New Mac Mini - How To Share Internet Connection ?

ThaiLife

My neighbour has been trying out my 24 inch iMac and now wants to get a Mac of his own, he's been to the local Apple reseller and likes the small form look of the new Mac mini , one think he likes about my iMac is the ability to share its internet connection with other computers via its built in AirPort Extreme .

So he wanted to know if he buy's a new Mac mini what's the best way he could then share the new Mac mini's internet connection with other computers in his house . ( his internet connection is the same as mine - CAT CDMA USB Modem )

I don't really have any more experiance with sharing an internet connection other that using the iMac's

AirPort Extreme option

If possible he would like to keep with Apple products , but is open to suggestions

so what do you guy's think ?

You can share your internet connection through the mini in exactly the same way as you do with an imac.

( the internet sharing tab, in your sharing preferences panel in the system preferences)

No need for an Airport Express if you have your mac connected to the modem

Buy Airport express http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/. Good for up to 10 users. Easy to set up. It is portable. I have used it worldwide.

When you set up password-sharing the connection is as easy. Just enter password into other computers. Works with PC based also.

Hi and thanks for the reply , I will pass this info on to ny neighbour and see what he thinks

:jap:

You can share your internet connection through the mini in exactly the same way as you do with an imac.

( the internet sharing tab, in your sharing preferences panel in the system preferences)

No need for an Airport Express if you have your mac connected to the modem

Hi and thanks for the reply, I think my neighbour is looking at a way to connect his other computers to the internet via Wi-Fi ( like the iMac's AirPort Extreme ) and not via a cable , or have I got it wrong with the new Mac mini ?

Buy Airport express http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/. Good for up to 10 users. Easy to set up. It is portable. I have used it worldwide.

When you set up password-sharing the connection is as easy. Just enter password into other computers. Works with PC based also.

Hi, Ive now had a look at this with my neighbour and it looks like you have to use an Ethernet wired internet connection to feed the unit, on my iMac all I do is plug in my CAT CDMA USB modem and then the iMac's AirPort Extreme broadcasts the Wi-Fi to my other Wi-Fi enabled computers .

I cannot see how you can use a USB modem with the AirPort Express unit

can any one comment on this please :)

here's what it says on the Apple web page ..

With AirPort Express connected to your DSL or cable modem, up to 10 users at a time can surf the web, send email, annihilate the competition in multiplayer games, and much more — wire-free.

Apple Web Page - Link

if you connect the modem with a cable to the Mini, you can set up a wifi network on the mini to share with the rest of your computers

if you want all your computers to connect wirelessly to the internet (including the mini) you can do that with any wifi router, I use a 1000 baht Belkin Basic router, works fine.