Is Anything Cheap In Thailand?

kirk0233

Is anything cheap in Thailand other than labor. I find many items such as washing machines, dish wahers, cars, vacuum cleaners, clothing, electronics, houses , etc. much more expensive or the same price as the USA. What is worth buying here and where are the bargains?

• Like 1

most of those items you mentioned are one off items,and dont really relate to the cost of living day to day

you might want to compare the following

electricity

water

house rates

rent

houses

restaurants food prices

fruit

veges

most of those items you mentioned are one off items,and dont really relate to the cost of living day to day

you might want to compare the following

electricity

water

house rates

rent

houses

restaurants food prices

fruit

veges

You forgot about the 'pillow warmer' :lol:

You must have your head in the clouds. Most of those items you mentioned are import items.

If the costs weren't cheaper here, you wouldn't have all the retired expats living on their meager pensions.You also wouldn't have the tourists flocking to Patpong and other flea-markets.

electricity
is certainty not cheap in Thailand, it is 2 to 3 as expensive as most industrialized countries due to the obvious and often mentioned on this site problems with procurement in large and often bloated capital budget projects.

electricity
is certainty not cheap in Thailand, it is 2 to 3 as expensive as most industrialized countries due to the obvious and often mentioned on this site problems with procurement in large and often bloated capital budget projects.

electricity in Thailand is half the price of that in Germany.

p.s. i use infinitely less heating oil in Thailand than i did in Germany :lol:

Edited by Naam

Electricity prices can vary whilst it may be true that in some cases it could b argued that on the whole Electricity is half the price of that in the west taking in to account that the normal rate for many house holds per unit is around 2,5 to 3 bht per unit, i would imagine that if like many condo owners are paying 7 bht a unit then the half price electricity compared to the west would be very questionable.

Also like many things that are cheaper in Thailand (supposedly) one often finds like in the case of electricity providers and even internet providers there is a constant problem with service, getting a constant supply, and getting what you actually paid for come to mind.

In general I do find things here cheaper but it comes at a price ...you pay for what you get or don't get as is many the case in Thailand.

We seem to wallow in the (supposedly) cheapness of things but the people of Thailand are the ones getting the raw deal giving the prices they have to pay if you take their wages in to account compared to the prices in the west and the wages people earn there.

Just an observation

electricity

I think that many of us cant see the forest because of all the trees.

There is no doubt in hel_l if you compare it with everyday stuff and

not make it so dam_n hard.

I compare with Sweden (industrialized) country) and I find that the food I am

eating is at least 5 times cheaper here than back home. I can give you a list of

much much more that is included in my everyday life here, and it is extremely

cheap to live in Thailand.

Of course you are obviously living in Bangkok or some other cityarea, congrats to

that, especially if you like to compare prices...

Just the prices in Bangkok is the mayor reason for so many of us choose NOT to live

there, but more often out on the countryside.

Glegolo

I'm surprised nobody has said that already! Perhaps because the question wasn't posted in the Pattaya or Phuket forums?

LIFE is cheap in Thailand :ermm:

And seriously, when you can save 50-75% on comparable rent EACH MONTH, 50% on food EACH DAY, what's the point of complaining that imported goods (the only ones worth buying) which are purchased perhaps once every 3-6 years are a little more expensive?

Here's the rule (based on my years of observation): If it is a true necessity of life, it is cheap. If it is not a true necessity, it is expensive. Food in sit down resataurants can be expensive; raw foods from street markets are cheap. Gasoline powered vehicles are fairly expensive (even if not imported); third class bus and train tickets are cheap. Electronics are expensive. There are not any necessary electronics. Basic housing is cheap. Small amounts of electricity are cheap (flourescent lighting for a small house); the KWH price goes up considerably and becomes quite expensive with increased consumpstion (running air conditioners all day). Simple clothes purchased in a street market are cheap; name brands styles purchased in a mall cost an arm and leg.

If you live a basic lifestyle in the US, it is going to be expensive; no choice in it. Here, you have a choice. You can live a very basic lifestyle like a Thai villager, in a shack in a village, buying only raw local foods in the local markets, using only buses for transportation, and spend practically nothing, or you can live a Yellow Shirt Bangkok lifestlye few of us can even imagine eating lobster with expensive imported wine everyday in a palatial home with two Ferraris and several BMW motorcycles in the garage.

It is really pretty simple.

Edited by TongueThaied

Washing machines are much cheaper than the west ..... my Samsung top loader was 7000bht, in the west my front loader was 280UKP (about half)

Dish washer ....... wife does it by hand, no extra cost, essentially free.

Vacuum ...... wife and broom, no extra cost, essentially free.

Clothes ..... nice little evening dress 250bht (1/5 to 1/10 the price of the UK)

Houses much cheaper .... Thialand house 1.7million bht, UK house 250,000UKP

Electronics ..... 10-50 percent more than UK, (work around- import from USA much cheaper)

Cars ....... same price as UK new, much more expensive second hand. (work around- drive a scooter)

Electricity, I reluctantly have to agree with Naam, about 1/2 the UK price, and an even bigger savings on my heating oil bills.

Bangkok is expensive, much like every other capital city of the world, so why live there?

Edited by sarahsbloke

While the unit cost may be cheaper for electricity, I find that my electricity bill is nearly three times more than I was paying in Australia due to the fact that we use aircons all the time. :annoyed:

Do you live in a house paying the government rate or a condo paying the condo management rate?

Edited by tigerbalm

electricity

is it?

electricity rate per kw/h in Thailand is roughly 3.4 baht or about 4 baht with ft charge, depending on usage which equates to US 12 cents

most of the industrialized countries listed range from 7 cents to 37 cents US per kw/h, which isnt 2-3 times cheaper than Thailand.

While the unit cost may be cheaper for electricity, I find that my electricity bill is nearly three times more than I was paying in Australia due to the fact that we use aircons all the time. :annoyed:

Do you live in a house paying the government rate or a condo paying the condo management rate?

Family house, usage is above government subsidy rate, so including FT charge - about 3.65B per unit.

Washing machines are much cheaper than the west ..... my Samsung top loader was 7000bht, in the west my front loader was 280UKP (about half)

Dish washer ....... wife does it by hand, no extra cost, essentially free.

Vacuum ...... wife and broom, no extra cost, essentially free.

Clothes ..... nice little evening dress 250bht (1/5 to 1/10 the price of the UK)

Houses much cheaper .... Thialand house 1.7million bht, UK house 250,000UKP

Electronics ..... 10-50 percent more than UK, (work around- import from USA much cheaper)

Cars ....... same price as UK new, much more expensive second hand. (work around- drive a scooter)

Electricity, I reluctantly have to agree with Naam, about 1/2 the UK price, and an even bigger savings on my heating oil bills.

Bangkok is expensive, much like every other capital city of the world, so why live there?

Just curious, what kind of house do you get for 1.7 million? I live in a 3 million bht house and find it to be very small with very little land. Is this the kind of house you would get in the UK for the 12,000,000 baht you described? For the equivalent of 3 million baht in the uSA I would get a much larger house and better designed house with a large garden. What I generally understand from the posts so far on this topic is if you want to live like a Thai that makes 10,000 baht a month and eat pork balls at food stalls life is cheap. However, If I want a Denon receiver that is made in Japan I should import it from the USA for a cheaper price. Apparently Thailand is not about middle class existence. You have to be rich using Thai standards to afford what our home countries offered for a basic middle class lifestyle .

I just wonder why some Local Meteoroligist  :rolleyes: (see earthquake prediction thread for more insight) hasn't figured out that if you drill far enough down to the earth's core, you can find a heat source in which to generate steam and ultimately endless electricity? Perhaps they are waiting for the proposed nuclear reactor to melt-down in order to save the labour?  :unsure:

For the equivalent of 3 million baht in the uSA I would get a much larger house and better designed house with a large garden.

Well, that does depend on how much experience you have building your own log cabins out in the middle of the wilderness.

Just curious, what kind of house do you get for 1.7 million? I live in a 3 million bht house and find it to be very small with very little land. Is this the kind of house you would get in the UK for the 12,000,000 baht you described? For the equivalent of 3 million baht in the uSA I would get a much larger house and better designed house with a large garden. What I generally understand from the posts so far on this topic is if you want to live like a Thai that makes 10,000 baht a month and eat pork balls at food stalls life is cheap. However, If I want a Denon receiver that is made in Japan I should import it from the USA for a cheaper price. Apparently Thailand is not about middle class existence. You have to be rich using Thai standards to afford what our home countries offered for a basic middle class lifestyle .

Western style 3 bedroom bungalow with 1 en suite, 1 separate shower room, western interior kitchen, Thai outside kitchen, open plan living room, included 2 air con units and most furniture. Garden 2x floor area of house, outside covered dining area, car port and tiled drive for 2 cars, nice moobaan outside ChiangMai.

I didn't buy for the offered price of 1.7 million, but rented for 7,000bht a month. Pretty much what I had in the UK for 12million bht, but closer to a big city.

DSCF1176.jpgDSCF1177.jpg

But take a look at some of the ads on Thai Visa

1.9 million

3 million 4 bed house with moat

1.2 million 2 houses 4 beds + 2 beds

Edited by sarahsbloke

Western style 3 bedroom bungalow with 1 en suite, 1 separate shower room, western interior kitchen, Thai outside kitchen, open plan living room, included 2 air con units and most furniture. Garden 2x floor area of house, outside covered dining area, car port and tiled drive for 2 cars, nice moobaan outside ChiangMai.

I didn't buy for the offered price of 1.7 million, but rented for 7,000bht a month. Pretty much what I had in the UK for 12million bht, but closer to a big city.

DSCF1176.jpgDSCF1177.jpg

1.9 million

Nice one.

So far this year out in the country I have used the a/c for about 50 hours and that was for family coming up from BKK.

We always use fans but the bad news is that the buggers are coming up again at the weekend. :bah:

So far this year out in the country I have used the a/c for about 50 hours and that was for family coming up from BKK.

We always use fans but the bad news is that the buggers are coming up again at the weekend. :bah:

DSCF1176.jpgDSCF1177.jpg

1.9 million

Again, this all depends on where you live. I had a friend over here visiting from Rochester, NY. He was astounded at the housing prices. Where he is at, 3 million baht gets you well over 1 rai of land and a 2500 sq. ft. house. Here, 3 million baht hardly gets you a shack on a postage stamp size of land, even when you head well out past Rangsit and commute an hour and a half to work each day. Of course, you can always find cheap houses on farm land, as the post above shows. But then again, good farmland is alot cheaper in the US than it is here too. 50,000 baht for a rai of kaolin laden clay in the middle of Buriram with no road access? Some people here are nuts.

Depending on what you want to compare I suppose you could find some housing cheaper in Thailand. But when rating Bangkok against most other cities in the states you find the housing purchase prices in the suburbs of BKK substantially higher. Renting is still a little less, but that gap is closing fast as the USD falls and the THB rises.

Housing is definitely NOT cheap in Bangkok. Not by a long shot.

Food you buy at the market, service industry items like haircuts, and some types (not all types) of clothing are about the only cheap things left in Thailand. Just try buying a good pair of socks here in Thailand at a reasonable price. Walmart has them for 1/3 the price. I always ask people coming from the states to bring socks.

I always ask people coming from the states to bring socks.

That pretty much says it all, but I can easily live in Thailand for 25% of what it costs in the U.S. and not have to do my own cooking or cleaning and have WAY more fun. To each his own I guess. :blink: