New Thailand Car Tags Available Next Month

webfact

ROAD AND TRAFFIC TECHNOLOGY

New car tags available next month

By Jirapan Boonnoon

The Nation

gallery_327_1086_11726.jpg

RFID network able to monitor car movements

From next month, vehicle owners will have the choice of installing a radio-frequency identification (RFID) tag on their windscreens instead of conventional registration stickers.

The new-generation registration tags are being offered by the Land Transport Department under its Smart RFID Project, in an effort to use technology to enhance its services to the public.

The department's director-general Chairat Sanguancheu said the project would provide Smart RFID registration tags at a cost of Bt120, which would be additional to the normal cost of annual registration fees.

Smart RFID registration involves both a Smart Tag and a Smart Pass. A technical advisor to the project, Namchoke Somapa, said the Smart Tag was a new-generation annual vehicle-tax label that came bundled with an RFID chip with a memory capacity of 64 kilobytes. This will hold details of the vehicle model, colour, registration number and expiry date and will be stuck, as usual, on the vehicle's windscreen.

The Smart Pass is an RFID tag that will be installed on the vehicle's headlights, and will bring the vehicle in direct contact with a new government RFID network designed to provide real-time information on a vehicle's whereabouts and identity.

Chairat said the network currently linked the Land Transport Department with the Department of Corrections and the Royal Thai Police, and there were plans to connect with other government agencies. It enables the departments to access and transfer information in real time.

In the first year, the Smart RFID project will install about 450 RFID readers on main roads around the country. They will be capable of reading the Smart Pass information from vehicles passing within 14 metres, at speeds up to 200 kilometres per hour. The readers will send information to a system centre in real time, keeping track of vehicles and monitoring their movements.

A car encountering any problems on the road will be instantly locatable.

Namchoke said the project expected to provide about 2 million Smart RFID registration tags out of Thailand's total of 22 million vehicles.

The project is planning future developments in which new services will be offered to Smart RFID users, such as e-claims, vehicle tracking, smart parking, real-time traffic monitoring, traffic planning and check points.

The new Smart RFID registrations will be available from August 11.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-27

I guess it could help recover a stolen car (if the thief didn't remove it when initially stolen) as the car is driving on the highways, but I'm not ready to let the government know/track my travels nor pay an additional 120 Baht to allow them to do such. I'll need to see more info/details on the future developments talked about in the article. And I expect those vehices passing an RFID at 200 kilometers/hour could get a traffic ticket by mail at some point in the programs development process.

I Perth Australia they introduced a system a couplke of years ago where special cameras scan the number plate and live computer access told them to stop the car based on warrents or suspect. I believe in the UK they use facial recognition on tollways for the same purpose.

Probably could have some benefits such as tracking a stolen car. However car thieves will be fast to adapt and remove the tags. I think it serves the authorities to identify if road taxes have been paid or for speed control purposes. What amazes me is that the authorities always push for new projects, when the basics (tollway tag f.e.) are still not there...

So Big Brother has found Thailand.  RFID chips on our vehicles has limitless possibilities to abuse the personal freedoms and rights of the people.  They will know not only where you are but where you have been, they will be able to track all of your movements and profile them.  Once all the monitoring stations are all up they will want to issue ID cards, drivers licenses, and maybe even visas with RFID chips.  Newer U.S. passports already have RFID chips in them so once this program is set up the Thai police could conceivably track us too.  I just don't like this one bit, I like to live off the beaten path, out of sight out of mind.  <br>

• Like 1

I guess it could help recover a stolen car (if the thief didn't remove it when initially stolen) as the car is driving on the highways, but I'm not ready to let the government know/track my travels nor pay an additional 120 Baht to allow them to do such. I'll need to see more info/details on the future developments talked about in the article. And I expect those vehices passing an RFID at 200 kilometers/hour could get a traffic ticket by mail at some point in the programs development process.

Sooner or later it will be like Singapore. Big Brother will watching you! Later on, they maybe connect this particilar Chip with the engine management system. Future idea: You don't pay your roadtax on time, they can stop your engine at the same day.

Wait until the day when the RFID reader will send back info to someone saying you parked at Central Childlom for two hours before doing the same at Paragon. Out of the blue you will be asking yourself why am I getting SMSs telling me of some sale in the mall.

Now if insurance companies will lower their rates because we all have RFIDs to protect our cars, it might make sense but me thinks its just George Orwell's cousin trying to keep tabs on your every move. Pretty soon your loved ones will track your car live on the internet - for a monthly fee of course !

Where is that Paranoid topic from last week?

Edited by bkkjames

Wait until you can't log into your ISP or use an Icafe without your smart card plugged into the PC you are using.:ph34r: or a scan of your passport. Then some hacker clones your card to post a load of LM treads. Lets not be in a hurry or encourage them.

• Like 1

I see no positive uses for this device......I concur with most of the coments...Big Brother is already in the south with the use of only registered cell phones with the govt. With all the monitors in place its too easy to profile and misuse the info, or issiue speeding tickets.

<br />I see no positive uses for this device......I concur with most of the coments...Big Brother is already in the south with the use of only registered cell phones with the govt.  With all the monitors in place its too easy to profile and misuse the info, or issiue speeding tickets.<br />
<br /><br /><br />I see no positive uses? If your car is stolen, govt help to find your car.

A sinister development.

I'm deeply suspicious of any moves touted as beneficial which are based on information gathering. They'll soon be trotting out that old NuLab canard "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear".

I always do my utmost to avoid any sort of governmental tracking. What I choose to do and where I choose to go is my business, and has nothing to do with any officious busybody.

<br />I see no positive uses for this device......I concur with most of the coments...Big Brother is already in the south with the use of only registered cell phones with the govt. With all the monitors in place its too easy to profile and misuse the info, or issiue speeding tickets.<br />
<br /><br /><br />I see no positive uses? If your car is stolen, govt help to find your car.

If your car is stolen 9 out of 10 times it will be parted and half sold before the ink on the police report is dry. That tag will be found in the big bin out back of the Big C. :jap:

They will be capable of reading the Smart Pass information from vehicles passing within 14 metres, at speeds up to 200 kilometres per hour

Speeding fines are in the mail, though RFID tags can be easily wiped of info. Anyone at the big stores checkouts can wipe the RFID eg: DVD puchased so the alarms don't go off.

Probably a new money earner, wipe your rego RFID for 100 baht :lol:

Edited by Garry

"If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear". Just like SOE in Bangkok. It has not affected anyone I know.

Having something or nothing to hide is irrelavant.

Just another tagging device on us. We are losing our rights as private living individuals.

I rad this article this morning, just been down to the shops, I passed or was passed by 37 cars, 8 did not even have a number plate. How many had plates and not registered I don't know. I know of 3 number plate shops within 2km radius of me, and down at the local markets, people have stalls with about 200+ registration stickers you can put on your windscreen for 100b each.

So why don't they close down these market stalls? I bet they are run by the Gov employees !!!!

Just remember, if a unregistered motor bike with a 12yo unlicensed driver who is drunk hits your car, you will be paying in Thailand unless you are well connected to the local cop shop. And if the drunk criminal kid dies, you WILL be paying out to their family. Fact.

Edited by haveaniceday

"If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear". Just like SOE in Bangkok. It has not affected anyone I know.

You might think you have nothing to hide... The government might think something completely different...