What Are Your Older Children Doing Now?

g00dgirl

I would like to ask Thaivisa members with older children (about 17 onwards) what their children are doing now, what kind of work or further education here or back in your home country they are pursuing, after going to school in Thailand.

What age did they start to attend preschool or school, what type of school was it, for how long did they go to school in Thailand, what languages do they speak and what are they doing now?

Edited by g00dgirl

My daughter who will be 24 this September returned to Thailand after graduating from university in the US. We moved here when she was 8 and she graduated from ISB. She returned to the US for college, then returned to pursue business opportunities. She is currently training as a professional dancer. Surprisingly, many of her friends have also returned to Thailand to work after graduating from university elsewhere.

Can I speak for myself? Haha... I'm 19. I must have started Kindergarden at three years of age? I started at Bangkok Patana School for a couple of years until my mother thought I sould go stay with Grandparents for a little while in the country so I went to Assumption College. I then went to Phuket at the Dulwich International College ( British International School of Phuket ) in 1996 where I went for two years and moved back to Bangkok where I have attented Harrow International School from 1998 right up until 2007, when I left with great IGCSE results. I then moved to the UK to go to a sixth form college at Langley School where I did my A-levels to get into University in the UK to study physiotherapy.

I can obviously speak, read and write Thai and English well. But also I can speak and read Chinese Mandarin, enough French and German to get by and Estonian from my bestfriend.

Edited by girlbetterknow

Thanks girlbetterknow. That is most interesting and congratulations on your achievements. I am sure there are quite a few with young children like myself who are considering a future in Thailand or already have children in school there, that will be pleased to see what you have achieved. Obviously each individual case is somewhat different and each child too. Not all are cut out for University, but it is nice to see what you have achieved and shows that it can be done.

As a matter of interest why did you move to the UK to attend sixth form college as opposed to completing that in Thailand ? Was it to satisfy residency requirements prior to attending University there or for purely educational reasons ?

Good luck with your University studies.

I thought that change would be a nice fresh start. Somewhere new where I could have the experience and stay in my Fathers 2nd home City with his side of the family. Even though I was a boarding school student at the sixth form I was allowed to go home at the weekends. My School Harrow International School which I attended until I finished High was the best school out of the lot and I would have loved to have stayed and finished sixth form there but it was my time to move on from being there for just under 10 years. I was not one to find school easy at all, and being dyslexic did not help either. But I got all the support at Harrow to help me achieve where I am now and obviously if I didn't put my mind to it and put in hard work then I would not be where I am now. It does show that if you do put your mind to it you can do it :) I was never pushed into doing anything that I didn't want to do , but I had many paths to choose from and some of them may have not been the right choices but I have learnt I learn from my own mistakes. I did find it hard growing up in the country at Assumption College but there is not really any words to describe what I felt about the place. But thank you for your blessings if you want to know any more just ask :)

We have two American/Thai daughters both educated through university level in the USA and never lived in Thailand so our situation doesn't quite fit your question. One is 29 and now an electrical engineer working for an engineering consulting firm and the other is 35 and a Senior Clinical Research Associate reviewing new drug clinical trials for Pharma companies.

My step son works in pattayaland 2,and is a wonderful dancer.He earns big money because he has many farang lady sponsors.I think he will marry a farang lady,and have some wonderful children,but he promises papa he will continue to have lady sponsors and take care me

My step son works in pattayaland 2,and is a wonderful dancer.He earns big money because he has many farang lady sponsors.I think he will marry a farang lady,and have some wonderful children,but he promises papa he will continue to have lady sponsors and take care me

:D

Kudos! You've raised a fine boy there.