at some of the top pros next time you get a chance. they may all have different swings, but they usually do all the basics in the same way.

stance, set up,address, grip, take away, position at the top of the back swing, point of contact and follow through.

and dont try and smash ten tonnes of crap out of the ball, its all about rythm, ala ernie els.

and for god sake use those "HIPS" thats what they were made for!

come on eek a lass like you, i expect you to be a plus 2 handicapper by the end of the year. biggrin.gif after all, i could do with a new partner/bandit to help take money off all these hi-so thai/farangs you find out on the courses of the LOS. laugh.gif

Edited by tigerfish

Thanks tigerfish! Im roughly 5'6"/5'7". As mentioned im fit and im also slim but have good body strength from working out(not sure if that matters or not :blink: ..lol feel like im writing some stats for online dating :lol:) However, i do realise that strength is not the key factor when playing golf. My best shots have felt light as a feather.

Well..im quite bad, because i havent yet been to the doctor yet. But for now I'll give golf a rest till next week.

Coolhandjoe, good to know im not the only one. I really think the problem is that i overdid it. Got hooked..was playing everyday. Tsk!

I WILL be a good player, i will i will :D

• 3 weeks later...

eek:

Signing in a little late on this thread.

Having played golf for most of my adult life, I have found the single best thing you can do to prevent sore muscles after a game is to do some stretching exercises BEFORE you play a round of golf.

Sign up for the Golf Channel and they will show you many exercises you can do before you start out.

I too am adding a comment rather late in this thread. I experienced precisely the same problem, but through my right side...in the intercostal muscles or tendons. My pain came at the end of swing. I had been overswinging in the past 3 months, getting a lot more distance but paid the price with overuse. Too much practice and not enough quality rest. The tip on stretching prior to a practice session or game is excellent advice! I rid myself of the pain by simply laying off for 3 weeks. I am a regular weight training addict, but only using high reps and light weights. Maybe in doing so, I shortened those affected golf muscles and set myself up for microscopic tears in the dynamics of the golf swing. The problem has subsided, and now I will approach the game with a lot more moderation. Good luck.