Two Drives

Totster

On the PC I use the hard drive has been spit into C drive and D Drive. (partitioned?)

I want to install something onto the PC onto the D drive .... however when installing it automatically installs onto the C drive.. now this is a problem as there is not enough room on the C drive for the program to install.

Can I overcome this, and if so, how ..?

totster :o

P.s I'm using Windows 2000

Guest endure
On the PC I use the hard drive has been spit into C drive and D Drive. (partitioned?)

I want to install something onto the PC onto the D drive .... however when installing it automatically installs onto the C drive.. now this is a problem as there is not enough room on the C drive for the program to install.

Can I overcome this, and if so, how ..?

totster  :o

P.s I'm using Windows 2000

Does the installation routine give the option of a 'Custom' installation? This often allows you change the place you install the program.

I've tried to install a couple of programs, more recently RealOne Player...

I have managed to install some programs where it allows a "custome setup" and I can choose the directory...

Just wondering if I can change the default installation drive

You can normally click on the line that says it is going to install to such and such drive/folder and select what you want.  I always did that when I had partitioned drive.

I agree... this can normally be done...however on some programs I have downloaded, it downloads onto the desktop first, then you have to click on that to install... it then installs directly to the C drive without giving any options.

Why not make some space on C: and move excess crap to D:? im sure my docs has a load of crap you could move or delete.....well i know mines does :D

already done that... still not enough room, stuff that's on there has to stay..

Have you moved all the photos, music, documents, backup files and such to D drive? Used to be able to combine drives with software but not sure if you can with the NTFS file system or not. Your problem is why I have deceived not to use partitions on my present computer. I had trouble, being lazy, that I allowed too many programs to fill up C.

Another thing you might do is remove any large programs that you have the CD for and then re-install on D. You may have to move or link working type files but should be able to free up some space.

Edited by lopburi3

You can normally click on the line that says it is going to install to such and such drive/folder and select what you want.  I always did that when I had partitioned drive.

I agree... this can normally be done...however on some programs I have downloaded, it downloads onto the desktop first, then you have to click on that to install... it then installs directly to the C drive without giving any options.

copy the downloaded file from your desktop into your d: drive.

Then doubleclick (run) it from there. It may then install onto the D: drive.

One of the largest files on your C: drive is probably the pagefile.sys, this is your virtual memory and can be around 1Gb.

You should be able to change your setup so this will reside on your D: drive. Go to System, performance, settings, Advanced and change the virtual memory setup.

already done that... still not enough room, stuff that's on there has to stay..

lol by the sounds of it you might want to invest in a second hard drive or an external (bit more expensive mind). That or less g0at pr0n m8 :D tis pretty easy installing a second hard drive too :o

ya might not be able to unless yer actually bootin from the drive yer wanting to install it to..

That's right. All installers use the boot drive by default and ask you if it's OK to continue installing. You just have to override it and type in the drive and directory where you want the package installed.

As a rule, you shouldn't move installation directories from one partition to another as there may be registry and ini entries pointing to the original location. If you really need to move it, uninstall and re-install instead.

One of the largest files on your C: drive is probably the pagefile.sys, this is your virtual memory and can be around 1Gb.

You should be able to change your setup so this will reside on your D: drive. Go to System, performance, settings, Advanced and change the virtual memory setup.

This worked perfectly... many thanks, problem solved... for now anyway.. :o

totster :D

hi'

if you want to change the default destination for installed program, you need to enter the registry.

first : set a folder, name it as you want in D:\

run:regedit, then go to ->

hklm(local machine)/software/microsoft/windows/current version, in the left pane, you'll find a key named "ProgramFilesDir" and face to it "c:program files" as the key value, you need to modify this value. right click on it and choose modify, enter the new(D:\your folder) full path in the key-value box. there you are, all the programs that you would like to install will come up with D:\your folder name :o

you may also change the directory of the "variables" as tmp and temp.

create a folder in D:\ name it as temporary files.

go to control panel/system/performance/advanced and at the bottom of this small window you have "Environment Variables", edit the tmp and temp settings, indicate the new location of these files D:\temporary files and close all and reboot.

hoping that it will help a bit :D

francois

ps; leave the virtual memory as is ... can bring only trouble if you don't know what you're doing exactly :D

Francois advice should work but if you mess with the registry you really have to know exactly what you are doing or you WILL have big problems. Make sure to back up the registry before making any changes.

Changing the virtual memory is safer but will only give so much more disk space until you run out again.

Eventually you should, as someone suggested, get Partition Magic or Partition Manager and repartition your drive to make the C: drive larger.